Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013   #841
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
LOL, I noticed that, too.
No soup for you. End of the line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #842
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
DeAndre Hopkins has been totally cleared to return to practice. Good chance he plays Thursday. #Texans1:33 PM - 27 Aug 2013

So he has been cleared....
Old 08-28-2013   #843
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
DeAndre Hopkins has been totally cleared to return to practice. Good chance he plays Thursday. #Texans1:33 PM - 27 Aug 2013

So he has been cleared....
I really wish they would handle both Hopkins & Posey with kid gloves ,everything to lose and nothing to be gained or proven by them playing against the cowpies.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #844
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see posey and Hopkins take some snaps. They need to take some contact. Not a whole lot, but they a few plays will do them good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #845
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I want to see posey and Hopkins take some snaps. They need to take some contact. Not a whole lot, but they a few plays will do them good.
Tell that to the Doc .... who tells us how much more likely a concussion after a concussion.

Im concerned about the long term health of both of these guys. Had the call been mine to make , I'd have PUP'd Posey giving him another ~8 weeks to make sure he's ready. And Hopkins wouldn't see the field until San Diego .....

Old 08-28-2013   #846
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could not disagree more.
Old 08-28-2013   #847
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Tell that to the Doc .... who tells us how much more likely a concussion after a concussion.

Im concerned about the long term health of both of these guys. Had the call been mine to make , I'd have PUP'd Posey giving him another ~8 weeks to make sure he's ready. And Hopkins wouldn't see the field until San Diego .....
If they are ready to play, they are ready to play.

A concussion being more likely isn't going to change. He could get another concussion tommorrow or in a week.

As far as posey goes, if he's going to be on the active roster, he needs to take some snaps to start getting back in football shape. If a guy is ready to go it does no good to sit him. If he's not ready to go, then that's on the medical staff. But holding him out if he's healthy and ready is only delaying him getting back to normal.
Old 08-28-2013   #848
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I could not disagree more.
And I couldn't care less.
Old 08-28-2013   #849
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I couldn't care less.
And neither could I.
Old 08-28-2013   #850
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If they are ready to play, they are ready to play.

A concussion being more likely isn't going to change. He could get another concussion tommorrow or in a week.

As far as posey goes, if he's going to be on the active roster, he needs to take some snaps to start getting back in football shape. If a guy is ready to go it does no good to sit him. If he's not ready to go, then that's on the medical staff. But holding him out if he's healthy and ready is only delaying him getting back to normal.
Then why not play all the starters?

Why would you risk players that are considered starters in a meaningless game, against players looking to wow their coaches with big hits and big plays, if your plan is to have them contribute in the games that count? Is a few snaps worth it? They couldn't get those in San Diego?

Kubiak is on record for stating that the turf in Dallas is one of the reasons Merci won't play. He's in the same boat as Posey as far as missed TC and PS time. Does that mean Kubiak is relying more on Merci than Hopkins or Posey? I can actually see that regarding Posey, but not Hopkins. Besides, concussions are about eleventythreemillion times more likely to happen than a ruptured Achilles. 1 or 2 more concussions and Hopkins will be a "what might have been". Posey might already be that, considering the nature of his injury. That doesn't mean it needs to be proven in the last preseason game.

Just sayin...
Old 08-28-2013   #851
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Then why not play all the starters?

Why would you risk players that are considered starters in a meaningless game, against players looking to wow their coaches with big hits and big plays, if your plan is to have them contribute in the games that count? Is a few snaps worth it? They couldn't get those in San Diego?

Kubiak is on record for stating that the turf in Dallas is one of the reasons Merci won't play. He's in the same boat as Posey as far as missed TC and PS time. Does that mean Kubiak is relying more on Merci than Hopkins or Posey? I can actually see that regarding Posey, but not Hopkins. Besides, concussions are about eleventythreemillion times more likely to happen than a ruptured Achilles. 1 or 2 more concussions and Hopkins will be a "what might have been". Posey might already be that, considering the nature of his injury. That doesn't mean it needs to be proven in the last preseason game.

