Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013   #541
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
And it makes sense. That's a good catch.
And triple negative with positive connotation, LOL.
I wonder what TPN's reaction is going to be.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #542
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And triple negative with positive connotation, LOL.
I wonder what TPN's reaction is going to be.
lol

Dumbstruck with wonder at the glory of it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #543
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't care who wins the back up job really. I just would like both to be on the roster.
Right. And after Aug 31 I hope we don't hear either one of their names again until Camp 2014.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #544
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Right. And after Aug 31 I hope we don't hear either one of their names again until Camp 2014.
Amen to that.
Old 08-23-2013   #545
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
As fun as it is to watch Keenum progress and battle it out with Yates, I think we can all agree with that. This sort of interest is what the preseason is for.
Old 08-23-2013   #546
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching the seahawks v. packers I am impressed with the
play of the seahawks o-line. Wilson has a ton of time to look
all over the field.

I think a lot of that is due to his ability to run keeping guys
from just bull-rushing him. They have to hold up to see if
he keeps on the option, and that really buys more time to
go through your progressions..

I would still love to see Gary give Case more 4-wide and
no back sets. Adopting some of these collegiate offenses
has sure helped a few teams.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #547
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually I'd like to see each of them get some playing time.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #548
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to derail this thread with an actual quote or two from the decision maker...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...f-1b70c92b3ba1

(on who will come in at quarterback after QB Matt Schaub) “(QB) T.J. (Yates) will go second in this game. What I hope to do is, when Matt does leave the game, whatever is left, I hope to split the time. But T.J. will be the second guy to go.”

(on the decision about how to determine whether QBs T.J. Yates and Case Keenum would come in second) “No, really just kind of went back and forth. T.J. did it the first week and then Case will probably start the game next Thursday depending on how we come out of this. I just think it’s important that we look at equal reps and that’s what we’re doing. They’ve almost got equal throws. They’ve almost got equal plays. That’s what we want to be able to do.”
Old 08-23-2013   #549
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69728 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow, it isn't often you see someone pull off a triple negative.
I didn't even realize I did that.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #550
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Only if you accept the assumption that the scouting is done properly. Plenty of elite talent has fallen through the cracks. Foster is a perfect example. He's one of the three or four best RBs in the NFL (2nd, in my book), but he wasn't drafted for reasons that were not related to talent.

We'll see how it pans out for Keenum, but the talent evaluation on him was wrong, and continues to be wrong. His arm is just fine, he has more athleticism than many starting QBs, and he definitely has the drive, work ethic, and mental capacity for the position. The only real question was/is experience. He played in a weird system at UH, didn't take snaps under center, and didn't face NFL style defenses. So it's fair to question if he can conquer those challenges. I think he can, but we'll see. But I think any question of his talent is off base. He may not be as talented as guys like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, but he's more athletic than Schaub. His arm is at least as good as Schaub's. His mobility in the pocket is better than average.

I don't see the knock on talent. Unless you count height as talent, and even then, it's not like he's getting balls batted down or missing reads.
I won't debate the whole point and I always like to use my opinion as a disclaimer. In the case of case,he doesn't have any special qualities.Size,speed,arm,footwork,mobility,etc. In a debate,one could always throw out brady.Brady is the exception more than the rule. Just like brees and wilson are exceptions when the height discussion is involved.If we were just comparing case to schaub,another guy without special qualities,we could say case is a smaller schaub with better feet. A small schaub with better feet will not win a superbowl. So what's the point?

I think case is up against it on this team. I think they're giving him a good look to decide whether or not they want to keep 3qbs or not. With the emergence of guys like jefferson and a guy like posey coming back quicker than expected,case might be back on practice squad. That's not a bad place to be honestly.They can't try to hide some of their emerging young players. I doubt a team would take keenam and put him on the active roster. Jmo.
Old 08-23-2013   #551
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69728 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I won't debate the whole point and I always like to use my opinion as a disclaimer. In the case of case,he doesn't have any special qualities.Size,speed,arm,footwork,mobility,etc. In a debate,one could always throw out brady.Brady is the exception more than the rule. Just like brees and wilson are exceptions when the height discussion is involved.If we were just comparing case to schaub,another guy without special qualities,we could say case is a smaller schaub with better feet. A small schaub with better feet will not win a superbowl. So what's the point?

I think case is up against it on this team. I think they're giving him a good look to decide whether or not they want to keep 3qbs or not. With the emergence of guys like Jefferson and a guy like Posey coming back quicker than expected,case might be back on practice squad. That's not a bad place to be honestly.They can't try to hide some of their emerging young players. I doubt a team would take keenam and put him on the active roster. Jmo.
Case isn't making the practice squad if released.. have you watched any of the other PS games? Some team will pick him up. Also, you can't compare Case to Schaub just because both players don't have a elite arm (although Keenum has a better arm). Schaub has maxed out his potential, while Case will still be viewed as a player with untapped potential and Case is a way WAY better athlete. I disagree with the "special qualities" knock.. Great pocket awareness, accuracy, and anticipation are also qualities in a QB.

