Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2013   #81
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
This thread is titled "The OLBs", like there are multiples, LOL. This preseason, it's been Willie Jefferson and a bunch of scrubs.
He got the start today ?! .... or at least played in the first series.

Was watching him set the edge against the run , he's really improved in that aspect in a very short period of time from horrible to .... solid.

He damn near sacked Brees for a safety but got stood up on another play.

Dude has a lot of potential but a lot of work to do to reach that potential. Cant believe he went undrafted.

I believe he's a lock for the final 53 as of now.

Quote:
ILB is not going to be much better, as Cushing continues to recover from the injury. He won't be himself until the latter half of the season, I don't think. Mays may be better than Bradie James was (not a high bar), but we're still looking at a less than prime Cushing, Tim Dobbins, Joe Mays, and the mythical creature called Darryl Sharpton.

FFS this group scares the piss outa me with their horrible tackling ..... as does having Keo anywhere near the field accept on those .... not so special teams. Its like they have no concept of lane integrity or .... hey , I can read that guy's name on the back of his jersey , I should block him!

Quote:
Thank God the DL looks to be better so far.
They did look really good early today without Ninja and Watt ..... They all need to eat whatever Earl Mitchell has been eating .... Looks like a different player this season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #82
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I got the optimism thing going this year. I care less but I'm enjoying it more.
Oh hell, what the heck...
Barkeep, I'll have what he's having.
...and make mine a double.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #83
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He got the start today ?! .... or at least played in the first series.

Was watching him set the edge against the run , he's really improved in that aspect in a very short period of time from horrible to .... solid.

He damn near sacked Brees for a safety but got stood up on another play.

Dude has a lot of potential but a lot of work to do to reach that potential. Cant believe he went undrafted.

I believe he's a lock for the final 53 as of now.

FFS this group scares the piss outa me with their horrible tackling ..... as does having Keo anywhere near the field accept on those .... not so special teams. Its like they have no concept of lane integrity or .... hey , I can read that guy's name on the back of his jersey , I should block him!

They did look really good early today without Ninja and Watt ..... They all need to eat whatever Earl Mitchell has been eating .... Looks like a different player this season.
1. The entire LB crew scare me half to death. They are one Cushing injury away from being as bad or worse than they were last yr. The OLB's cant put pressure on the passer and I think Jefferson an undersized UDFA is their best pass rusher, after yrs of spending high draft picks on trying to find an elite guy to pressure the passer. This scares the he** out of me and should scare Wade/Gary too. Tell me out of all of the contenders tell me who has a worse set of LB's. Cushing currently looks like a shell of himself. Hopefully he recovers to game speed quickly, or this defense is in trouble.

2. The one constant Joe Marciano, Gary is loyal to a fault. Great quality to have, but the bottom line is the Texans have had terrible ST's for yrs.

Coach Joe must go

Last edited by steelbtexan; 08-26-2013 at 09:16 AM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #84
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1. The entire LB crew scare me half to death. They are one Cushing injury away from being as bad or worse than they were last yr. The OLB's cant put pressure on the passer and I think Jefferson an undersized UDFA is their best pass rusher, after yrs of spending high draft picks on trying to find an elite guy to pressure the passer. This scares the he** out of me and should scare Wade/Gary too. Tell me out of all of the contenders tell me who has a worse set of LB's. Cushing currently looks like a shell of himself. Hopefully he recovers to game speed quickly, or this defense is in trouble.

2. The one constant Joe Marciano, Gary is loyal to a fault. Great quality to have, but the bottom line is the Texans have had terrible ST's for yrs.

Coach must go
Patriots easily. Makes those losses last year sting even worse.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
They have a difference maker at a the most important position in the game ....

Old 08-26-2013   #86
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Not sure why you think they do. Jerod Mayo is solid as can be. Third most tackles from the OLB position last year. Heck, PFF has both their OLB's in the top ten. But they generally run a 4-3 (though highly flexible to shift to a 3-4 at times) so they utilize theirs different than we do. But yeah their OLB's have proven more than ours at this point.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #87
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Oh hell, what the heck...
Barkeep, I'll have what he's having.
...and make mine a double.
It really is going to be fine. Mercilus will get over his injury and he will be a factor for us. He'll easily outshine what Barwin gave us. Easily. I'm not hung up on wins this year or at least not on some massive number of wins. I don't care if we have problematic injuries right now either. We have young guys like Jefferson who will get in there some and contribute I'm sure but they've got all year to get up to speed. Williams and Montgomery aren't going to be the guys we'd hoped they would be but they'll look a lot better by the end of the year than they do right now.

