Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2013   #81
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The backup RB battle

I said this in the game thread that I'd prefer Wood, love the way the guy runs. I also like how he fits in our team name scheme in how people are always going to call him "Woods" instead of Wood, which is his last name.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #82
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Cierre Wood do any returns this preseason? All things being equal, even if Karim played against tougher competition, Karim did return KOs.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ohnson-can-do/

Quote:
With Wood and Johnson attacking, third-string running back Deji Karim was left to watch on the sideline.

“I know what we’ve got with him,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “I wanted to see what the young guys could do.”
Wood certainly made a case to be on the roster. No denying that. I like our top 4 RB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #83
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Did Cierre Wood do any returns this preseason? All things being equal, even if Karim played against tougher competition, Karim did return KOs.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ohnson-can-do/

Wood certainly made a case to be on the roster. No denying that. I like our top 4 RB.
To me, I don't even care if someone can return kickoffs. Marciano couldn't make the best kick returner in the NFL look good last year. We honestly shouldn't even take a ball out of the EZ. If we even have a decent kick return it'd be negated by a block in the back anyway.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #84
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont understand the love for these RBs. We find several every year that show promise. They are not good enough to take up a roster spot. Cierre Wood and DJ need to be cut and signed to the practice squad if they clear waivers. We have 2 very talented RBs and DK has skills and experience. Even if they get signed to someone elses active roster I am sure we can find another group of young runners who will thrive in our run system.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #85
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I dont understand the love for these RBs. We find several every year that show promise. They are not good enough to take up a roster spot. Cierre Wood and DJ need to be cut and signed to the practice squad if they clear waivers. We have 2 very talented RBs and DK has skills and experience. Even if they get signed to someone elses active roster I am sure we can find another group of young runners who will thrive in our run system.

THAT is not our system. That is a damn good RB! Wood goes to waivers he is gone. Packers, Skins or even the Broncos grab him.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #86
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sounds like you'd have let Arian go when he was just starting out.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #87
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
THAT is not our system. That is a damn good RB! Wood goes to waivers he is gone. Packers, Skins or even the Broncos grab him.
The Packers have Eddie Lacey, Jonathan Franklin and James Stark. Skins have Morris, Royster and Helu. Montee Ball, Jacob Hester, Moreno and Hillman. They are not worried about Cierre Wood. They have their own young talent to worry about keeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Sounds like you'd have let Arian go when he was just starting out.
Umm Foster was waived in 2009 and signed to PS. So yea.

I feel that you guys are assigning too much value to a 4th string player.
Old 08-30-2013   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I feel that you guys are assigning too much value to a 4th string player.
We were lucky no one picked him up, wouldn't you say? If someone did and then he blew up for another team we'd be talking about the mistake we made.

Wood has show a bit more, plus the Team has a spotlight on them now. We might not be so lucky the next time.

And as far as value on a 4th string player, I think he's a better runner than Karim and if Tate is gone after this year I think he might be able to challenge for the back-up role.

I think you're too consumed with what you believe he is right now instead of how he could possibly do to help the team in the future.
Old 08-30-2013   #89
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
We were lucky no one picked him up, wouldn't you say? If someone did and then he blew up for another team we'd be talking about the mistake we made.

Wood has show a bit more, plus the Team has a spotlight on them now. We might not be so lucky the next time.

And as far as value on a 4th string player, I think he's a better runner than Karim and if Tate is gone after this year I think he might be able to challenge for the back-up role.
My point is still valid. We put Foster on the PS. We can put Wood or DJ there too. Kubiak didnt even play DK, essentailly showing his hand and telling us who he likes more for this football team. If Wood was all that he would have kept him over DK. But he didnt. He and the rest of the NFL value experience and reliability when they give them the ball.

Quote:
I think you're too consumed with what you believe he is right now instead of how he could possibly do to help the team in the future.
Kubiak just said that he has 75 players that can play in the NFL, just not for the Texans. Cuts are hard. There are alot of young guys that can help this team in the future, but we just do not have the room to keep them and protect and nurture them on the active roster. You have to take risks just like we did with Foster and keenum on the PS.
Old 08-30-2013   #90
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you say the same thing when we picked up Foster as an UFDA? We all know that they can find other young RB's that will thrive in the system, but they have to keep looking for the next Arian Foster. And, the only way to do that is to let the ones "that show promise" play it out on the field and see what they have. Just because "they are not good enough to take up a roster spot" now doesn't mean they won't be good enough to play for the Texans later.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #91
Rey
Hall of Fame

I don't think I agree with a single point Blake was trying to make. since we're so far apart I think I'll just tip my hat and bid good day
Old 08-30-2013   #92
Blake
MMQB

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the coach does.
Old 08-30-2013   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not even close to analogous
Quote:
We were lucky no one picked him up, wouldn't you say?
Not really. In the 2009 preseason Foster had 23 att, for 66 yds at 2.9 ypc and 0 TDs.

2013 Wood - 35 att. for 191 yds at 5.5 ypc and 0 TDs.
Old 08-30-2013   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not really. In the 2009 preseason Foster had 23 att, for 66 yds at 2.9 ypc and 0 TDs.

2013 Wood - 35 att. for 191 yds at 5.5 ypc and 0 TDs.
That was actually one of my points that Wood has shown more, but when I say we were lucky, I mean that no one saw enough potential there to grab him and place him on their roster.
Old 08-30-2013   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I agree. Cierre Wood is going to be special.

& that is not our system & I hope 67 (Cody White) & 62 (Alex Kupper) get shown the F out the door. I'd have left them in Dallas
Old 08-30-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Did you say the same thing when we picked up Foster as an UFDA? We all know that they can find other young RB's that will thrive in the system, but they have to keep looking for the next Arian Foster. And, the only way to do that is to let the ones "that show promise" play it out on the field and see what they have. Just because "they are not good enough to take up a roster spot" now doesn't mean they won't be good enough to play for the Texans later.
I don't remember either Foster or Jeremiah looking as good as Cierre Wood in the preseason. If they did, I don't think we'd have cut them.

edit: What 'cak & rey said.
Old 08-30-2013   #97
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

They have to decide if he's worth the roster spot to be NEVER be activated on gameday. He will never get to carry the ball and apparently isn't too great on special teams. Will they risk it?

Carrying 3 QBs already makes it complicated.
dtran04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #98
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
They have to decide if he's worth the roster spot to be NEVER be activated on gameday. He will never get to carry the ball
Running back is one of the most injury prone positions in the league. Tate was hurt last year, Foster hasn't taken a snap in pre-season. Personally, I would keep him over Karim, as I don't think he would clear waivers.
idymoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #99
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wood has a ton of upside in this system. He thrived in it at Notre Dame and looks even better now at the professional level. I was a big fan of his coming out of school and he's a perfect fit for the offense.

This is a long-term decision. If you think he has the ability to replace Tate next year then you keep him on the roster because he's not clearing waivers. He was a draftable talent coming out this year, no idea how he went undrafted but I'm glad he did.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #100
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Quote:
Dennis Johnson can clearly run the ball & has return abilities. But you can't fumble 6 times in 4 games as UDFA rookie & make team #Texans

As expected, despite strong early camp efforts, #Texans cut RB Dennis Johnson according to @RapSheet & @AllbrightNFL.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read