Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013   #681
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
God knows I couldn't go off of the NFL record breaking passing yards Luck put up, his record breaking amount of 4th quarter comebacks, or his wins and loss record, because that would be stupid.. but since you posted some exact examples of this criteria below,
yes it would be stupid to give the QB too much credit for team accomplishments; 4th qtr comebacks, or W-L record.

& he only broke the rookie passing record because the coach left him in the game. Any other QB, like Blaine Gabbert, putting up similar numbers wouldn't be allowed to throw the ball so much, & Blaine is a second year player. Had he not torn his shoulder & played the rest of the season the way he started the season, he'd have finished with 3700 yards, 20 TDs, & 13 INTs

Most people would say that wasn't good enough & I don't understand how another 600 yards, 3 TDs, & 5 INTs would be enough to look at a second QB & say, "Yup, he's the real deal." Or "I want that guy as my starter."

Quote:

I'll go off of that.

Both Eli's and Troy's #s are lower.. granted Troy's completion % was 2.5% higher in his SECOND YEAR STARTING (and if we're going by how you compared Luck to Gabbert, I'm now comparing a rook to the statistical year of 2nd year players) both QBR ratings were lower and they both had a lower TD to INT ratio..
sigh... all that means is that Aikman sucked his second year.

But yeah, you're right about Eli. He sucked from 2004 through 2007 but managed to keep his job. I recall people questioning his ability, maybe not so much his status as a starter, but definitely as a leader & "elite"

Like Luck, he had a penchant for "come back wins" (which I think are team credits, but alas) & I did admire his toughness, Eli's not Luck's.

So yeah, you were right, I was wrong. You were able to find a QB that played as poorly as Luck & managed to keep his job for multiple years. Who knows, maybe Blane Gabbert will win multiple Super Bowls too.
Old 08-31-2013   #682
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

How has Luck become the focal point in a Case Keenum thread?
Old 08-31-2013   #683
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well, conversations do flow in weird directions naturally, but then again there are those poster who want to smarter than the rest of us.
Old 08-31-2013   #684
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He feels lucky.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #685
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This guy above, this guy from day one has had a habitual problem with seeing the obvious (Like being able to sit back and witness a QB competition that was obvious to EVERYONE). Like Tex mentioned, He just might be a troll. I'm a Texans fan through and through, but also pay attention to our divisional rivals. How anybody can actually compare Luck to Elaine is beyond me.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #686
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uhh, probably because Keenum would never have thrown as many interceptions as Luck?
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #687
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

You'll never see me calling another poster names, or insulting their good reputations.

Case will be #3, won't be active on game day. Kubiak put on a good show, fooled some of us. But Case was never going to be more than #3.
Old 08-31-2013   #688
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You'll never see me calling another poster names, or insulting their good reputations.

Case will be #3, won't be active on game day. Kubiak put on a good show, fooled some of us. But Case was never going to be more than #3.
Keenum will be #3 this year but to say he never had a chance is to seem like you just don't like him. Yates actually stepped up his game this preseason. IF he hadn't, Keenum would have done enough to be #2.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #689
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well I'll go ahead and make a statement I have nothing to back it up with too - if Yates had played poorly, case would be the back up. But since it was about even experience and familiarity won out. Had Yates played poorly case would be the no brainier for back up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #690
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No it doesn't

LOL, now you're comparing Luck to Elaine Gabbert? Wow.

Also it's true that one man doesn't win 11 games, but a very good QB gives you the chance to win every week. A very good QB can step in and from day #1 and can turn the worst team in the entire league from a year before and take the team to the playoffs.... Luck did that. Elaine Gabbert will be released before he ever sniffs the playoffs as a starting QB.
Yup. Very much this.^^^^ I can't recall a QB that gets the ol' "deer in the headlights" look quicker or more consistently than poor Elaine.

"Whoa M'FKR!" I loved that!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #691
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Comparing Luck to Gabbert = LOL

This argument is another version of Shaub's a winner vs Schaub stinks in big games argument.

Stats dont make QB's winners. I think TK is a stats guy who must not have watched Luck play last yr. Outside of Luck helping keep up the annual tradition of kicking the Texans butts in Indy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #692
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDave View Post
Keenum will be #3 this year but to say he never had a chance is to seem like you just don't like him. Yates actually stepped up his game this preseason. IF he hadn't, Keenum would have done enough to be #2.
I don't like him. I don't hate him.

I think he has a good chance of being our QB of the future, more so than Tj. But we're thinking Super Bowl & there's no way Kubiak is going to go into his 3rd play-off game three years in a row with a QB who's never played in a play-off game if he can help it.

