Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pre-season 8/25/2013, Game 3 vs Saints + Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

1) Offensive production vs. a questionable Saints defense

2) Pass defense vs Brees

3) Special teams vs Sproles

4) OLB's. It's getting close to real action. This is the last action almost all starters will see. Something needs to shake loose with the OLB's opposite Reed. Mercilus needs to step up or one of the other guys. Then the depth needs to play itself out.

5) I want to see how Swearinger plays after last week's unfortunate play. I don't want to see any hesitancy when going to make contact with ball carriers.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/25/2013, Game 3 vs Saints + Top 5 things you are interested in seein

1) QBs -- I want all of these guys to be on top of their games and competing.

2) OL -- The Saints have a good front. They've gotten 11 sacks so far in 2 preseason games. I want to see how we deal with it.

3) OLB -- I want to see some guys step up. I've got a feeling we're about to get a slew of OLB draft picks suddenly get injured and end up on IR because the UDFAs are outperforming them.

4) WRs -- I just want to see Martin and Jean continue to improve.

5) DBs -- Brees is a monster. Hopefully, we sack Brees so it doesn't become a true test for our DBs but... knowing Brees... this is going to be a good test of our secondary.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/25/2013, Game 3 vs Saints + Top 5 things you are interested in seein

Much of the same.
LG, #3 RB, OLBs, backup CBs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Quessenberry, Jones, Brooks -- Quess all around, Jones & Brooks run blocking

2) JJoe and Brice McCain -- need to see better coverage

3) Can Willie disengage?

4) Mays vs. Sharpton

5) Can Bouye hang against Brees & Co.?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I would imagine the starters will play most of the 1st half. So I'm interested in everything all of them do. It will say a lot about how we are prepared for the season.

In particular I am interested in how the D responds to the Saints offense, which is a good one and a damn fine QB.

I want to see Schaub and the O line perform very well. Any sloppiness on their part is going to result in multiple pissy posts by me. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
5) Can Bouye hang against Brees & Co.?
Are we missing a corner? Serious question because I don't remember hearing about any injuries...And Bouye probably doesn't play against Brees unless there's an injury...

If there isn't an injury...Congratulations Play-offs...You just jinxed us...
Old 08-23-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
2) OL -- The Saints have a good front. They've gotten 11 sacks so far in 2 preseason games. I want to see how we deal with it.
Good info. I did not know that.
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2013   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Same as last week, really

I'd like to see Quessenberry get time with the one's. Re-watched last weeks game again and was even more impressed than originally.

OLBs
Old 08-23-2013   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Special teams 2. LG & RT 3. Mays & Sharpton 4. Jean & Martin 5. A. Smith's replacement
Old 08-23-2013   #10
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 40321 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not around as much anymore - just wanna say good luck and the customary wish for no injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Good info. I did not know that.
We've had really inspired play from Cam Jordan, Akiem Hicks, Tyrunn Walker, and Glenn Foster. Relative unknowns, aside from Jordan. They have looked amazing in camp and in games, generating pressure from just the front 3. How long that lasts and how legitimate re: regular season, who knows. But it's exciting as a Saints fan considering what we witnessed last season.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
I'm not around as much anymore - just wanna say good luck and the customary wish for no injuries.

We've had really inspired play from Cam Jordan, Akiem Hicks, Tyrunn Walker, and Glenn Foster. Relative unknowns, aside from Jordan. They have looked amazing in camp and in games, generating pressure from just the front 3. How long that lasts and how legitimate re: regular season, who knows. But it's exciting as a Saints fan considering what we witnessed last season.
Hicks is a guy that I wanted...Glad to hear he's doing well...
Old 08-23-2013   #12
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 40321 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Hicks is a guy that I wanted...Glad to hear he's doing well...
he's been terrific

he was stout last year, raw as he was.

A couple of Saints beat writers have said that while Jordan is our best defensive player, Hicks has the biggest upside. He really made veterans look foolish last year. He's improved and I'm excited to see how he makes the transition from tackle to end.

