Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2013   #81
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Remember when we all hated Kareem Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It's simple folks; elite QBs vs. Wade's D = bad for us.
I think folks forget some games because we won. Chad Henne is not elite nor is Matthew Stafford and both ate this defense for lunch. Spread against man to man across the board is a dangerous thing.

But I don't think that is the coverage we'll run against the spread this season. Just a hunch because Reed is not at his best going man to man but helping up top, reading the play and reacting. We didn't see that this game and I don't think they will show the changes they made in the preseason. So just wild (and hopeful!) speculation on my part.
deucetx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #82
potisyourfriend
All Pro

Rep Power: 1624 potisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll be fine with our backfield once all of our starters are in. A good D-Line makes most backfields look good.
potisyourfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #83
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Since when did Luke McCown become elite?

Brees took a seat after their first TD.
Allow me to rephrase that statement.

Competent QBs effectively running (some form of) spread offense vs. Wade's D = Serious Match up issues for us.

We have two corners who can cover (most of the time, no CB covers ALL the time) but the slot guys (TEs and RBs with some speed and quick shifty WRs) quite frequently eat our LBs and safeties for lunch.

This isn't news.
We need serious pressure from whoever lines up at OLB. And cover guys who jam/disrupt those slot guys at the line would be nice too.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #84
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Allow me to rephrase that statement.

Competent QBs effectively running (some form of) spread offense vs. Wade's D = Serious Match up issues for us.

We have two corners who can cover (most of the time, no CB covers ALL the time) but the slot guys (TEs and RBs with some speed and quick shifty WRs) quite frequently eat our LBs and safeties for lunch.

This isn't news.
We need serious pressure from whoever lines up at OLB. And cover guys who jam/disrupt those slot guys at the line would be nice too.
Thank you. Well said.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #85
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I was as down on him as anybody but, in fairness, I don't think anyone could have foreseen the amount of improvement he's made. Nothing about his rookie season said 'potential'.

It's amazing what a real DC can do.
Old 08-28-2013   #86
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leawood Hustla View Post
he has improved greatly but he's still far from a great corner. He still doesnt turn his head around when defending long pass attempts.

I really wish we took a chance on tyrone mathieu. he was there for the taking.
I don't think McNair would take on someone with his reputation.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #87
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Kareem gets the last laugh. Well done! *clap*
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #88
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he has improved greatly but he's still far from a great corner. He still doesnt turn his head around when defending long pass attempts.

Yes, he does. There might be an exception or two, but for the most part, he's 100% better at locating the ball.

He had darn near perfect coverage on the long ball the other night. The ball was thrown perfectly. And, he did turn his head. The ball was just out of his reach
Old 08-28-2013   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mathieu is gonna play FS and nickel for the Cards.
If you watch his game; he's a dynamic little bug that has exceptional quickness to make play on the ball the vast majority of the time in the short game or when he faces the ball.
There was only one INT he had deep where the QB made a poor throw to the inside; I think it was against the Gators on a medium ball.
His chance of covering the big receivers in the NFL is slim; all the QB needs to do is to go upstairs.
He also has value as a return man, but if you put him outside at CB, I'm pretty sure he will be more of a liability than an asset.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #90
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of the Cardinals, their color commentator is absolutely hilarious. Ron Wolf I think. An old school Cardinals FB. Hysterical!!
Old 08-28-2013   #91
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yes, he does. There might be an exception or two, but for the most part, he's 100% better at locating the ball.

He had darn near perfect coverage on the long ball the other night. The ball was thrown perfectly. And, he did turn his head. The ball was just out of his reach
This...People don't understand how difficult it is for a cb to turn, locate & make a play on the ball. Can't blast him for something 98% of the leagues cb's can't do consistently.

In coverage...man coverage specifically, cb's are taught to read the WR's. only look back & locate the ball in the air when the WR looks back &/or they raise their hands for the catch b/c it lets them know that the ball is coming.

WR coaches know this. So they in turn train their WR's to look back for the ball and only raise their hands at the last possible second to give the cb as little time as possible to locate the ball & react.

All told if everything is clicking for the offense as it should, it's probably about .05 -1 seconds (2 seconds for deep balls) that a cb has to turn, locate the ball in the air and react to make a play if possible...extremely difficult. This is 1 of the main reasons the back shoulder throw is so hard to defend.

There are other factors that come into play, but this is the overriding thing to fight against.

