Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2013   #61
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adam Schein on Schaub....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Sooooo, you're saying Brady & Rogers can do it alone? See, I was responding to the comments saying they couldn't.

Worse.

Sure. But I bet they have a winning record against those teams.

The only difference between Schaub & the elite QBs is his W-L record. Fair or not.
I really wan't replying just to your message, and I should have made that clearer.

I wish we did have the W-L stats for "elite" QB's vs playoff teams. Until then, I guess, it's pointless to argue about it. If they do consistently have a winning record vs playoff teams, I guess the argument that Schaub struggles vs such teams can then be made. I just thought that it was an obvious stat that FOX had the other day (record vs playoff teams not as good as vs non-playoff teams).

Can't promise that I'll look very hard, but I'll see if I can find something similar for other QB's.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #62
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Why?
I kinda of agree with Thunderkyss on his assessment. I said from the time it became clear that the Colts would draft Luck and if Texans didn't try to counter with someone like RGIII that the Colts would return to the top of the AFC South in Luck's 3rd year. With $46 million to spend in FA this season the Colts return to eminence could be this year. Some Texans fans fail to acknowledge that some of the Texans successes of the last 2 years were directly related to Peyton's broken neck and Jeff Fisher's decision to leave the division. Today, it is how other teams in the division are improving that is also contributing to the closing of the Texans window of opportunity.

The Texans are managed by Coach Think which is Reactive, plan for the season at hand (put a band aid on it) vs GM Think which is Proactive, plan ahead with an eye 2-4 years ahead. Why Packers could win the Super Bowl with 17 players on IR and the Texans are toast with a couple of major injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leawood Hustla View Post
anybody catch that fox graphic in the saints game where they showed schaub's win loss record vs playoff or winning teams?

he was like 30 something wins vs 15 losses vs non playoff elite teams then he was like an atrocious 10-27 vs elite playoff teams?

anybody have a screen cap of that stat?
If you check Kubiak's record against > .500 teams it's paltry at best.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I kinda of agree with Thunderkyss on his assessment. I said from the time it became clear that the Colts would draft Luck and if Texans didn't try to counter with someone like RGIII that the Colts would return to the top of the AFC South in Luck's 3rd year.
I don't think very much of Andrew Luck & I really don't think the Colts will win the AFC South, this year or next.

But, Rex Ryan took the NYJets to the AFC Championship games two years in a row, once as a Wild Card with Mark Sanchez. I think it's very possible for Chuck Pagano & Luck to get to the AFC Championship game before the Texans & in the end, isn't that more important than who won the division?

Some coaches capitalize on what they've got. We don't. At least it doesn't seem like we do. That first year Sanchez got to the AFC Championship game, there was no doubt in my mind we were the better team. But since they beat us week 1, they got into the play offs, we didn't. That could have just as easily been us.
Old 08-28-2013   #64
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I don't think very much of Andrew Luck ...
Well, that explains a lot.
Old 08-28-2013   #65
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
I was starting to take you serious, then you go & do this.

Schaub's got his faults, but you've missed the target all together. I agree his ball placement is curious at times, but I don't think that's because he is inaccurate. If you've watched him for the last 6 years, you'd know his problem isn't accuracy.
It's hard to say he's "accurate" in my view. Yah his completion % is great, but a lot of those are to Andre, who helps him a LOT. Down the field it is obvious that he can't throw the deep ball, and before anyone quotes me on look he threw 12 40+ yard throws last year blah blah. In almost every context of the deep ball that Matt throws the receiver almost always has to wait on the ball, then gets caught from behind by the defender. Instead of a touchdown we get a long completion.