Oh, and Jenkins, a DL rookie along with Foster (UDFA), has been giving OL fits, eating up double teams and generating backfield pressure.

The defensive front has me as excited about the Saints DL as I've seen in a while.

A real test this weekend, though.

We'll see. Reasons for optimism, though. And that's a welcome change to the mess last year
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

New Orleans Saints defense's focus for Houston Texans two-fold

The Saints will be focusing on their run defense and their pass rush. They are 2nd in the preseason in total defense and their rookie DE has had 3 sacks already...........although, they did play the ghost of the Raiders last game. The Saints' new 3-4 D is going to probably be a decent challenge for Schaub in particular.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Expect more pressure on Schaub.

Quote:

Nothing he won't do

[Rob] Ryan's current and former players, his coaching colleagues and scouting analysts from around the league all are in agreement that his scheme's most recognizable tendency is that he doesn't have a recognizable tendency.

There's no simple formula he has relied on throughout his 16 years in the NFL and 11 years in the college ranks.

"I think first of all, it's very multiple," Saints safety Jim Leonhard said. "It's not a system where it's, 'This is who we are, this is all we do,' like a Tampa 2 kind of system. He's very flexible."

"A lot of different variations," Saints guard Ben Grubbs said.

Payton said preparing to face Ryan's defenses always required the Saints' offense to spend extra time going over multiple looks in walk-through sessions during the practice week.

"A lot of time and detail in covering how you handle each defensive look," Payton said. "Typically, he will do a good job of trying to take away what he thinks you do well. And (you need to understand) that he's going to pay attention to who is going to get the ball on third down, where you go in the red zone, what type of runs you want to run. And you just need to self-scout and make sure there are no heavy tendencies."

We've already seen that multiplicity from Ryan's defense throughout this summer.

He often uses four safeties on the field at once in his nickel and dime packages -- sometimes removing the defensive tackle and an inside linebacker, but other times replacing an end or outside linebacker.

It's not uncommon to see just one lineman on the field, with his hand on the ground, or none at all.

A stat by the Football Outsiders scouting service illustrates Ryan's elusive tendencies.

Although he's known as an aggressive, attacking blitzer (his Browns led the NFL in rushing five players or more in 2010), Ryan's defenses have also ranked first or second in the NFL in sending only three rushers or less at the quarterback in each of the past three years.

"He'll rush three and drop eight a lot," Fujita said. "But the way that you're rushing, three might even look like a blitz."

"Ryan might have the widest array of schematic wrinkles in all of football," said Andy Benoit, who analyzes the NFL for the Football Outsiders scouting service and Sports Illustrated, among other outlets. "Really there's nothing he won't do."
Old 08-24-2013   #15
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Our secondary needs to step up. I've been underwhelmed with JJo and Manning this year
2) Right side of the offensive line
3) OLB play needs to step up with Antonio out.
4) Differentiation in the RB play. So far I don't see much difference between Tate and the rest. This is a team that plays 3 RBs through the season, but maybe not in the same game. Foster and Tate are on the team, so who's going to be the clear #3
5) A kick return that goes beyond the 20. Have we had one yet?
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

OLB. Only area I have a HUGE concern.

This unit will either make or break this year.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #17
CeeQue
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respected

1. No injuries
2. NO injuries
3. no INJURIES
4. no injuries
5. NO INJURIES
CeeQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #18
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeQue View Post
1. No injuries
2. NO injuries
3. no INJURIES
4. no injuries
5. NO INJURIES
What are you trying to say?
Old 08-24-2013   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I would imagine the starters will play most of the 1st half. So I'm interested in everything all of them do. It will say a lot about how we are prepared for the season.

In particular I am interested in how the D responds to the Saints offense, which is a good one and a damn fine QB.

I want to see Schaub and the O line perform very well. Any sloppiness on their part is going to result in multiple pissy posts by me. LOL
+1. You rang the bell with that one, especially Schaub.
Old 08-24-2013   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
+1. You rang the bell with that one, especially Schaub.
Expect lots of company.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read