Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2005   #21
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr2Johnson
Dont Worry, the Packers arent firing Mike Sherman, its too early, they were hampered my injuiries, The Lions will get someone, Probably not Kubiak, Norv Turner is in limbo for his lack of defense, Billick wont get fired, its only one bad season.

So who does that leave us with, asumming Both Leinart and Bush, He probably wont go back, The Texans could try to sign him, Jimmie Johnson would be a pleseant surprise, But realisticly, The He wont come,

Here are the list of Coaches we shoud take a look at

Steve Marriuci
Gary Kubiak(Maybe he will make David The next Randall Cunningham, Maybe)
Monte Kiffin
Jim Johnson(Eagles DC)
Pete Carroll
Jimmie Johnson(For GM and Head Coach )
Steve Marriuci may be headed to GB -- thank goodness because he only succeeds if he has great players. He'd simply continue the losing in Houston. Kubiak has been turned down on three different occasions for HC jobs -- probably a reason for that. Jim Johnson is being exposed this year. Pete Carroll has failed on two separate occasions in the NFL because he isn't a discipilinarian and likes to buddy up with the players. Jimmie Johnson would be a disaster as he proved in Miami. Also, bringing in a Dallas guy to Houston is blasphemy.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #22
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I don't know why some of you guys are so hard on Martz. Granted, some of his playcalling can be a little ridiculous at times, but let's look at a couple things:

1. He was the OC of a team that has scored the most points in a season.

2. He was an OC and a HC on a team that went to back-to-back Super Bowls.

3. Faulk suffered the "John Madden Curse", and was never the same after that.

4. I believe he had back-to-back MVPs, someone correct me if I'm wrong. (Warner & Faulk).

5. Warner really jacked up his thumb, and could never throw the ball the way he used to, but was able to substitute another QB who really blew up.
The Rams had one year in between their Super Bowls, the year the Ravens beat the Giants in one of the more boring Super Bowls in recent memory.

I wouldn't mind Jimmie Johnson as a GM, but I don't think Casserly will be canned yet. I also wouldn't mind Martz as OC, but I don't really like either of them as HC. Carroll hasn't had much success in the NFL and would likely want a big portion of GM duties so he has more control over picking his players like he can do in college with recruiting, and I'm not sure he'd come here without Casserly being fired, and I'm not sure I want him as coach either. Kubiak seems like he could do alright and set up a good offense and help Carr develop, plus our team is constructed relatively similarly to the Broncos already so he won't have to adjust his scheme too much and our players wouldn't have as big of an adjustment. I also wouldn't mind Kiffin (isn't it Marty not Monte?) or Johnson the Eagles DC as they have produced some nice defenses and always bring a lot of pressure, but I don't know if our defense has enough speed and talent for them to come here, plus we're currently built for a 3-4 and have some players locked down with huge contracts that would generally be the first to go with a change to their type of system. Billick could be out of Balitmore, as he has had a couple bad years in between good ones and their offense is still horrible and getting progressively worse when he's supposed to be an offensive coach. I'm not saying I really want him here, but their HC job could be open too.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 12-08-2005 at 09:30 AM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #23
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 57823 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I think Mcnair has learned that through the hiring of the coordinators of this team. I just hope he doesn't settle also for some guy like Mariucci.
In one of the chronicles articles earlier this week there was mention that McNair went the "cheap" route in hiring our assistant coaches.
Anyone here know what was being referred to? Were there other ( more successful ?) coaches who wanted to come here but who priced themselves out of the job?
The longer this drags out the more convinced I am that Capers will be staying and the search will be for assistants.

Then again McNair may clean house. Who knows?
Old 12-09-2005   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't believe that McNair still wants to keep Capers around. I mean I believe it, but that's just crazy. This team is 1-11 for crying out loud. Go find a high school coach and give him a shot. Geez.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #25
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

High school coach? Let's not go off the deep end, now.

For his first venture into his new business, he knows what he has in Capers - and good or bad, is "comfortable" with that. I feel he hears the fans and sees the result of choices made on the field and in the stands and understands that he may be forced to make a change from what he is familiar with (in 4 short seasons) to get fans excited once more and get the income flowing again.

It may be he just wants to make sure the right decision is made as this is a pretty big point in the team's toddler years that will note what direction we're going in the future. It has to be the right decision so he's not in a similar situation 4 years from now.

Just to be the person behind the scenes, hear the fans are enjoying themselves and the team, the team is harmonious, coaches are well recieved, and that it's a good overall experience for the city of Houston and Texan fans across the state... states... world maybe? I think that's what he's looking for.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #26
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
Im scared of getting Mike Martz...