Why does this drive me crazy, because then we are stuck in the red zone and have had real trouble in the red zone the last couple of years and we come away with 3 points.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Imagine the Texans medical advisers shared thi same information with them 1 year 9 months ago. In your opinion what would have been the most prudent course of action for the Texans regarding the QB position?
At least try to make the offseason/preseason a legitimate open QB competition.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #67
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you check Kubiak's record against > .500 teams it's paltry at best.
That's almost every coach. Even with the ridiculous run that Belichick has been on, he's only won 65% of his games. That's an average of 10 games a season.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #68
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
That's almost every coach.
The key word here is ALMOST and the GOOD coaches being the exception. If you check Kubiak's record against > .500 you will find it to be very average and ordinary when compared to the best coaches in the game, the Harbaughs, Belichick, McCarthy, Peyton, Parcels, Couglin,
Old 08-28-2013   #69
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The key word here is ALMOST and the GOOD coaches being the exception. If you check Kubiak's record against > .500 you will find it to be very average and ordinary when compared to the best coaches in the game, the Harbaughs, Belichick, McCarthy, Peyton, Parcels, Couglin,

No way is Coughlin above .500, nor John. Jim might be, but only because he's got a limited sample size. Peyton won't be.

Dammit, now I have to go research.

edit: Not going to research. Coughlin is only .555 for his career. That's against ALL teams. There's no way he's above .500 against good teams. You're giving coaches too much credit.
Old 08-28-2013   #70
noxiousdog
All Pro

And just because I have to wait for some work stuff to finish,
in 2013 Green Bay played 9 good teams and lost 5 of them.
Old 08-28-2013   #71
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub led the league in passing when we opened the offense in 2009.
If we bring back Ron Dayne that will fix all our problems!

I feel like the addition of Foster and then run game turned us from a pass to set up the run team into a run to set up the pass team. Kubiak now turtles into "run the ball" mode way too frequently in my opinion where we used to air the ball out for explosive gains.

I miss that old pass heavy team!
Old 08-28-2013   #72
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
That's almost every coach. Even with the ridiculous run that Belichick has been on, he's only won 65% of his games. That's an average of 10 games a season.
You do understand that if you have a .650 + winning percentage that you're winning almost twice as many games as you lose don't you?
Old 08-28-2013   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, that explains a lot.
Well see how Andre Luck's career develops & we'll see what our opinions of him explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
It's hard to say he's "accurate" in my view. Yah his completion % is great, but a lot of those are to Andre, who helps him a LOT.
& Brady had Moss & Welker & Gronk, Peyton had Wayne & Harrison, Brees has Colston....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
At least try to make the offseason/preseason a legitimate open QB competition.
Are you saying you'd have brought someone in to compete with Matt or are you saying you'd have given Yates/Keenum a shot at the starting job?
Old 08-28-2013   #74
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well see how Andre Luck's career develops & we'll see what our opinions of him explain.

& Brady had Moss & Welker & Gronk, Peyton had Wayne & Harrison, Brees has Colston....

Are you saying you'd have brought someone in to compete with Matt or are you saying you'd have given Yates/Keenum a shot at the starting job?
Ya left out Glock boy. Are you pre judging there TK?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The latter..........with honest and comparable competition. And if it worked out that Schaub was still determined to be the winner, my concerns would still be there, but my feelings of "what if" would not be lingering.
Old 08-28-2013   #76
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 67440 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The latter..........with honest and comparable competition. And if it worked out that Schaub was still determined to be the winner, my concerns would still be there, but my feelings of "what if" would not be lingering.
Me too.
Old 08-28-2013   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
So you'd have brought in Carson Palmer or Alex Smith?

For the sake of argument, let's rule out ignorance & incompetence. Since they did not bring in comparable competition, what do you think that tells you?
Old 08-28-2013   #78
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So you'd have brought in Carson Palmer or Alex Smith?

For the sake of argument, let's rule out ignorance & incompetence. Since they did not bring in comparable competition, what do you think that tells you?

No, what I meant was honest comparable competition between Schaub, Yates and Keenum.
Old 08-28-2013   #79
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

We should bring in Mark Sanchez.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #80
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, what I meant was honest comparable competition between Schaub, Yates and Keenum.
Schaub, despite his shortcomings, is still better and should be the starter. Yates seems to me to be destined to always be nothing more than a dependable backup. Keenum has the potential to be a starter, and a damn good one. But potential doesn't always make it in the NFL.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read