What we look like late in the year and making the postseason are all I care about and it's way too early to be thinking about any of that. If you look good on paper right now, look good on the field at least some of the time, and have no injuries to key players that will keep them out for the entire season then you're fine. We're fine.

Sure, we're one Cushing injury away from being in trouble with our ILB's. Everyone in the NFL is one injury away from bring screwed somewhere. The injury bug will strike, you just have to hope it doesn't hit where you couldn't afford to build any depth or where you're thin due to **** happening.

I'm fine with 9 or 10 wins and a wild card if we go charging into the playoffs this time instead of staggering and stumbling in again.
Old 08-26-2013   #88
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

As soon as the Ravens jumped us and took Aurthur Brown we should have already known that Cushing was an injury away from an ILB situation of suck again. If he stays healthy and progresses we are just fine here. At least we have a real answer on the roster

But this thread is about who is finally going to step up at OLB considering the draft investments we have made there over the past 3 seasons. Funny the UDFA is all the talk right now.

Does anyone know where Mercilus is at? He going to play Thurs?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #89
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
As soon as the Ravens jumped us and took Aurthur Brown we should have already known that Cushing was an injury away from an ILB situation of suck again. If he stays healthy and progresses we are just fine here. At least we have a real answer on the roster

But this thread is about who is finally going to step up at OLB considering the draft investments we have made there over the past 3 seasons. Funny the UDFA is all the talk right now.

Does anyone know where Mercilus is at? He going to play Thurs?
Im not so concerned about Mercilus .... Im wondering if Sam Montgomery & Trevardo Williams make the final roster.

IMO neither deserves a roster spot .... they wont be cut , but you could justify them getting a redshirt year on IR with some mysterious injury.

Old 08-26-2013   #90
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm now on the Willie Jefferson bandwagon - bigtime !
The one play where he got his hands on Brees, almost sacked him, in the EZ yesterday showed he's got the basics to be a legit NFL passrusher: real quicks, excellent length, and relentless pursuit to the QB (aka a "motor").
WJ will most def be among the 4 or 5 Outside backers who make the final 53, and it will be interesting to watch his career develop in Houston.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #91
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im not so concerned about Mercilus .... Im wondering if Sam Montgomery & Trevardo Williams make the final roster.

IMO neither deserves a roster spot .... they wont be cut , but you could justify them getting a redshirt year on IR with some mysterious injury.
They are already injured. They just need to "reaggravate" it "a little".

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What's wrong with Aaron Curry?
Looks like the Giants just cut him.
Can Wade do something with the guy.
He's on the cheap now.
Old 08-26-2013   #93
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This I agree with. Willie has flat out embarrassed them and earned a spot and a big role IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #94
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He's on the cheap now.
I just remember when he was considered the safest pick in the draft. Wow.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #95
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's on the cheap now.
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

I was high on him coming out of College too. Shows what I know

Seems like a great guy though, if that counts
Old 08-26-2013   #96
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's wrong with Aaron Curry? Looks like the Giants just cut him...
The LB needy Giants cut him on first cut day -- he was even behind Kyle Bosworth, the nephew of former NFL bust Brian Bosworth -- after the Oakland Raiders cut him in November.

Has to be more than just the knee. Guy is not a baller.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #97
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's on the cheap now.
He's the epitome of a bust, but I'm wondering if he's ever played OLB in a 3-4.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #98
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
He's the epitome of a bust, but I'm wondering if he's ever played OLB in a 3-4.
During the draft, I was disagreeing with some posters, especially ThreeToePeed who was really high on him.
I thought Curry was overrated as a high pick.

But at minimum salary, I don't mind to see if Wade can turn his career around.

Pete Carrol runs a 43 Under but he often brings the OLB to the LOS, so it's more or less a 52 like ours, especially regarding that OLB.
This was where Cushing often lined up at USC while Matthews played more like a DE.

I watched him in 09 and 2010, and he showed flashes, but he was never worth a high first round pick. No idea how his plays were after that.
Old 08-26-2013   #99
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
During the draft, I was disagreeing with some posters, especially ThreeToePeed who was really high on him.
I thought Curry was overrated as a high pick.

But at minimum salary, I don't mind to see if Wade can turn his career around.

Pete Carrol runs a 43 Under but he often brings the OLB to the LOS, so it's more or less a 52 like ours, especially regarding that OLB.
This was where Cushing often lined up at USC while Matthews played more like a DE.

I watched him in 09 and 2010, and he showed flashes, but he was never worth a high first round pick. No idea how his plays were after that.
Wonder whatever happened to old Threetoedpete. I kinda miss the cranky old man. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #100
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Wonder whatever happened to old Threetoedpete. I kinda miss the cranky old man. LOL
Maybe he retires to Tahiti somewhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read