Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2005   #1
D-Rob23
Veteran

Default ESPN.COM "Welcome to Perpetual Putridity

from ESPN.COM Page 2
"Welcome to Perpetual Putridity"
By Bill Simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/051209

"In a perfectly disguised quest to land Reggie Bush, the Texans decided against firing floundering coach Dom Capers -- not even after his team rolled over not once, but twice, in front of a Sunday night TV audience, to the point that even Joe Theismann couldn't think of anything positive to say about him -- then intentionally threw away potential victories in Week 12 (blowing a 10-point lead with less than 30 seconds remaining) and Week 13 (allowing Kyle Boller to become the worst QB in NFL history to lead a game-winning two-minute drill). Are they throwing the season? Sure looks like it. Can you blame them? Probably not. After all, Reggie Bush is the next Gale Sayers. Either way, they virulently suck."
Old 12-09-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob23
from ESPN.COM Page 2
By Bill Simmons

"In a perfectly disguised quest to land Reggie Bush, the Texans decided against firing floundering coach Dom Capers -- not even after his team rolled over not once, but twice, in front of a Sunday night TV audience, to the point that even Joe Theismann couldn't think of anything positive to say about him -- then intentionally threw away potential victories in Week 12 (blowing a 10-point lead with less than 30 seconds remaining) and Week 13 (allowing Kyle Boller to become the worst QB in NFL history to lead a game-winning two-minute drill). Are they throwing the season? Sure looks like it. Can you blame them? Probably not. After all, Reggie Bush is the next Gale Sayers. Either way, they virulently suck."
Good to see that the Sportscenter Anchor starter kit, Page 2, is still being used. I have only read Page 2 when people site it as a source, but there is nothing of avlue that comes from it. These guys know nothing.
Old 12-09-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

It is an offthecuff article hopefully to cause a stir. Mostly filled with opinion and conjecture. What an *****ic article.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob23
from ESPN.COM Page 2
By Bill Simmons

What a jackass this writer is, how we could purposely throw those two games, especially the circumstances surrounding the St. Louis game, give me a break.

Reggie Bush is a great college player, and I am sure he will be sucessful in the Pro's, but can he PLEASE play at least one snap in the NFL before we reserve his spot in the Hall of Fame. I understand his phsical abilities and his likeness to Gale Sayers, but you still have to go out and do it. If that is not the case, then maybe the NFL could send us a Lombardi trophy because I can say with some accuracy we will when a superbowl in the next 20 years....go ahead and give it to us now.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 12-09-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
It is an offthecuff article hopefully to cause a stir. Mostly filled with opinion and conjecture. What an *****ic article.
I should have a been as composed as you were, instead I needed to rant.
Old 12-09-2005   #6
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
In a perfectly disguised quest to land Reggie Bush, the Texans decided against firing floundering coach Dom Capers -- not even after his team rolled over not once, but twice, in front of a Sunday night TV audience, to the point that even Joe Theismann couldn't think of anything positive to say about him
Thank goodness someone was finally able to offer a valid reason for keeping Dom around. Maybe McNair along with C&C really do have a plan to improve the Texans after all.
Old 12-09-2005   #7
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

What grade is this guy in ?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2005   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

What a load of puerile punditry.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

you guys are taking simmons way too seriously. he writes these kinds of articles every week and they are intended to be taken as a joke. i really don't think he believes most of the stuff he writes, he is just trying to be humorous.

i think his take on how michael vick has to be worried about being over taken by reggie bush as the must play madden player was pretty funny.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
you guys are taking simmons way too seriously. he writes these kinds of articles every week and they are intended to be taken as a joke. i really don't think he believes most of the stuff he writes, he is just trying to be humorous.
Ok, change my comment to piquant pablum.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

i think his take on how michael vick has to be worried about being over taken by reggie bush as the must play madden player was pretty funny.
We take the Texans seriously, not Simmons.
Old 12-09-2005   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I agree with tulexan, and that is pretty damned rare. I would be pissed if there is anything I could do about Simmons' blasphemies, but short of hunting him down and doing the job myself, there isn't. Some of it was funny, other parts not, in the end I give it a big fat who cares?
I mean no disrespect to the poster, but it is this type of drivel that people will begin to cite as a source. I would not post it myself and since it is here for us to offer a take, we are.

I would trust that most know what Page 2 is, but then there are those who do not.
Old 12-09-2005   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a slightly humorous article, but not meant to be taken seriously in any aspect, IMO. Although it is an interesting take about NFL parity.

His Norv Tuner blast was pretty funny.

Perpetual Putridity would not make a good band name, though. Too hard to remember.
Old 12-09-2005   #14
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Exactly DB...

it's called humor guys. They'll be the first guys on the wagon when the team makes their way into the playoffs.

and yes, we do virulently suck!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I must concur.
Well I didn't know better, meaning I didn't know this guy and his satire. And that it was meant to be funny. I took it as an insult, especially about the part that we suck. So I will consider myself a little more informed.

That being said, a true fan of the Texans can get mad and say we suck, it happens, we have a right because we care so much. But some Schmuck of the street, bandwagoner trying to do the same thing doesn't go over quit as well. That's how I took it. So I may have jumped to their defense a little quick.
Old 12-09-2005   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Bill Simmons is actually one of the better writers for ESPN.com. I suggest reading some of his archived articles, some of them are very entertaining.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #17
texanbychoice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
Well I didn't know better, meaning I didn't know this guy and his satire. And that it was meant to be funny. I took it as an insult, especially about the part that we suck. So I will consider myself a little more informed.

That being said, a true fan of the Texans can get mad and say we suck, it happens, we have a right because we care so much. But some Schmuck of the street, bandwagoner trying to do the same thing doesn't go over quit as well. That's how I took it. So I may have jumped to their defense a little quick.
when people clue in that true fans know when there team sucks, but if your a true fan you stand by them no mater what. nobody really liked the cowboys until they won 3 superbowls in 4 years. the texans know defeat very well this season, but we all will see what they are made of next season (BUSH OR NO BUSH)
texanbychoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanbychoice
nobody really liked the cowboys until they won 3 superbowls in 4 years.
I don't know man....

They were the self-proclaimed "America's Team" since the '70's.

I never liked 'em, but I know many folks who've been fans since way back.
Old 12-09-2005   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanbychoice
when people clue in that true fans know when there team sucks, but if your a true fan you stand by them no mater what. nobody really liked the cowboys until they won 3 superbowls in 4 years. the texans know defeat very well this season, but we all will see what they are made of next season (BUSH OR NO BUSH)

I am a diehard, and will be behind this team no matter what. It hurts to be this bad right now, but one day when we are doing great it will all be worth it!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read