Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2013   #81
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adam Schein on Schaub....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Schaub, despite his shortcomings, is still better and should be the starter. Yates seems to me to be destined to always be nothing more than a dependable backup. Keenum has the potential to be a starter, and a damn good one. But potential doesn't always make it in the NFL.
BUt you dont know how much and how far that potential can go unless you give him a shot, if we dont i can promise you someone will and i think we will regret it if that does happen.
Old 08-28-2013   #82
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
We should bring in Mark Sanchez.
Maybe we can do that after Rex Ryan trades for Tebow and releases Sanchez.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #83
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
BUt you dont know how much and how far that potential can go unless you give him a shot, if we dont i can promise you someone will and i think we will regret it if that does happen.
I couldn't agree more. I'd hate like hell to loose Keenum to another team. If we keep him, and I think we will, after this season when his contract is up it's going to get interesting in Texan land.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #84
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I'd hate like hell to loose Keenum to another team. If we keep him, and I think we will, after this season when his contract is up it's going to get interesting in Texan land.
That part scares the hell out of me. We have so many big time contracts coming up in the next couple of years, it's going to be way more interesting than I like. Rick Smith is going to have to really earn his money to keep us out of cap hell. Who do you keep and who do you hope to replace through the draft?

I think Schaub is gone as soon as his guaranteed money is paid or he's traded(wouldn't that be something?) and it'll be either Yates or Keenum that replaces him. One thing I'm not certain of is if his guaranteed money is paid up after 2014. Could the team backload a contract for Cushing, sign him to a long term deal, that's friendly in the short term, pay Schaub off next year then renegotiate Cushing to a more front loaded deal?
Old 08-28-2013   #85
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Case is currently under contract thru the 2014 season. If we keep him (all season), then this coming off-season isn't an issue.
Old 08-28-2013   #86
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That part scares the hell out of me. We have so many big time contracts coming up in the next couple of years, it's going to be way more interesting than I like. Rick Smith is going to have to really earn his money to keep us out of cap hell. Who do you keep and who do you hope to replace through the draft?

I think Schaub is gone as soon as his guaranteed money is paid or he's traded(wouldn't that be something?) and it'll be either Yates or Keenum that replaces him. One thing I'm not certain of is if his guaranteed money is paid up after 2014. Could the team backload a contract for Cushing, sign him to a long term deal, that's friendly in the short term, pay Schaub off next year then renegotiate Cushing to a more front loaded deal?
The guaranteed portion of Schaub's base salary runs out after this year. After that only the prorated guaranteed bonus remains.

Details HERE
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #87
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
The guaranteed portion of Schaub's base salary runs out after this year. After that only the prorated guaranteed bonus remains.

Details HERE
That makes no sense to me. I only see ~$19 mil through 2013. He's guaranteed ~$29 mil. What am I missing?

BTW, I'm looking at the cap number.
Old 08-28-2013   #88
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That makes no sense to me. I only see ~$19 mil through 2013. He's guaranteed ~$29 mil. What am I missing?

The entire bonus $17.5MM is guaranteed, but is spread over the life of the contract for cap hit purposes.

Add to it 2012 and 2013 salaries, and you get 17.5+4.4+7.25=$29.15MM
Old 08-28-2013   #89
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

His signing bonus was $17.5, 2012 - $4.4, 2013 - $7.25 - Link

Which makes $29.15 guaranteed.
Old 08-28-2013   #90
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

OK. I guess I was thinking his signing bonus was prorated.

We can look forward to the open QB competition in 2014 then. Unless we win the Super Bowl this year!!
Old 08-28-2013   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is for cap purposes but not for payment.
Old 08-28-2013   #92
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The cap hit is prorated. But all that money is guaranteed and paid when the contract is signed.
Old 08-28-2013   #93
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It is for cap purposes but not for payment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
The cap hit is prorated. But all that money is guaranteed and paid when the contract is signed.
I see said the blind man. I wish my bank account could see one of those contract signings.
Old 08-28-2013   #94
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I see spotrac have changed their site layout a bit. I like it better than it was before. I still like that overthecap.com gives you dead money/cap savings for each contract year.
Old 08-28-2013   #95
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I kinda of agree with Thunderkyss on his assessment. I said from the time it became clear that the Colts would draft Luck and if Texans didn't try to counter with someone like RGIII that the Colts would return to the top of the AFC South in Luck's 3rd year. With $46 million to spend in FA this season the Colts return to eminence could be this year. Some Texans fans fail to acknowledge that some of the Texans successes of the last 2 years were directly related to Peyton's broken neck and Jeff Fisher's decision to leave the division. Today, it is how other teams in the division are improving that is also contributing to the closing of the Texans window of opportunity.

