Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013   #601
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I was hoping Case would take a shot at the end zone at the end of the game but of course he didn't. He took the safe pass on some 3rd downs which came up short earlier also. Just on my observations I think Case is probably closer to our Cody Carlson than he is our Kurt Warner.
Actually, I just finished reviewing the game.
That was what I wanted him to do when I watched the game live; not so much now.
There was nobody open in the endzone.
One TE was running a similar route to Lemon; another was running into double coverage; so was the right slot. Cruse was pinned to the right side line.

His choice was either crossing route; Lemon was a good choice.
The ball was a little low, but catchable.
If Lemon caught the ball (with a little better throw) and Cruse can put on a good block; there's a decent chance for a TD there.

It doesn't help for Keenum to wait any longer.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #602
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

we lose - game's over if we don't score. I'd just like to see him put it out there for someone to make a play.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #603
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I was hoping that as well, but if you notice, it doesn't matter who is in at QB; they ALL do that. They throw short of the sticks, they check down on critical downs, etc. Schaub does it, Yates does it, and now Keenum's doing it. So from that standpoint, he fits right in.
Like Billik said, when you're in the redzone, think either TD or check down.
If there's nobody open early, the QB goes to the check down option early.
The coaches don't want the QB to wait around.
Old 08-26-2013   #604
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Keenum isn't a gun-shy type of QB; he will fit it in there if he thinks there's a decent chance.

If anything, I would think that Kubiak is the one who doesn't want that.
He prefers a safe throw and just give the receiver a chance to make a play.
We've seen AJ picked up a low ball and gained a bunch of yards.
Old 08-26-2013   #605
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
First, they signed 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart, a former first-round draft pick. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Later Sunday, the Bills announced they traded linebacker Chris White to the Detroit Lions for quarterback Thaddeus Lewis.

Leinart was most recently a member of the Oakland Raiders. He has started 18 games since being drafted 10th overall by the Arizona Cardinals in 2006. The 6-foot-5 USC product has completed 366 of 641 passes for 4,065 yards with 15 touchdowns and 21 interceptions in his NFL career.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6399520.story
Jeff Tuel possible starter for week 1....no exactly the "plan"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-in-week-one/
Old 08-26-2013   #606
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I was hoping Case would take a shot at the end zone at the end of the game but of course he didn't. He took the safe pass on some 3rd downs which came up short earlier also. Just on my observations I think Case is probably closer to our Cody Carlson than he is our Kurt Warner.
I was hoping Schaub would have taken a couple of shots at the end zone at the end of the 1st half and he didn't. You won't beat the Denver's and New England's of the world going short and hoping for YAC. Attack the f'ing end zone like those teams do!!!!! DAMMIT!!!!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #607
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I was hoping Schaub would have taken a couple of shots at the end zone at the end of the 1st half and he didn't. You won't beat the Denver's and New England's of the world going short and hoping for YAC. Attack the f'ing end zone like those teams do!!!!! DAMMIT!!!!
Overall, I don't think I can blame any of our QBs this preseason.
The way this team is built, I am very confident with Schaub as the starter and either Yates or Keenum as the backup.

The real question(s) are at the other positions.
Old 08-26-2013   #608
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 8152 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just rewatched the 4th down and 6 play.

Had Lemon caught that low pass from Keenum he would've fallen down at the 6. He needed to get to the 4 for the first down.

A better throw from Keenum probably would have gotten the first down, and maybe even the TD, but the TD would've been very hard to do because of the defender in the end zone and the defender behind him.

I'm a big fan of Keenum, so it pains me to say that Yates did outplay him last night.

I look forward to seeing a big game out of Keenum on Thursday night.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #609
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post

Had Lemon caught that low pass from Keenum he would've fallen down at the 6. He needed to get to the 4 for the first down.

A better throw from Keenum probably would have gotten the first down, and maybe even the TD, but the TD would've been very hard to do because of the defender in the end zone and the defender behind him.

I'm a big fan of Keenum, so it pains me to say that Yates did outplay him last night.

That was exactly what I thought at first when I watched the game live, that Yates clearly outplayed Keenum.

Let me just leave it there; I wished that we had as much competition at other positions.
Old 08-26-2013   #610
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ssibly-beyond/

Quote:
The Texans have been very impressed by Keenum, undrafted in 2012 out of Houston. As his game develops, some have wondered whether he’ll skip over Yates on the way to leapfrogging Schaub.
Ladies and gentlemen: the national media is now getting involved! Let the circus commence!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #611
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post

It was still a good decision though. You go through the reads, and there wasn't a better choice.

