Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2013   #21
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alec Lemon on IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm aware of that, but that wasn't part of the CBA negotiated in 2011. There's also nothing in that agreement that impacts Lemon's situation.
It was negotiated in 2012. I posted it above your response. Lemon would be eligible if they so designate him as the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #22
CuseFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I can't fathom the idea that this is "bad" for him. It means, tangibly, that he is getting paid a nice salary for at least the next 16 weeks and, intangibly, that an NFL team thinks enough of him to subvert the rules to keep him around.

Sounds like damn nice situation to be in to me.
This is the equivalent of the NFL Redshirt. Keeps him with the team, in the system, strength and conditioning, etc., and shows the team sees him as a potential contributor for the future.

He probably wants to play in 2 weeks - the team is thinking 2 years down the line.
CuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #23
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

If Jean doesn't make progress, I can see Lemon stealing his spot next year
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148338 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
You could add Martin to the list of guy's job he may take in the future.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I can't fathom the idea that this is "bad" for him. It means, tangibly, that he is getting paid a nice salary for at least the next 16 weeks and, intangibly, that an NFL team thinks enough of him to subvert the rules to keep him around.

Sounds like damn nice situation to be in to me.
I don't think being obligated not to play for a whole year is equitable to Lemon, even if he's compensated. If he's willing to do that, fine, but if not he should be released and given the opportunity to negotiate an employment arrangement elsewhere in the NFL.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I don't think being obligated not to play for a whole year is equitable to Lemon, even if he's compensated. If he's willing to do that, fine, but if not he should be released and given the opportunity to negotiate an employment arrangement elsewhere in the NFL.
You're talking about a guy who had a 5% chance of making a team and 4% of that was with the Texans. This guarantees him a damn good salary this year and an improved chance with the Texans next year having worked with the team for a year.
Old 08-29-2013   #27
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1291 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
Or D Posey if he never fully recovered from his Achilles injury!
Old 08-29-2013   #28
CuseFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair or not, this is a strategic move by the team. Regardless what another poster wrote about a 5% chance of playing, I'd peg it at closer to 90% chance that had he been placed on the PS he would have been picked up by another team.

Putting him on IR keeps him in the fold, besides he has a 3 year contract with the team - even if every year is an option year...
CuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #29
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
For all we know Lemon is extatic he is still with the team.
That Sir, is exactly my thought as well. Damn good money and job security while having another year to learn the system. It's a no lose situation for Mr. Lemon.

Wish I could find a gig like that!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #30
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You're talking about a guy who had a 5% chance of making a team and 4% of that was with the Texans. This guarantees him a damn good salary this year and an improved chance with the Texans next year having worked with the team for a year.
I get all of that, and this might very well be, actually probably is the best thing for him in terms of his own financial security because most young athletes have inflated, really unrealistic expectations of their ability to succeed. And I'm certainly not a union-guy, not in the least a sympathizer of the NHL Players union. I'm very much a company man.
However I still think he should be given the option to work elsewhere in the league, ill advised as it might be for him to walk away from this deal if he could do so.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #31
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15057 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get all of that, and this might very well be, actually probably is the best thing for him in terms of his own financial security because most young athletes have inflated, really unrealistic expectations of their ability to succeed. And I'm certainly not a union-guy, not in the least a sympathizer of the NHL Players union. I'm very much a company man.
However I still think he should be given the option to work elsewhere in the league, ill advised as it might be for him to walk away from this deal if he could do so.
He's not being kept from working in the league.

He is working in the league. He is receiving a paycheck from an NFL organization and is receiving organizational benefits (coaching, nutrition, S&C, etc.)

Much ado about nothing.
Old 08-29-2013   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148338 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Wish I could find a gig like that!
~$470k a year to sit on the trainers table .... yeah , count me in.

I'll even show up early ..... and stay late so long as the trainer chick is somewhat hot.

Old 08-29-2013   #33
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Lemon better than Jean. Do not trust Jean to catch the ball.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
That touchdown he caught from Keenum is a prime example , despite the fact that he caught it , that he isn't starting quality .... He let the ball fall into his hands rather than going to get it.

I want receivers that attack the ball , not let it hit them in the helmet (last week).

Old 08-30-2013   #35
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You could add Martin to the list of guy's job he may take in the future.
I agree K. Martin needs to step up this year, Posey come's in after not playing football for months and make plays
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #36
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Bonner and Trevardo may be joining him soon...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #37
avb
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I don't trust Keyshawn Martin's hands either. Hopefully Posey will supplant both of them soon and be the third receiver.
avb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read