Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2013   #281
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

I don't believe Sharpton is fragile (in fact, anything but). I think his sense of self-preservation is severely lacking.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #282
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Sharpton has never impressed me on the field as much as he has impressed some of you guys. You can't tell how a player plays by looking at just a stat line....so those stats don't mean much to me. I have to see his assignment on a given play to make a stat relevant. Stats are for baseball in any case.
I don't think anybody has ever used the term "impressed" to describe Sharpton; his stat lines certainly were never impressive.

Sharpton was a fourth round draft choice; you expect a back-up at that spot.
If you're lucky to get a decent spot starter out of him, IMO, you're on the plus side.
And this is what I see in him.
But since he hasn't been able to stay healthy, he reverts back to an average draft pick at his spot.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #283
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Sharpton has never impressed me on the field as much as he has impressed some of you guys.
For me, it's not that I'm so impressed with Sharpton, it's that I'm not impressed by Mays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Sharpton was a fourth round draft choice; you expect a back-up at that spot.
If you're lucky to get a decent spot starter out of him, IMO, you're on the plus side.
Not me. I'd like to get a starter out of the fourth round. May not be a star like Cushing, but he should "belong" on the field. I don't expect them all to start, but I'm not expecting a back-up from a 4th round pick.

I think the odds are less likely that he'll be a starter, but over time I should have a few 4th rounders starting.
Old 08-07-2013   #284
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
For me, it's not that I'm so impressed with Sharpton, it's that I'm not impressed by Mays.

Not me. I'd like to get a starter out of the fourth round. May not be a star like Cushing, but he should "belong" on the field. I don't expect them all to start, but I'm not expecting a back-up from a 4th round pick.

I think the odds are less likely that he'll be a starter, but over time I should have a few 4th rounders starting.
A starter in the fourth is a plus, not a must.
I had mentioned a few different studies of how the players perform by draft round.
I can't remember where those links are, but here's another one:

http://datascopeanalytics.com/what-w...-the-nfl-draft

According to this, the chance of getting a starter in the fourth round is about 25-30% (and the starters here don't even have to be bona-fine starter; they just need to be able to start a certain number of games in their career, whether their play was mediocre or below average.)
Old 08-07-2013   #285
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

According to this, the chance of getting a starter in the fourth round is about 25-30% (and the starters here don't even have to be bona-fine starter; they just need to be able to start a certain number of games in their career, whether their play was mediocre or below average.)
That may be the case, but I can't imagine there are any NFL teams with nothing but 1st - 3rd round draft picks starting on both sides of the ball. I'm just throwing this out there, but I feel like every team has at least 2 or more 4th rounders & later on both sides of the ball.

We've got OD, Newton, Brooks, Myers, & Schaub (more or less) that were orginally 4th or later picks on offense.

Defensively we've got Sharpton (if he wins the battle with 6th rounder Mays).... well... we're stacked defensively. That can't be the norm.
Old 08-08-2013   #286
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That may be the case, but I can't imagine there are any NFL teams with nothing but 1st - 3rd round draft picks starting on both sides of the ball. I'm just throwing this out there, but I feel like every team has at least 2 or more 4th rounders & later on both sides of the ball.

We've got OD, Newton, Brooks, Myers, & Schaub (more or less) that were orginally 4th or later picks on offense.

Defensively we've got Sharpton (if he wins the battle with 6th rounder Mays).... well... we're stacked defensively. That can't be the norm.
The norm is to also count 5th, 6th, 7th rounders and UDFAs who make it as starters.

I went through the AFC rosters, and the Texans are quite the norm last year.

The Browns have only 4 starters last year that were not drafted in the first 3 rounds (the fewest), and the Chiefs next with six (including Matt Cassell, who split starts with Quin.)

The norm is between 8-9 players.
Some of the reasons I can think of are:
- Some starters were injured and replaced by a lower draft picks (Cushing and Caldwell for the Texans.)
- With the salary cap and escalating contracts at the top end, teams have no choice but to stock up on on cheaper players who became starters based on their merit like Foster or because the other guy(s) at the position didn't work out (Cassell over Brady Quin.)
Old 08-08-2013   #287
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are forgetting that last year it was Bradie James next to Cushing in the ILB spots when our defense was at it's peak. Cushing is a good enough player that you can have a Joe Mays/Darryl Sharpton guy next to him who might excel at some part of the game, but are strictly second fiddle to the Psycho.

I like the Mays signing because it's insurance in case Sharpton does his seemingly annual trip to IR, and we aren't stuck starting the Barrett Ruud's and whatnot next to garbage at ILB.
Old 08-08-2013   #288
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You guys are forgetting that last year it was Bradie James next to Cushing in the ILB spots when our defense was at it's peak. Cushing is a good enough player that you can have a Joe Mays/Darryl Sharpton guy next to him who might excel at some part of the game, but are strictly second fiddle to the Psycho.

I like the Mays signing because it's insurance in case Sharpton does his seemingly annual trip to IR, and we aren't stuck starting the Barrett Ruud's and whatnot next to garbage at ILB.
Oh, I like Mays as depth, but I am concern with his coverage skill and the number of tackles he missed. If he can improve some, and if Wade can put him in good situations, he might turn his game around.
Depth is always a good thing; you know I always like that.
Old 08-26-2013   #289
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
IMHO I see Joe Mays as just another guy. I don't think he's the answer to the Texans stopping the run up the middle. From what I've seen Mays will have trouble with average and ordinary TE's and FB's in league and will get swallowed up by interior lineman. When you are bouncing around 90 man rosters in the first week of training camp you're pretty much a camp body, a stop gap and/or the best that the salary cap could afford and that's not necessarily a good thing. Making do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I didn't say he was not good, I did indicate he was kind of average and ordinary. I'm not trying to make him to be more than what has been his 5 years in the league which is pretty much a journeyman. If Cush was at 100% and Sharpton was on the field I doubt Mays is even a blip on the Texans radar.
As it turns out, Joe Mays really is just another guy, a journeyman.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read