Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2013   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The backup RB battle

I guess the question is which two do we keep. Yeah, I see one as part of the 53 and one on the P/S.

Even with his disappointing game time performance - when running - D.J. seems to be better at recognizing and picking up blitzes in pass protect. C. Wood seems to have the better vision and one-cut ability. Although Karim isn't but a hair behind him. And, as A80 said, Graham hasn't had sufficient game time carries to make a fair assessment; he must not be doing enough in practice to earn said game time carries. Need help from those who are at practice for some insight.

So which two??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #22
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Wood has impressed me a lot more than any of the other backs we have seen so far in the preseason.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #23
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

As bad as the Steelers are banged up at RB, I could see our guys not clearing waivers for PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #24
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been the most impressed with Wood and Karim. My feeling is that Karim will be our #3 due to his play and his experience.

I would love for the Texans to make Wood #3 or #4, but my feeling on this is that he and the rest of them will be waived. My guess right now is that it will be Foster/Tate/Karim on the roster.

Somebody will grab Wood from the waiver wire. Not sure who, but I definitely see this happening. It has happened before.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
As bad as the Steelers are banged up at RB, I could see our guys not clearing waivers for PS.
Steelers just acquired Felix Jones, but I expect we will lose an RB off the PS and I expect Kubiak/Smith will get on the telephones trying to find places for these RBs who came to camp but are not in our plans. Talented group.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #26
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post
I have been the most impressed with Wood and Karim. My feeling is that Karim will be our #3 due to his play and his experience.

I would love for the Texans to make Wood #3 or #4, but my feeling on this is that he and the rest of them will be waived. My guess right now is that it will be Foster/Tate/Karim on the roster.

Somebody will grab Wood from the waiver wire. Not sure who, but I definitely see this happening. It has happened before.

Yeah. I don't think that Kubiak likes Wood as much as the rest of us do. I'm not sure why that is. It might be that he doesn't practice very well and to get a chance with Kubiak, you've got to be a professional who gets his business done on the practice field.

Judging from when different guys have been seeing the field, I think the depth chart as of the LAST preseason game was:

1. Foster
2. Tate
3. Karim
4. Dennis Johnson
5. Cierre Wood
6. Ray Graham.

From what I've been seeing, it really looks like they prefer Dennis Johnson and I suspect he's actually been the one that's been the best on the practice field.

Unless something strange happens, I expect Foster/Tate/Karim to start the season as our RBs and I expect them to try to slip DJ and/or Wood to the PS. I think Graham is out which is sad because I think he's a pretty talented guy who just hasn't gotten enough touches.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #28
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Dennis Johnson has looked that speedy on the field. I also don't think he has gotten many rushing yards.

I also don't think Ben Tate has looked that good in preseason.

I would rather see Wood and Karim as the ones that make the team
Old 08-23-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I remember when we got Arian & Jeremiah Johnson in training camp.

This feels very similar.
Old 08-23-2013   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Karim is probably best in pass pro and as a vet he has experience. He's probably the most dependable of the bunch and was a viable fantasy football commodity just a year back with mjd's issues.

We all know how much Gary values the ability to pass protect from the RB spot .... a big part of why Foster didnt get an opportunity before injuries forced it.

Quote:
Johnson is the speedster of the bunch with reliable hands and more value then anyone else as a return man

Ive seen a couple instances where DJ put the ball on the turf in practice .... Im not sold on him having the best / most reliable hands of the bunch.

Quote:
I think c wood has the highest ceiling of the bunch and have been most impressed with him.

Wood reminds me an awful lot of Foster in this scheme .... I agree he has the highest upside of the group. He only got 5 carries Vs the Fish .... It'll be interesting to see how much run he gets in the next two dress rehersals - I have a feeling he doesn't get many touches and they try to hide him on the PS for a year. He looked really good against the Vikes very solid front seven.

I prefer Wood myself because of the upside but I think it comes down to pass protect ability and Karim wins the initial roster spot out of camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
I don't think Dennis Johnson has looked that speedy on the field. I also don't think he has gotten many rushing yards.

I also don't think Ben Tate has looked that good in preseason.

I would rather see Wood and Karim as the ones that make the team

I wouldn't complain if they moved Tate for a pick now and kept both Karim & Wood.

Then again , Tates value isn't at its peak ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #31
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Yeah. I don't think that Kubiak likes Wood as much as the rest of us do. I'm not sure why that is. It might be that he doesn't practice very well and to get a chance with Kubiak, you've got to be a professional who gets his business done on the practice field.

