Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013   #641
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I think he's done all HE can at this point for coaches to have faith in him. We won't know about his strengths/weaknesses in a real game vs real competition until he actually gets a chance to play in a game that matters vs other team's top defense.
Absolutely. Until we see him in real action against a real defense we will be left with nothing but his potential to discuss. My opinion is that he is for real, but until we can actually see that, we are all left wondering.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #642
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the phrase you're looking for is

"I'm still not convinced Kaepernic or Luck can be winners in
this league over the long term"

Because, technically they were successful starters in the short
term.

The difference between those two and Keenum is that they
were thrown into the fire immediately while Keenum is being
groomed.

Maybe trial by fire is best, or maybe the Aaron Rodgers method
is..

Gary just decided on option #2 with #7, we'll get the answer
a little later on I think..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Then I guess nothing will.

Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Kaepernick or Luck can be starters in this league.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #643
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
But . . . they already are starters in this league.
I know. So was/is Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chad Henne, Blaine Gabbert, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Cassell, Kevin Kolb, etc... etc... etc...
Old 08-30-2013   #644
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know. So was/is Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chad Henne, Blaine Gabbert, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Cassell, Kevin Kolb, etc... etc... etc...
Perhaps you should reword something....like "they may be starting, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD be starting".

Just nitpicking. QBs are defined by their team. Schaub is better because of who is around him, not because he is actually good.

Old 08-30-2013   #645
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Perhaps you should reword something....like "they may be starting, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD be starting".

Just nitpicking. QBs are defined by their team. Schaub is better because of who is around him, not because he is actually good.

Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Blaine Gabbert can be a starter in this league.

I think it works just fine, as worded.
Old 08-30-2013   #646
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When did any of those guys ever have a season like Luck, Griffin, or Kapernick? These three guys CAN be starters in this league, because they've already proven it... The only question that remains is can they consistently be elite starting QBs.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #647
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
When did any of those guys ever have a season like Luck, Griffin, or Kapernick?
That is irrelevant. To my point, or the question asked.

Quote:
These three guys CAN be starters in this league, because they've already proven it... The only question that remains is can they consistently be elite starting QBs.
For the sake of your argument, how are we defining elite today? 4000 yards? 12 wins? It's a moving target & as you've noticed, I have difficulty keeping up.
Old 08-30-2013   #648
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
When did any of those guys ever have a season like Luck, Griffin, or Kapernick? .
2008 Cassel - 63.4%, 21 TDs, 11 INTs, 7.2 YPA,, 89.4 Rating
2012 Luck - 54.1%, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 7.0 YPA, 76.5 Rating
Old 08-30-2013   #649
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey View Post
yeah, that and i'll go ahead and disagree with his hypotheticals as it makes no sense.
lol

msr
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #650
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If Keenum didn't prove to his distractors that he's a future NFL QB during this pre-season then nothing will.

I see a day when Keenum is our starter. Or, if the Texans really **** this one up, someone else's starter.

I hope the latter isn't the Case.
Old 08-30-2013   #651
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Blaine Gabbert can be a starter in this league.

I think it works just fine, as worded.
You're hard headed.

It's all good. If any of us actually was that knowledgeable about football we probably wouldn't be posting here.

Old 08-30-2013   #652
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Kaepernick or Luck can be starters in this league.
Hypothetically, you being hard headed?

Never

LOL
Old 08-30-2013   #653
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
lol

msr
Surely you've seen enough football to understand what I said. Think about Michael Vick, or Vince young. 1 read, then go. Sure you can be successful doing that for a little while... NFC Championship game successful. But surely not anything long term.

You've got to be able to read NFL defenses at NFL speeds & make NFL decisions.
Old 08-30-2013   #654
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
And until we see Keenum actually do that (or not do it) we are all pissing into the wind.

Old 08-30-2013   #655
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Surely you've seen enough football to understand what I said. Think about Michael Vick, or Vince young. 1 read, then go. Sure you can be successful doing that for a little while... NFC Championship game successful. But surely not anything long term.