The Texans are managed by Coach Think which is Reactive, plan for the season at hand (put a band aid on it) vs GM Think which is Proactive, plan ahead with an eye 2-4 years ahead. Why Packers could win the Super Bowl with 17 players on IR and the Texans are toast with a couple of major injuries.

If you check Kubiak's record against > .500 teams it's paltry at best.
I also think Luck will have a Slump this year they wont make the playoffs

I also think the Texans can win the divison this year and in 2014 and 2015

after that we will see how it goes but im not to worried about the rest of our divison yeah All of them are tough games no doubt but I just see the Texans over coming it all when it comes to the divison teams
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #96
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think very much of Andrew Luck & I really don't think the Colts will win the AFC South, this year or next.

But, Rex Ryan took the NYJets to the AFC Championship games two years in a row, once as a Wild Card with Mark Sanchez. I think it's very possible for Chuck Pagano & Luck to get to the AFC Championship game before the Texans & in the end, isn't that more important than who won the division?

Some coaches capitalize on what they've got. We don't. At least it doesn't seem like we do. That first year Sanchez got to the AFC Championship game, there was no doubt in my mind we were the better team. But since they beat us week 1, they got into the play offs, we didn't. That could have just as easily been us.
Sorry T-skyss Luck is the real deal..the kid's gonna be good......he just won't be singlehandedly-carrying-his-team good...like Manning was for them. He's gonna need weapons around him to flourish. & in that regard we still have a good shot of staying competitive with them as we transition over the next couple of years. Aside from that, he's like any other qb..If you pressure him, he'll make mistakes. & is 1 of the best at doing that so we should be in good shape.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Schaub, despite his shortcomings, is still better and should be the starter. Yates seems to me to be destined to always be nothing more than a dependable backup. Keenum has the potential to be a starter, and a damn good one. But potential doesn't always make it in the NFL.
I've yet to see anything to separate Yates & Keenum. I think either can be a good starter, but we won't know until we know.

Schaub.... the only thing that separates him from Yates/Keenum is that we've seen his decision making in real games that count & whether you like him or not, he gets the job done. I know some guys want to separate "games against good teams" & that's ok... but they cherry pick which teams they consider a "good team"

But as long as he's healthy, 9 out of 10 HCs are going to start him over the unknown Tj Yates & Case Keenum. While I don't want to see anyone get hurt, if Tj or Case is going to win a starting job it's going to be if Schaub gets hurt.

They'll have to come in & light it up (ala Kaepernick) if they don't, they don't & they'll be career back ups.

If Kubiak is truly worried about Schaub's foot & question whether he'll ever be the same, I expect to see the #2 to come in during garbage time to get "real" game experience. If he continues to leave Schaub in there, then I'll "know" he's not worried about Schaub's foot.

He'll say that he's trying to protect Matt, but if the #2 QB comes in the game, he's preparing for life without Matt.
Old 08-29-2013   #98
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Old 08-29-2013   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
What do you mean dizzying? It's the way it is. Unless Schaub is hurt, or proven to be unable to play at his "avg" level, we're not going to cut Schaub. He's our QB until someone beats him on the field & the only way Tj or Keenum are going to get on the field, is if Schaub is hurt.

However, I do believe Kubiak questions Schaub's health. If that is true, then it's imperative to get his #2 as ready as possible to be the #1. That means taking snaps in garbage time.
Old 08-29-2013   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leawood Hustla View Post
Its not like schaub set the bar so high that nobody can follow and surpass his footsteps.
I think we're spoiled.

Schaub is a starting QB, period. If had not signed him to a deal last season & let him walk, he wouldn't be competing with anyone for a job. He''d have been picked up as a starting QB, just like Carson Palmer (& Schaub's been better than Palmer recently), just like Alex Smith (& Schaub's been at least as good as Smith recently).

All he's got is height & experience.

You're selling one of those two very, very short.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read