Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2013   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Thomas is too clean to play for the Raiders.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #62
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
OLB is still a big question mark for me and probably will continue to be through the season. I think we'll see several players rotating through out the season until someone steps up. Hopefully, Reed and Mercilus will take the lead but at this point I don't have a lot of confidence in either and having a bunch of mid-round draft picks and undrafted free agents doesn't help the situation. Overall, I think the defense will struggle this year. Just too many question marks in a lot of critical areas.
I have to strongly agree with this general concept. Reed and Mercilus don't fill me with any confidence, and Montgomery and T. Williams are a disappointment as well. Tuggle and Jefferson are at least a step in the right direction and I can see these guys being used rotationally very often. Tuggle and Jefferson being far ahead of Montgomery and T. Williams also makes me question our scouting dept. and draft evaluation process. It seems that Connor Barwin wasn't so easy to replace after all. I agree with Nawzer, I think our defense will struggle this year.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #63
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing healthy is the 2nd most important player on defense IMO . The OLB position is behind where it should be even if Mercilus was healthy . It was that way last year and they added rookies .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Oh...and I'm not worried about the inside guys. Those guys are going to make some plays this season. Cush, mays and sharpton is a solid trio of inside guys. Dobbins is gravy.
I feel the same way.

If Wade likes the idea of moving Brooks inside, that threatens Dobbins imo. It would allow us to keep an extra OLB.

If they like Mike Mohamed playing inside/outside, even worse for Dobbins.

& if it were my roster, I'd let Dobbins go, keep Mohamed.
Old 08-21-2013   #65
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't keep Mohammed over big dob. I think Mohammed can be put on ps. And dob has shown some serious short yardage thumping ability. Plus he is supposedly good on special teams.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #66
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe the last two pre-season games will decide something differently, but Tuggle has played with the 1's the first two games, and I can't see where he has hurt himself. Jefferson keeps flashing, and has a very sorely-needed skill, pass rushing. Bramon is very good on special teams, and has been effective at rushing the passer.

Mercilus has been hurt, so who knows how much improvement he will have from last year.

I would not want the responsibility of making the final cuts to this group if Williams and Montgomery don't show better in these last two pre-season games.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Maybe the last two pre-season games will decide something differently, but Tuggle has played with the 1's the first two games, and I can't see where he has hurt himself. Jefferson keeps flashing, and has a very sorely-needed skill, pass rushing. Bramon is very good on special teams, and has been effective at rushing the passer.

Mercilus has been hurt, so who knows how much improvement he will have from last year.

I would not want the responsibility of making the final cuts to this group if Williams and Montgomery don't show better in these last two pre-season games.
Agreed! I wouldn't want to be the one to make the final cut.
There's possibility at quite a few positions.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Agreed! I wouldn't want to be the one to make the final cut.
There's possibility at quite a few positions.
I'd love to be the one.

If they don't do it my way, they're going to screw it up.

Old 08-24-2013   #69
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
OLB's gonna be fine. Least of our problems. In fact the entire defense is going to be rolling this year barring injuries.

What kills the 2013 season if anything can kill it will be OL play.

(again, other than injuries. Injuries change everything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
What have you seen from Reed and Mercilous to make you feel that way? I feel this is the worst unit on the entire team
I can't wait to hear the answer to that question. Merciless hasn't played and Reed hasn't really shown much.

The Saints tussle will tell us much about where we really are defensively.
We may not be as formidable as we'd like to think on the D side of the ball.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #70
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Jefferson caused some good disruption at times today. Reed was decent against the run, but was swallowed up by the tackles on passing downs as usual.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #71
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Willie is definitely going to be a player. He's improved a ton since Game 1. I think they've already made up their minds he's going to be on the team. Now get that man a real jersey number.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #72
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I can't wait to hear the answer to that question. Merciless hasn't played and Reed hasn't really shown much.

The Saints tussle will tell us much about where we really are defensively.
We may not be as formidable as we'd like to think on the D side of the ball.

On the other hand we may be just as formidable as we'd like to think on the D side. We won't really know until the real bullets start flying.

I got the optimism thing going this year. I care less but I'm enjoying it more.
Old 08-25-2013   #73
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45032 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

ILB's that can drop back against tight ends
and at least attempt to stop a screen look like a bigger
need to me..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #74
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #75
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

This thread is titled "The OLBs", like there are multiples, LOL. This preseason, it's been Willie Jefferson and a bunch of scrubs.

ILB is not going to be much better, as Cushing continues to recover from the injury. He won't be himself until the latter half of the season, I don't think. Mays may be better than Bradie James was (not a high bar), but we're still looking at a less than prime Cushing, Tim Dobbins, Joe Mays, and the mythical creature called Darryl Sharpton.

Thank God the DL looks to be better so far.
Old 08-25-2013   #76
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

When Willie rushes he reminds me of a cobra. He plays with his limbs kinda close to his frame and when he gets with in striking distance he uncoils.

He just needs to get stronger so his inside moves become more effective.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I'll be surprised if Mays starts week 1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-25-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
When Willie rushes he reminds me of a cobra. He plays with his limbs kinda close to his frame and when he gets with in striking distance he uncoils.

He just needs to get stronger so his inside moves become more effective.
I think he's great. If he starts week 1 he'll be in the conversation for DROY by the end of the year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-25-2013   #79
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As of today we should draft both an OLB & ILB 2014.
Old 08-25-2013   #80
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Willie is definitely going to be a player. He's improved a ton since Game 1. I think they've already made up their minds he's going to be on the team. Now get that man a real jersey number.
That's funny. That jersey is atrocious
He definitely has raw talent and has and will only get better. I'll use the "preseason" excuse but once the bullets start flying for real and Watt and the improved D line play mesh ill hold off judgement for a few weeks into the regular season.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read