If I'm picky, I would say Yates missed one earlier and Schaub could have done better too.
Old 08-26-2013   #612
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leawood Hustla View Post
I blame kubiak's ridiculous play calling. He goes spread offense 4 or 5 wide out before the last play and calls for a QB draw. Then the following play, goes back to a traditional 3 receiver 1 TE set and finally calls a passing play.

Why would you do that to your offense? The spread option 4 or 5 receiver set is keenum's specialty at UofH but you call a qb draw, the following play you limit his offensive options and finally call for a passing play. Totally detrimental offensive play calling by kubiak.
Running 4 of 5 WRs changes the personnel and spreads them out. It is not an uncommon formation when contemplating a QB draw. Also typically the Texans have both a pass and run play and the QB decides based on what the D shows.

As for 3 WRs and 1 TE I don't see how you can complain. That does not limit the play calling. That is still 4 receivers and our TEs catch lots of TDs. In fact, a lot of the time when we run what looks like a 4 WR formation 1 of them is a TE split out to the slot.
Old 08-26-2013   #613
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leawood Hustla View Post
I mean why call for a draw? Isnt there a back up qb battle brewing? Arent you trying to figure out how well keenum can qb? Calling for a draw play in a meaningless preseason game is not the right way to go about finding out what you have in a QB.
You call for a draw because it's preseason. You call for it because you know damn well Schaub can't do it and you want to see how Keenum handles it. It's a test. The entire preseason is a test. You want to see how your OL blocks it up, how your WRs do, etc. Pretty sure Kubiak already knows Keenum can sling it. That's not what he wants to see. He wants to see him run the plays that Kubiak calls. He wants to see how he progresses through his reads. He wants to see if Keenum will encroach on Kubiak's terrible clock management by trying to call a timeout a couple seconds before the quarter end.

It's preseason.
Old 08-26-2013   #614
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 259834 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Ladies and gentlemen: the national media is now getting involved! Let the circus commence!

That was funny. But at least now we know it's not just us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #615
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You call for a draw because it's preseason.
How do we know it was a called draw? For all we know, Keenum made that call all by himself, after all that spread was his specialty at UH...

He may have taken a look at the defense before the snap, & made up his mind that he'll make one read then go.
Old 08-26-2013   #616
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

keenum up 2-1 against yates. we'll see against the cowgirls.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #617
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=eriadoc;2196358]Only if you accept the assumption that the scouting is done properly. Plenty of elite talent has fallen through the cracks. Foster is a perfect example. He's one of the three or four best RBs in the NFL (2nd, in my book), but he wasn't drafted for reasons that were not related to talent.

We'll see how it pans out for Keenum, but the talent evaluation on him was wrong, and continues to be wrong. His arm is just fine, he has more athleticism than many starting QBs, and he definitely has the drive, work ethic, and mental capacity for the position. The only real question was/is experience. He played in a weird system at UH, didn't take snaps under center, and didn't face NFL style defenses. So it's fair to question if he can conquer those challenges. I think he can, but we'll see. But I think any question of his talent is off base. He may not be as talented as guys like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, but he's more athletic than Schaub. His arm is at least as good as Schaub's. His mobility in the pocket is better than average.

RG3 had these qualities and also played in this funky system and he seemed to do OK last yr. LOL

Of course he did run a 4.3 and has a stronger arm. Keenum is more mobile and has a stronger arm than Schaub though. (No, I'm not advocating starting Keenum over Schaub.)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #618
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

technically, Keenum almost never ran an empty backfield.
He usually had one or two back sets as his base offense.

When you go completely empty, like Gary loves to do --
pass is the only option.. (or keeper)

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How do we know it was a called draw? For all we know, Keenum made that call all by himself, after all that spread was his specialty at UH...

He may have taken a look at the defense before the snap, & made up his mind that he'll make one read then go.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #619
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
But I think any question of his talent is off base. He may not be as talented as guys like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, but he's more athletic than Schaub. His arm is at least as good as Schaub's. His mobility in the pocket is better than average.
Lack of talent is rarely the reason players are not successful in the NFL. Fast isn't good enough for an NFL WR, you've got to be fast, you've got to run routes, you've got to understand defenses....

QBs have to make good decisions, fast. They've got to be able to see as much of the field as possible. They've got to anticipate the movement of several defensive players at the same time & calculate complex geometric-physics solutions in real time.
Old 08-27-2013   #620
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Lack of talent is rarely the reason players are not successful in the NFL. Fast isn't good enough for an NFL WR, you've got to be fast, you've got to run routes, you've got to understand defenses....

QBs have to make good decisions, fast. They've got to be able to see as much of the field as possible. They've got to anticipate the movement of several defensive players at the same time & calculate complex geometric-physics solutions in real time.
Not sure how you are using talent here...running routes, throwing with accuracy etc are a part of a player's talent. Do you mean pure athletic ability as talent alone?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read