Judging from when different guys have been seeing the field, I think the depth chart as of the LAST preseason game was:

1. Foster
2. Tate
3. Karim
4. Dennis Johnson
5. Cierre Wood
6. Ray Graham.

From what I've been seeing, it really looks like they prefer Dennis Johnson and I suspect he's actually been the one that's been the best on the practice field.

Unless something strange happens, I expect Foster/Tate/Karim to start the season as our RBs and I expect them to try to slip DJ and/or Wood to the PS. I think Graham is out which is sad because I think he's a pretty talented guy who just hasn't gotten enough touches.
From the horse's mouth: Pass pro & not "helping Joe".

I do agree somewhat that there's a chance he could get snagged and not make it through waivers but in the same breath I don't know what other teams have to offer at the RB position that other teams may covet more.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I remember when we got Arian & Jeremiah Johnson in training camp.

This feels very similar.
I was just thinking the same thing. He's buried on the Broncos' depth chart. I thought he'd be better than that. Turns out J.J. must have been a "system RB".
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. He's buried on the Broncos' depth chart. I thought he'd be better than that. Turns out J.J. must have been a "system RB".
Most likely never got his head straight. Imagine if Arian never dedicated himself to the game.
Old 08-24-2013   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am predicting Foster, Tate, Karim on the 53 man. Greg Jones can run the ball some in "break glass in case of emergency" situation.

woods and Johnson have had moments, but not enough. guessing either or both will be on the PS.

Tate is not even being considered to be traded. He is the only back who has had success as an every down player. if you have aspirations of a Superbowl can't run out a career journeyman and a couple of UDFAs.
Old 08-24-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am predicting Foster, Tate, Karim on the 53 man. Greg Jones can run the ball some in "break glass in case of emergency" situation.

woods and Johnson have had moments, but not enough. guessing either or both will be on the PS.

Tate is not even being considered to be traded. He is the only back who has had success as an every down player. if you have aspirations of a Superbowl can't run out a career journeyman and a couple of UDFAs.
Same mind set as in the other thread.

There have been teams that won the SB with lesser known or unknown RBs at backup.

I'm just going to bring up the Broncos as one example.
In 97, Terrell Davis was a former sixth round draft choice.
His backup Hebron, was an UDFA.

So what did the Broncos do the following year?
They brought in another UDFA, Loville, to add to the mix.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #36
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116586 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Last night during the Hawks/Packers game Simms made a comment that made me smile. Stated that in a couple weeks there will be some talent available from the good, deep teams that will have to cut players because they just cant keep everyone.

Weird but it feels good that we are even talking about losing players
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #37
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Same mind set as in the other thread.

There have been teams that won the SB with lesser known or unknown RBs at backup.

I'm just going to bring up the Broncos as one example.
In 97, Terrell Davis was a former sixth round draft choice.
His backup Hebron, was an UDFA.

So what did the Broncos do the following year?
They brought in another UDFA, Loville, to add to the mix.
You guys crack up with the exception to the rules posting. I am not even going to bother showing the other 16 years since then that again show teams would rather go with experience than journeymen and unproven guys. My post is based on consistent facts of how teams operate, not going find the once in a blue moon that opposite worked out.
Old 08-24-2013   #38
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

If pass protection is a major criteria, Ben Tate should be 3rd on the depth chart. He has been paper to non-existent to as a blocker.

Either way Karim will be the #3 IMO. I think we will PS Wood.

We have a good problem though in that we are pretty deep at this spot
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You guys crack up with the exception to the rules posting. I am not even going to bother showing the other 16 years since then that again show teams would rather go with experience than journeymen and unproven guys. My post is based on consistent facts of how teams operate, not going find the once in a blue moon that opposite worked out.
It's not an exception that the NFL teams averaged 3 former UDFAs as starters last year.

We're talking about backups, which consist of plenty journeymen and UDFAs.
Just go through the roster of each team and see for yourself how many journeymen and UDFAs at backup RB last year.

You haven't looked up any real numbers in this regard, but I have.

If anything, you crack me up.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's not an exception that the NFL teams averaged 3 former UDFAs as starters last year.

We're talking about backups, which consist of plenty journeymen and UDFAs.
Just go through the roster of each team and see for yourself how many journeymen and UDFAs at backup RB last year.

You haven't looked up any real numbers in this regard, but I have.

If anything, you crack me up.
How many of those are QB,WR, RB other than Romo a@nd Marian?

Last edited by infantrycak; 08-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read