Honorable mention Joe Pendry.. He has put a better gameplan on the field for the offense.. and I love a coordinator calling plays from the sidelines.. it helps communication wise.
If Pendry becomes our next head coach i will put all of my psl's for sale and never attend another game. Pendry is a major player in this years record. Ever since he became our oline coach is has sucked more and more.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

This is totally my perception and may not be based in reality at all, but my issue with Martz is a perceived lack of adaptability. I think he's a great offensive mind, no doubt. But Martz was able to use Faulk in all sorts of ways and Faulk was the biggest threat on the field, even with Bruce and Holt. With Faulk's decline, they took Steven Jackson and for whatever reason, they have not used him as most people think he should be used. I'm not sure if Martz was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole or if he just doesn't know what he has in Jackson, but that guy is the prototypical running back that most teams would love to have. And the times that Martz (now Vitt) has leaned on Jackson, it's opened up the offense all around. The Rams have a very good passing attack, no matter what. That passing attack is even better on days where they go heavy on Jackson early and stick with him late.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Steve Marriuci may be headed to GB -- thank goodness because he only succeeds if he has great players. He'd simply continue the losing in Houston. Kubiak has been turned down on three different occasions for HC jobs -- probably a reason for that. Jim Johnson is being exposed this year. Pete Carroll has failed on two separate occasions in the NFL because he isn't a discipilinarian and likes to buddy up with the players. Jimmie Johnson would be a disaster as he proved in Miami. Also, bringing in a Dallas guy to Houston is blasphemy.
Really? I heard he passed on at least one of those jobs and maybe two. He was passed over for the Houston job, since the consensus was that Capers was a better caretaker for an expansion team. So it was nothing against Kubiak, in that case. McNair/Casserly just liked Capers.

EDIT - OK, I couldn't find anything concrete, but I did find a Saints rumor blog from Jan. 2000 speculating on who would take over as Saints coach. There is a snippet on Kubiak, as well as Capers and Pendry. Also Casserly is mentioned for the GM spot.

"Gary Kubiak's name has come up as a potential head coaching candidate for just about every job opening in the NFL and NCAA for the past two seasons. Kubiak, currently the Denver Broncos offensive coordinator, has already told Patriots that he has no interest in their coaching vacancy and has a history of turning down teams' job offers.

Just last year Kubiak turned down the University of Colorado coaching position and was less than receptive to inquiries from the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens. At one time it was also rumored that Jerry Jones had interest in Kubiak prior to naming Chan Gailey as his head coach prior to the 1998 season. Kubiak has stated before that he feels like he still has a lot to learn about being a head coach and hasn't felt ready for that responsibility yet.
"
http://www.angelfire.com/la/saintsno...chive1500.html

I also found an article from the Denver Business Journal reporting that Kubiak turned down the Colorado Univ.'s head coaching position in '99.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/st...18/daily1.html

Last edited by eriadoc; 12-09-2005 at 10:18 AM.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #29
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo

WOW! I'm starting to wonder if Jesus could coach this team? Maybe he would be 'exposed' as too merciful to the players?

Jimmy J, Carroll, Kubiak would all work fine down here compared to what we've seen.
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #30
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
As much as he is still an improvement over what we were seeing in Palmer, I have to agree: I think Pendry has been way too conservative with players that are at their best when we are aggressive (was he the one that started Victor Riley those first five weeks??). Carr in my opinion is more of a down-field passer: the big-arm, not really accurate QB who is going to come up with a lot of big plays with a few INTs to boot. Andre's speed, jumping ability, and strength are not overly as useful when he is running short curl routes. Neutering Carr with all of these five-yard out routes has killed his game. Though it can also be argued that we throw them out of necessity after we put up all those sacks to open the year.
I think last year we were running Palmer's offense and this year we started with Palmer running a Capers/Pendry offense that was forced on him.

Yes, it was Pendry who picked Riley to start at tackle and brought him right back to start at guard when injuries occured. He has proven he assigns playing time based on something other than who the best player available is.

Your other comments about Carr and Dre is one of the main reasons last year's offense was better than at any point this year. When it is said that "the offense is improving" that really means from the start of this year -it is worse than last year IMHO.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
In one of the chronicles articles earlier this week there was mention that McNair went the "cheap" route in hiring our assistant coaches.
Anyone here know what was being referred to? Were there other ( more successful ?) coaches who wanted to come here but who priced themselves out of the job?
The longer this drags out the more convinced I am that Capers will be staying and the search will be for assistants.

Then again McNair may clean house. Who knows?
It was a Richard Justice column (on Monday, IIRC). He said McNair did not want to pay "top dollar" for assistance coaches. It didn't elaborate beyond that, as the main focus of the article was about keeping Casserly. (Justice went on to say that the GM only gets the players that the coaches want yada yada yada.)

I think one of the considerations that coaches took into account with the Texans was that they were being hired a full season and a half before our inaugural year. So they had one full NFL season with nothing to do but evaluate players. I'm only speculating here, but I'd venture that some coaches did not find it a very attractive situation at the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read