I see us keeping 5 WRs

Andre
Hopkins
Jean
Martin
Posey

As with the OLBers..

I see Jefferson making the team and either a surprise cut to one of our draft picks or a IR stash.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-24-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #552
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

With the way keenum has played, I think there are a few teams that could snag him. I think Yates would get a job somewhere for sure, but I think keenum too would wind up on a roster. If he keeps playing well, it's a wrap.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #553
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 17553 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

For the ones who say Case Keenum can't do it because of the system he played in in college, there's a back-up QB in GB that did particularly well last night, if his WR's could just catch the ball. He was doing well vs. that Seattle Defense.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #554
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
For the ones who say Case Keenum can't do it because of the system he played in in college, there's a back-up QB in GB that did particularly well last night, if his WR's could just catch the ball. He was doing well vs. that Seattle Defense.
I don't think anyone is saying Case can't do it.

Most are saying the cards are stacked against him & he's yet to prove that he can. Live bullets don't start flying 'til Sep '09.

There have been many a player, QB especially, that have played well in college &/or the preseason that faded into obscurity when it got real.
Old 08-24-2013   #555
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Harrell is more unproven than TJ Yates. Not worth bringing up as any kind of example someone who has made it.
Old 08-24-2013   #556
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
lol

Dumbstruck with wonder at the glory of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I didn't even realize I did that.
I'm thinking that if you had tried to come up with something like that, you can find it very hard to do.
Sometimes, things just happen!
Old 08-24-2013   #557
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Harrell is more unproven than TJ Yates. Not worth bringing up as any kind of example someone who has made it.
I don't understand this mindset.
Yates had not proven anything when he was called on to replace Schaub and Leinart.

Brady had not proven anything when he was called on to replace Bledsoe in 2001 en route to a SB.
He was a sixth round draft pick that was 1 of 3 for 6 yards in 2000 as a rookie.

And there are plenty of other examples.
Old 08-24-2013   #558
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

My beef with Yates performance was that it simply wasn't very good.
Honestly, so many folks on here have selective memory about 2011.

He was average to serviceable during the regular season, and horrific
against Indy and the playoffs against Baltimore. I don't get the
logic of pinning the first Bengals playoff win on him when JJ made the
play that broke the game open.

The 2011 Texans could run the ball really well and played much
better defense than the Texans teams of 2012 and today.

Saying that Yates "has to be" the defacto #2 because of his playoff
experience, etc. is senseless to me when he was so average against
Cincy and so aweful against Baltimore.

People can remember the end of 2011 however they want, but the
bitter taste in my mouth from the way that season ended is still
there - in part - because of Yates..

And, please, don't give me this B.S. about being called into service
without a full playbook. "yadda yadda". Yates played in a system
very similar to Gary's at N.C. (for multiple years), and if it was
such a complicated system to learn Keenum would not have been
able to pick it up in one season holding a clipboard. (given his
collegiate experience was in a system 180 degrees out of phase)

Either Gary's approach isn't rocket science, or Keenum is some
type of "playbook savant"

After all, from where I sit, there is almost no distinguishable difference
between Yates and Keenum, and Yates has been doing this a much
longer time.

TJ

Quote:
Yates had not proven anything when he was called on to replace Schaub and Leinart.

Brady had not proven anything when he was called on to replace Bledsoe in 2001 en route to a SB.
He was a sixth round draft pick that was 1 of 3 for 6 yards in 2000 as a rookie.

speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #559
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Brady didn't prove anything when he led a team to the SB that was the underdog in every playoff game including the SB against the Rams? Lol!

His numbers were that of a rookie type of QB around that time. His leadership that season was that of an elite QB especially with his clutch plays he made that was good enough to take the job of one of the best passers in the league. It was no surprise to see the same guy lead his team to two more SB's in the next 3 years. This is as silly as saying Joe Montana and Elway's seasons weren't really any good when they were going to SB's, because neither one of them were putting up crazy numbers really. Not every season any way. Elway's team wasn't built that way at the time, and neither was Brady's team.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #560
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Brady didn't prove anything when he led a team to the SB that was the underdog in every playoff game including the SB against the Rams? Lol!

His numbers were that of a rookie type of QB around that time. His leadership that season was that of an elite QB especially with his clutch plays he made that was good enough to take the job of one of the best passers in the league. It was no surprise to see the same guy lead his team to two more SB's in the next 3 years. This is as silly as saying Joe Montana and Elway's seasons weren't really any good when they were going to SB's, because neither one of them were putting up crazy numbers really. Not every season any way. Elway's team wasn't built that way at the time, and neither was Brady's team.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say Tex.

My point was that Brady was a sixth round draft pick; by the same logic of an UDFA, he was passed of many times over.
It means that in the eyes of the other 31 organizations, he proved little to nothing in college.
It so means that he was not regarded highly at all by the team that drafted him, by that same logic.
He made the team as the fourth QB on the depth chart.
(That might as well be a PS spot, except Belichik started seeing something,
but not enough yet.)
Fans from other team, the vast majority of them at least, most likely don't think anything at all of a fourth string QB.
What had he proved up to that point?
Nothing to the naked eyes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read