Regardless how poorly/great they played in the preseason.
Old 08-31-2013   #693
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Comparing Luck to Gabbert = LOL

This argument is another version of Shaub's a winner vs Schaub stinks in big games argument.

Stats dont make QB's winners. I think TK is a stats guy who must not have watched Luck play last yr. Outside of Luck helping keep up the annual tradition of kicking the Texans butts in Indy.
I've watched Luck plenty, not impressed. I've seen many QBs come & go that played as well, or as poorly as Luck, you have too, in recent years there've been several rookies with better seasons. Maybe not W-L, but again, that's more about the team than the QB.

Mark Sanchez was guaranteed $12M in 2012 & is guaranteed $8M in 2013 because of his 2010 W-L record & we see how that's working out don't we?

If it makes you feel better to compare Luck with Sanchez... let's do that, because that's all he proved. That he can play as well as Sanchez or Blane. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other, so far, same guy.

Andrew Luck can separate himself from them this year, but what's in question now, is what he proved in 2012 & he hasn't proven to be much different than Mark Sanchez (Blane Gabbert if you will).
Old 08-31-2013   #694
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 8515 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't like him. I don't hate him.

I think he has a good chance of being our QB of the future, more so than Tj. But we're thinking Super Bowl & there's no way Kubiak is going to go into his 3rd play-off game three years in a row with a QB who's never played in a play-off game if he can help it.

Regardless how poorly/great they played in the preseason.
I can agree with this post. However, at some point the Texans are going to cross that line. I still put Case in over TJ during playoffs if that happened. Case will shine if given the chance. He can throw the long ball, fast release short ball, knows the playbook, plus he can run better than the other 2.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #695
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
I can agree with this post. However, at some point the Texans are going to cross that line. I still put Case in over TJ during playoffs if that happened. Case will shine if given the chance. He can throw the long ball, fast release short ball, knows the playbook, plus he can run better than the other 2.
He'll get his opportunity soon enough.
Old 08-31-2013   #696
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've watched Luck plenty, not impressed. I've seen many QBs come & go that played as well, or as poorly as Luck, you have too, in recent years there've been several rookies with better seasons. Maybe not W-L, but again, that's more about the team than the QB.

Mark Sanchez was guaranteed $12M in 2012 & is guaranteed $8M in 2013 because of his 2010 W-L record & we see how that's working out don't we?

If it makes you feel better to compare Luck with Sanchez... let's do that, because that's all he proved. That he can play as well as Sanchez or Blane. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other, so far, same guy.

Andrew Luck can separate himself from them this year, but what's in question now, is what he proved in 2012 & he hasn't proven to be much different than Mark Sanchez (Blane Gabbert if you will).
now his saving grace is Luck = the butt fumble king.
Old 08-31-2013   #697
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
now his saving grace is Luck = the butt fumble king.
The butt fumbler took a 9-7 team to the play-offs when HoF Bret Favre couldn't. He took that 9-7 team to the AFC Championship game as a rookie. He followed it up his sophomore season by taking that 9-7 team to 11-5 & another AFC Championship game.

We've seen nothing that should lead anyone to believe Andrew Luck won't be a butt fumbler himself 4 years from now. Same as if we were looking at Sanchez at the end of 2009.....

& yes, it's silly to say Sanchez took the Jets to the AFC Championship game, just like it's silly to say Luck took the Colts to 11-5 (that's my point, before you ask).
Old 08-31-2013   #698
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The butt fumbler took a 9-7 team to the play-offs when HoF Bret Favre couldn't. He took that 9-7 team to the AFC Championship game as a rookie. He followed it up his sophomore season by taking that 9-7 team to 11-5 & another AFC Championship game.

We've seen nothing that should lead anyone to believe Andrew Luck won't be a butt fumbler himself 4 years from now. Same as if we were looking at Sanchez at the end of 2009.....

& yes, it's silly to say Sanchez took the Jets to the AFC Championship game, just like it's silly to say Luck took the Colts to 11-5 (that's my point, before you ask).
Well the obvious big differences being Sanchez had one of the league's best defenses and running games to help him out. Luck had Luck. He put the Indy team on his back. We have seen what Sanchez does when he has to put the team on his back (the butt fumble).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #699
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:

More evidence of you simply hating especially when you compare Sanchez getting a ride to the AFC championship.
Old 08-31-2013   #700
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
More evidence of you simply hating especially when you compare Sanchez getting a ride to the AFC championship and Luck actually leading them there
The team that couldn't carry Bret Favre to the play offs just happen to be handing out free rides to the AFC Championship game?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read