Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2013   #81
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Ed will be there week one. I've heard too many people that know him say they think he'll be there week one so that'll be my guess.
Me too.

Billick was on MAD Radio yesterday and definitively, without hesitation said Reed will be there week 1 (unless there is something he doesn't know).

Said Reed's a veteran who takes care of his body, etc, etc; essentially, Reed is sitting out all of the unnecessary (for him) training camp/preseason stuff to get healthy to play the season.
Old 08-23-2013   #82
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Who gives a ****. We didnt sign Ed Reed to help us beat Rivers and Locker. We got Ed Reed to help us beat Brady and Manning. We need him to play the last 8 games, not the first 8. And even if he is done for his career worst case scenario is that he gets his 6 million this year and is on his merry way.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Said Reed's a veteran who takes care of his body, etc, etc; essentially, Reed is sitting out all of the unnecessary (for him) training camp/preseason stuff to get healthy to play the season.
I believe this is what accomplished vets do, so I'm not too worried about it.

At the same time, this is the same thing I said about Ahman Green. His body's a temple, yadda, yadda, yadda. What I did not expect was for his game performance to have dropped so much. I'm not expecting Ed Reed to be All-Pro form, but if he turns out to be a liability..... damn.
Old 08-23-2013   #84
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If Ed Reed were with the team, joking around on the sidelines, and participating in all ways that don't involve hitting, I might be inclined to agree with some of you. As it is, he's off visiting docs and showing no real signs of improvement. Hell, we got a statement the other day that he might be "just ahead of schedule", but there was no schedule established.

You people believe that this is Ed being Ed all you want. Father Time waits for no man. Reed's old, he's seriously injured, and old bodies don't heal like young bodies. It was a bad signing. Would rather have paid Glover Quin the same damn money and be sitting with Manning and Quin as starters at safety right now than be thinking about Keo or Pleasant as starters.
Old 08-23-2013   #85
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I will be surprised if he ever plays a game for us.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #86
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

What a mess this is.

For some reason, I just can't shake the feeling that this
guy tried to pull a fast one and knowingly hid a serious
injury..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #87
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no way I'd have paid glover instead of picking up reed.

I'd rather have Swearinger learning whatever he can from Ed and Ed will play.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #88
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
What a mess this is.

For some reason, I just can't shake the feeling that this
guy tried to pull a fast one and knowingly hid a serious
injury..

TJ
If he did pull a fast one it's the Texans that should have known...
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #89
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. I liked Glover. Seemed like a solid player back there, but not a game changer. I firmly believe that Swearinger can come up and play the run as good or better than Glover right now. Not to mention that Glover would be on the books for another 4 years while we are trying to find money for Cushing and Watt while Reed can be wiped from the books.
Old 08-23-2013   #90
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

If you want to hire Ed Reed as a coach, do it. Hiring him as a player was a bad move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Agreed. I liked Glover. Seemed like a solid player back there, but not a game changer. I firmly believe that Swearinger can come up and play the run as good or better than Glover right now. Not to mention that Glover would be on the books for another 4 years while we are trying to find money for Cushing and Watt while Reed can be wiped from the books.
You keep the best players. At this stage of their respective careers, Quin is better than Reed. He was marginally better than him last year and he's way better than an injured Ed Reed that never suits up. Swapping Quin for Reed did not make the football team better. I'm a fan of Swearinger, wanted him on draft day, but Manning, Quin, and Swearinger looks a helluva lot better to me than Manning, Keo, and Swearinger, with Reed sitting on IR.

I dunno, I guess I'm crazy like that.
Old 08-23-2013   #91
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If Ed Reed were with the team, joking around on the sidelines, and participating in all ways that don't involve hitting, I might be inclined to agree with some of you. As it is, he's off visiting docs and showing no real signs of improvement.
Hmm. I certainly saw him at training camp and he came out of the tunnel w/ Andre against the Fins. "Off visiting docs" isn't always a bad thing. I don't expect him week one and won't be worried until after week 4.
Old 08-23-2013   #92
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
If you want to hire Ed Reed as a coach, do it. Hiring him as a player was a bad move.

You keep the best players. At this stage of their respective careers, Quin is better than Reed. He was marginally better than him last year and he's way better than an injured Ed Reed that never suits up. Swapping Quin for Reed did not make the football team better. I'm a fan of Swearinger, wanted him on draft day, but Manning, Quin, and Swearinger looks a helluva lot better to me than Manning, Keo, and Swearinger, with Reed sitting on IR.

Yeah you and your crazy ideas about keeping the best players! You loco!

What are your thoghts on keeping money available for next year and Cushing/Watt signings? Reed can be off the books after this year. Quin would be on for another 4 years at a vets 2nd contract price.
Old 08-23-2013   #93
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hiring him as a player was a bad move.

It was a great move. One of the best moves we made this off-season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #94
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Ed Reed were with the team, joking around on the sidelines, and participating in all ways that don't involve hitting, I might be inclined to agree with some of you. As it is, he's off visiting docs and showing no real signs of improvement. Hell, we got a statement the other day that he might be "just ahead of schedule", but there was no schedule established.
What upsets me more than anything, is that wherever he is, I bet he's wearing purple.

Quote:
You people believe that this is Ed being Ed all you want. Father Time waits for no man. Reed's old, he's seriously injured, and old bodies don't heal like young bodies. It was a bad signing. Would rather have paid Glover Quin the same damn money and be sitting with Manning and Quin as starters at safety right now than be thinking about Keo or Pleasant as starters.
6 in one hand.....

If we didn't make this move, we wouldn't have picked up Dj Swearinger & I like Reed, Manning, Swearinger, Keo, better than I like Manning, Quin, Keo, Pleasant on game day.
Old 08-23-2013   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Yeah, if you truly believe that, you're crazy.

If it turns out that Reed doesn't play for us, then yeah, the FO should have listened to you. But where we are right now, the back half is better off the way it is now.

& I love Quin. He'll most likely be voted to the pro bowl this year, imo. But he's a different player. Quin, Manning, & Swearinger are all the same player, we needed to get away from that & add a player like Reed.
Old 08-23-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yeah you and your crazy ideas about keeping the best players! You loco!

What are your thoghts on keeping money available for next year and Cushing/Watt signings? Reed can be off the books after this year. Quin would be on for another 4 years at a vets 2nd contract price.
This is silly. Has nothing to do with nothing. If they wanted to keep Quin, they could have & sign Cushing & sign Watt. If they want to, they'll find a way, they always do.
Old 08-23-2013   #97
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is silly. Has nothing to do with nothing. If they wanted to keep Quin, they could have & sign Cushing & sign Watt. If they want to, they'll find a way, they always do.
My bad. I forgot the Texans have unlimited cap money.
Old 08-23-2013   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
My bad. I forgot the Texans have unlimited cap money.
They've got someone who knows how to manage the cap.
Old 08-23-2013   #99
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who decided to let Quinn walk...
Old 08-23-2013   #100
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
You just got done telling me that the Texans could sign Quin, Watt and Cushing if they wanted to. Then that they have someone who knows how to manage the cap when sometimes managing the cap means not signing a Glover Quin for 5 years 23 million.

I am not saying they HAD to pass on Quin to get Cushing and Watt, but that it might be a good idea when you are going after guys that are going to command alot of money. But I guess that is "silly" to you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read