Truthfully, Revis is the only guy who can do it equally well in zone & man coverage.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I hate watching Football on TV, especially when the commentator describes a play & he's totally wrong. I know at full speed it's difficult to determine what actually happened & for the most part, they do the best they can. What really gets me is when they show a play again & again in slow motion & you can clearly see the commentator was mistaken, instead of saying, "Oh, I was wrong, this is what really happened." They continue saying whatever it was they said originally.

I hate Chris Collinsworth, but he's usually pretty good about correcting himself when he's wrong. Dan Dierdorf, who I love, isn't.

On Kareem's first PI call, he says Kareem failed to turn around & play the ball. The replay clearly showed from two different angles that Kareem did in fact turn around & locate the ball.

They show another view (which I failed to take a picture of) that clearly shows an arm bar... a hard arm bar several steps before the ball got to the receiver.

There is a misconception among fans & commentators alike that a DB will be called for Pass Interference if he does not look for the ball. However, it is not Pass interference if the DB never interferes with the catch. Kareem shows us a good example of that here. There is contact with the receiver, but no interference.

This probably should have been called PI, since there is contact early but at this point I think it would have been "ticky tack" Even if Kareem would have turned his head, it could have been called PI if he makes contact with the receiver. Not only does he have to turn his head, but he has to be making a play on the ball. Turning his head while making contact with the receiver is still PI.

This is another example, provided by our friend Kareem Jackson. Again, Deirdorf cites not turning his head as the primary reason this is called pass interference.

But Kareem's head is clearly turned, looking at the ball, making a play at the ball with his left hand. What you can't see, is what he's doing with his right hand.

He's got a hold of Tandon Doss's wrist the whole time. That's pass interference.

If you remember some of my posts from the past, about Brandon Harris & the PIs he got last year, in one of them I stated I don't think I would try to correct them. If you can remember Harriss's PIs, they were all about him fighting for position with the receiver. One was within 5 yards of the LOS, or at least close enough that I thought it should have been a no call. The other, Reggie Wayne was trying to punk him & gain position. Harris held his ground & imo, he flag should have been thrown on Wayne.

Those PIs are about being aggressive & "defending" your position. I'll live with those. I don't want mice out there trying to play a man's game. I can live with a bad call, I'm not going to coach my players to play timid.

These, by Kareem are not the same kind. These are the things you coach your players not to do. Referees were really hard on the arm bar a few years ago, nowadays they usually let the guys play, but if they call it, you don't have a leg to stand on. The second, if they didn't call it a complete pass, they probably would have thrown the flag.... but it's ticky tack at that point. The third one, if you watch it all the way through, he not only has possession of the receiver's wrist, he pulls it down & pretty much throws Doss to the ground, making it extremely obvious.
Old 09-25-2013   #93
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

The way KJ plays he will get called for PI more often than not. The other problem is the way he plays D limits his chance for TOs. This team is going to need TOs to compete. The more disturbing issue is JJo is starting to play D like KJ. Don't know if Wade has the secondary to play like he wants to play.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #94
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
The way KJ plays he will get called for PI more often than not. The other problem is the way he plays D limits his chance for TOs. This team is going to need TOs to compete. The more disturbing issue is JJo is starting to play D like KJ. Don't know if Wade has the secondary to play like he wants to play.
If we want interceptions, we need to play more zone. Zone allows the DBs to read the QB and locate the ball a lot easier. It's a lot more difficult to get picks playing man coverage.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #95
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
If we want interceptions, we need to play more zone. Zone allows the DBs to read the QB and locate the ball a lot easier. It's a lot more difficult to get picks playing man coverage.
We had 15 INTs last year and 17 in 2011. We are on pace for 5.3 right now.
Old 09-26-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jjo had his hands on one, so did Manning. They just need to finish the play.
Old 09-26-2013   #97
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

The primary reason why I'd like us to mix in more zone this game is to be able to keep a side-eye on Russell. Man coverage vs a QB that can run like him could be detrimental on 3rd downs
Old 09-26-2013   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The primary reason why I'd like us to mix in more zone this game is to be able to keep a side-eye on Russell. Man coverage vs a QB that can run like him could be detrimental on 3rd downs
Mix in more zone on 3rd downs. Yes, we definitely need to do more of that. 1st & 2nd, we play plenty of zone already.
Old 09-26-2013   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I have a strong feeling that it is exactly the way Wade wants his CBs to play.

I have no idea why some of these TV guys are still employed.
Somebody suggested that he will turn off the TV sound for this game, and will go with the radio broadcast instead. I didn't blame him one bit.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read