I get what your saying, but Luck took a crappy team to the playoffs as a rookie. He's got a few mechanical flaws, but Luck reminds me of a more athletic Peyton.

I'm afraid he's going to do to the Texans what Manning did for a decade.

Kaepernick is one of the most gifted athletes I've ever seen. Unlike Vick/VY he has height 6'5 and a 95 mph fastball to go with it. He appears to be a student of the game also. Kaepernick also has the best QB coach in the NFL. So he's got all of the tools he needs for success.
Old 08-30-2013   #656
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I get what your saying, but Luck took a crappy team to the playoffs as a rookie. He's got a few mechanical flaws, but Luck reminds me of a more athletic Peyton.
Sounds like you're talking about Tbow

Quote:
I'm afraid he's going to do to the Texans what Manning did for a decade.
If he played like RG3, or Russell Wilson I could understand it.... or even Kaepernick. But he didn't. Not even close. Had Blaine Gabbert thrown the ball as often as Luck his stats would have been similar.

What do you think of Blaine Gabbert as a QB? Does he strike fear into your heart? One man doesn't win 11 games, not even Luck. Just like the Titans kept games close for VY

Quote:
Kaepernick is one of the most gifted athletes I've ever seen. Unlike Vick/VY he has height 6'5 and a 95 mph fastball to go with it. He appears to be a student of the game also. Kaepernick also has the best QB coach in the NFL. So he's got all of the tools he needs for success.
I do not doubt any of this. All I said, was let's see him do it again, prove he's the real deal.
Old 08-30-2013   #657
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OK, you're hard headed. (I say that in the kindest tone) They're both starters in the league, RIGHT NOW. And I don't profess to know much about spheroid ball but according to those who do, they're pretty damn good at it RIGHT NOW.

They're prolly one year wonders though and will consider themselves lucky and in high esteem to mentioned in the same breath along with Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson and all them kinda cats.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #658
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sounds like you're talking about Tbow
No it doesn't

Quote:
If he played like RG3, or Russell Wilson I could understand it.... or even Kaepernick. But he didn't. Not even close. Had Blaine Gabbert thrown the ball as often as Luck his stats would have been similar.

What do you think of Blaine Gabbert as a QB? Does he strike fear into your heart? One man doesn't win 11 games, not even Luck. Just like the Titans kept games close for VY
LOL, now you're comparing Luck to Elaine Gabbert? Wow.

Also it's true that one man doesn't win 11 games, but a very good QB gives you the chance to win every week. A very good QB can step in and from day #1 and can turn the worst team in the entire league from a year before and take the team to the playoffs.... Luck did that. Elaine Gabbert will be released before he ever sniffs the playoffs as a starting QB.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-31-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #659
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 6629 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

keenum has the best footwork, killer instinct, fastest release, and "it" factor among our amazing 3 qb's. he just needs the experience.

the idea of 4th and goal knowing that keenum can handoff to foster up the gut, play action, quick throw, or qb sneak makes this guy have the most weapons. future looks really bright.

there's a reason why keenum isn't going back to the practice squad. yates has more years experience plus a playoff win under his belt and keenum is making it hard to choose between the 2.

i'm good making case a 3rd stinger. he'll be that good next year because he'll be hungrier.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #660
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No it doesn't

LOL, now you're comparing Luck to Elaine Gabbert? Wow.

Also it's true that one man doesn't win 11 games, but a very good QB gives you the chance to win every week. A very good QB can step in and from day #1 can turn the worst team in the entire league from a year before and take the team to the playoffs.... Luck did that. Elaine Gabbert will be released before he even sniffs the playoffs as a starting QB.
I really don't see how anyone could consider this guy knowledgable as far as football goes even a little when he says outlandish statements like this. Personally, I think it's for attention, because there is no way a guy could watch as much football as he claims and state that Kapernick and Luck haven't proven that they are starters in this league. He is just trolling to create conversation. If not, that would be even worse, but I can't believe that he honestly believes that in his mind.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read