Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2013   #101
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
As soon as the Ravens jumped us and took Aurthur Brown we should have already known that Cushing was an injury away from an ILB situation of suck again. If he stays healthy and progresses we are just fine here. At least we have a real answer on the roster

But this thread is about who is finally going to step up at OLB considering the draft investments we have made there over the past 3 seasons. Funny the UDFA is all the talk right now.

Does anyone know where Mercilus is at? He going to play Thurs?
I'm not so sure about that at this point. Brown is 3rd on the depth chart behind Jameel McClain a six year vet and 2nd year player Josh Bynes. I've heard some less than rave reviews on his performance so far and appears to be somewhat validated by his position on the depth chart.

All that aside though I agree that Cush needs to get back to himself quickly and Mays learns how to tackle at least until we can find Sharpton!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #102
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm not so sure about that at this point. Brown is 3rd on the depth chart behind Jameel McClain a six year vet and 2nd year player Josh Bynes. I've heard some less than rave reviews on his performance so far and appears to be somewhat validated by his position on the depth chart.

All that aside though I agree that Cush needs to get back to himself quickly and Mays learns how to tackle at least until we can find Sharpton!
Remember Sio Moore was the guy I tabbed for the Texans as he's an all-around LB who can play either inside or outside; he can rush and he can cover.

The Raiders took him in the third and the words out of their training camp is that he has been making good impressions.
He's currently first on their depth chart and is slated to start at OLB in their 4-3.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #103
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Speaks more on their depth at the position to me. Ravens board for the most part they all love Brown, his ability in pass coverage and dont expect him to be coming off the bench for long.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #104
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lock/#comments

Quote:
The 49ers are talented on defense, and deep.

They’re now hoping to turn some of that depth into something else.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, the 49ers are shopping outside linebacker Parys Haralson in trade talks.
Supposed to be REALLY good at OLB....just saying
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #105
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I'd be interested in making that move...

What I'd trade I don't know...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #106
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Interesting but what do you give up for him? Does he start here? Reed and Mercilus are the annointed ones and so you're getting him for depth right? Where do you willingly get thinner or are you thinking draft picks?
Old 08-26-2013   #107
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting; I'd entertain.
Old 08-26-2013   #108
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Interesting but what do you give up for him? Does he start here? Reed and Mercilus are the annointed ones and so you're getting him for depth right? Where do you willingly get thinner or are you thinking draft picks?
Niners boards are thinking a 5th or 6th rd draft pick could do it. And IMO Mercilus hasn't really earned anything yet since he has been injured going on close to a month now.
Old 08-26-2013   #109
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Niners boards are thinking a 5th or 6th rd draft pick could do it. And IMO Mercilus hasn't really earned anything yet since he has been injured going on close to a month now.
Getting more interesting.
Old 08-26-2013   #110
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

OLB will be big a issue imo regardless of whom we add at this point in the season.
Old 08-26-2013   #111
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Wonder whatever happened to old Threetoedpete. I kinda miss the cranky old man. LOL
I've been wondering that myself.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #112
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'd be interested in making that move...

What I'd trade I don't know...

Yeah... them damned Niners are pretty much set everywhere. We could offer a pick but hell, why would I help them?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #113
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
OLB will be big a issue imo regardless of whom we add at this point in the season.

How hard can it be?

Wade: Go get me the ball!
OLB: Ill get you the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2013   #114
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Reed has earned his spot , he produced his rookie year and even with the lower numbers last season he played well ...

Mercilus showed a little promise last season in a limited role ... but Montgomery & T.Williams should be closer to being cut than handed playing time. (no , they wont be cut but they have been outplayed by one and possibly two UDFA's in Jefferson & Tuggle.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #115
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Getting more interesting.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sour...-traded-saints

Traded to the damn Saints. Dammit Rick!
Old 08-27-2013   #116
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sour...-traded-saints

Traded to the damn Saints. Dammit Rick!
That's really cheap for a better than average player.

Quote:
The 49ers receive a conditional seventh-round pick as compensation, the Sacramento Bee reported. If Haralson does not make the team, the 49ers will receive no compensation.

Haralson, 29, who is entering his eighth NFL season is in the final year of his contract. He is schedule to make $1.15 million, a salary the 49ers negotiated down from $2.67 million in the offseason.
Conditional 7th and $1.15M? Where the hell was the Texans offer?
Old 08-27-2013   #117
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see Trevardo in a situation where everyone knows a pass is coming. I want to see if he can use that speed to get around blocks and pressure/get to the QB.

That's the ONLY hesitation I'd have with letting him go. That's the only chance he has at helping this team this year. Being a demon on pass rush downs.

Otherwise he's a complete waste of a roster spot that could go to someone that actually can play.

I've never see an NFL defensive player get rag dolled like Trevardo has. I mean, I've seen DB's stand up to olinemen better.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #118
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22191 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks like our OLB's are: Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Montgomery & Jackson.

Can someone clarify, is it Reed on the strong side and Mercilus on the weak side? I'm assuming Jackson plays behind Mercilus. Is this correct? Which side does Montgomery play? Behind Reed? How about Braman? Which side is he projected to?

Mercilus is unproven and missed time in training camp and the preseason games. This side of the ball is a huge question mark.

Of this group of LB's, Braman has the most experience possibly for this second position. In the Dallas game he seemed to drop into coverage fairly well and on plays to the opposite side, took proper angles to help out down field if necessary. At the POA he made tackles but it seemed after giving up 3 or 4 yards.

Now that we know the players, how do you see this position settling out.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #119
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed and mercilus are gonna have to bring it this year....no confidence in any of the other olbs whatsoever..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #120
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
It looks like our OLB's are: Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Montgomery & Jackson.
Outside linebackers are Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Braman, Sam Montgomery, Willie Jefferson with Justin Tuggle kind of a "swing" ILB/OLB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read