Just sayin...
Hopkins is a rookie and the NFL is faster than college i can see why he wants him to play, but I think he just wants to see Posey in a game so he knows what he has in him to start the season. Thats the only thing i can think of, plus the regular season starts in a week, if Posey isnt ready now, he wont be ready then.
Old 08-28-2013   #852
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Hopkins is a rookie and the NFL is faster than college i can see why he wants him to play, but I think he just wants to see Posey in a game so he knows what he has in him to start the season. Thats the only thing i can think of, plus the regular season starts in a week, if Posey isnt ready now, he wont be ready then.
Neither of those reasons justifies the risk, to me.

The turf in Dallas will be bad for joints and tendons, in Posey's case and will be just as bad for concussion concerns if Hopkins has his head hit it like he did in Houston (which is much better than turf but not sure if that play is when he got the concussion). Again, I'd rather see this happen in a game that counts. There's not much that sucks worse than losing a player, for the season, in a preseason game. Especially the last one that features scrubs trying to make the team or practice squad.

For a coach that always preaches "being smart with injuries", this seems like a dumb move.
Old 08-28-2013   #853
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Simply put, the same reason any starter plays in the first three pre season games. Rhythm, in game conditioning.

I want both to be able to do as much as possible week 1, and getting some action this week will help them be that much better.
Old 08-28-2013   #854
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Simply put, the same reason any starter plays in the first three pre season games. Rhythm, in game conditioning.

I want both to be able to do as much as possible week 1, and getting some action this week will help them be that much better.
Or it could cost them their season and/or career. Still not a good trade off, IMHO. The risk simply doesn't justify the reward.

What would you think if Watt injured his elbow this year, in TC, and Kubiak decided to play him in this game? Or AJ or AF? I'm not real warm and fuzzy on what Posey can produce this year, but Hopkins can be a game changer for us. Just as much as AJ, AF, JJ or Schaub. That's purely conjecture at this point, but it's a valid opinion that many share. Hell, we have better depth at QB than we have a WR. This meaningless game isn't a make or break game for either player. They will be on the team this season if healthy.
Old 08-29-2013   #855
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If a post-concussion brain is not given time to totally heal, re-concussion is MUCH more likely to happen.........taking the 2-4 times increased risk and throwing it out the window. An extra 10 days for a second concussion can make a very significant difference in the possibility of a repeat concussion. Even if it were a very small increased risk, if he brain is not entirely healed from the first, an early subsequent concussion will leave some element of permanent brain damage.............avoiding that being the whole point behind the Concussion Protocol. Remember, the Protocol is still a MINIMAL set of requirements that have been establish for return to game play........and with previous history of concussion is usually, and should be, adjusted, i.e., lengthened.

Hopkins should NOT be out there this evening.............with 3rd and 4th team players (and players never to play again in the NFL) trying to make their mark. When they are trying to make their mark, they will try to make THAT play that will have them noticed........and THAT play may have them do CRAZY DANGEROUS THINGS THAT LEAD TO INJURIES, to themselves AND others.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #856
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hopkins should NOT be out there this evening..
I gotta side with Doc.

Nothing might happen ... but the consequences of that something going wrong just aren't worth it.

Old 08-29-2013   #857
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, if they've been cleared, I'd like to see them get some snaps. Posey already will, but I'd be ok with D-Hop running a few routes. He doesn't have to be targeted, but just get his feet back under him.
Old 08-29-2013   #858
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Personally, if they've been cleared, I'd like to see them get some snaps. Posey already will, but I'd be ok with D-Hop running a few routes. He doesn't have to be targeted, but just get his feet back under him.
That's the same way I feel. I'd like to see him out there for a few plays taking minimal contact.

Not running routes across the middle.

And Posey could use a bit more action. Dude has barely played over a 2 year time period.
Old 08-29-2013   #859
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Either way it cant be as big of a blunder as what rex ryan did.
Old 08-29-2013   #860
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The issue seems to be we don't have a better WR2 option today than we did last season. Jean has looked ok if not superb & I'd rather have him than Posey or Hopkins today. Allow those to a bit more time before going on field in regular season. ALthough bad things can happen in practice, risk can be better managed so allow that for at least two additional weeks for both.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read