Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2005   #81
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
I just wish McNair would tie Casserly to Dom Capers and throw them under the same bus. Capers is done regardless, but he doesn't deserve nearly the blame that Casserly does. Sure the team stinks, but look at what the GM has given Capers to work with.
You are right on that one. Of course some will just argue that Casserly (who also supposedly built those great Skins teams) was just doing what Capers was telling him.
Old 12-08-2005   #82
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Casserly is ultimately responsible for all of our personnel decisions, and so he does have a number of bad decisions to his resume during his time with the Texans. On the other hand, as ATX mentioned, there's no telling how much input Capers and his staff had on any number of those pick ups. I think Casserly recently portrayed his job as more of someone who gets what the coaches want. In that light, it's no longer that "Capers did the most with what he was given", it's "Capers did very little with what he asked for". Like I said, I won't shed a tear if Casserly bites the dust, but I also won't be out for blood if we let another coach have a try at better utilizing the talent that we already have.

Players like Steve Foley and Marlon McCree took up space on our bench during most of their time here, but when they were plugged into a different system they suddenly became solid players. It's not Casserly's fault for letting them go if they showed no reason to keep them while they were here. Who's job is it to make the most out of his roster? How many Steve Foley's are sitting on our bench right now? Derick Armstrong anyone?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #83
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
You both misunderstand my comparison.
Actually, if I'd noticed it was you posting I probably would have said nothing. I've read and agreed with many of your posts previously.

That said, I live in terror that McNair will keep Casserly, or Capers (there are rumors), or both. I've been a fan of Houston pro footbal since CHarlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar, and the rest of those guys way back in the day. The day-before-the-day, I guess. SO I can't really bear to think we're going to have more of the same next year.

I also think Carr is a total loss farm, which I understand is (a) a minority opinion, and (b) not an opinion well rearded hereabouts. Nonetheless, he looks, moves, acts, plays, reacts so little like a genuinely good QB that I cannot warm to him at all. He does not look like a "player." But that's me. If they get rid of Casserly and Capers I figure Carr will take care of himself.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #84
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
I think Casserly recently portrayed his job as more of someone who gets what the coaches want. In that light, it's no longer that "Capers did the most with what he was given", it's "Capers did very little with what he asked for".
To me, this is what does not make sense about Casserly. On one hand, the media and some fans continue to proclaim him to be a draft genius, a man who built Super Bowl teams. Yet, the excuse for his less than stellar record here with the Texans is that he is just doing what Capers told him. Would a truly great GM merely follow the direction of a coach that had only two prior winning seasons? A top-notch GM would not have risked an entire draft (Babin) solely based on the recommendation of a coach when there were so many other problems that needed to be addressed. I guess we need to pray that Casserly will be smart enough to replace Capers with a coach that will also do a better job of running the draft for him. It seems like Casserly is great about taking credit for things when things are going great, like the Skins winning Super Bowls. However, he will just as quickly deflect any responsibility when things are not going well. I guess because he comes across as such a know-it-all that people are willing to belive the hype and ignore his failings.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read