Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2013   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Historical Kubiak Rosters

Lots of talk from fans and media regarding final roster numbers at different positions.

Sometimes I hear some numbers of players at different positions where I know that's not what the Texans would do.

So, I put together a chart of all the Kubiak Week 1 rosters since he has been with the Texans. And then discussed some of the special challenges of this year in the context of previous years.

Hard choices: A historical look at Houston Texans roster numbers

Hope you enjoy the post. I like posts where I see some new things as I put it together, though I must confess it was non-fun looking at some of the old rosters.
Old 08-20-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Historical Kubiak Rosters

A great resource, Steph, especially these cut-down dates:

Quote:
Here are the key dates for roster cuts in 2013:

August 27th, by 4:00 pm Eastern–All teams must reduce roster numbers to 75 active players.

August 31st, by 6:00 pm Eastern–All teams must reduce roster numbers to 53 active/inactive on list. This is the date where teams also have to designate if a player is going to be placed on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness lists.

September 1 by 12:00pm Eastern–Claiming period for players put on waivers expires. At this point, teams can start establishing their eight man practice squads.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read. Enjoyed it a great deal.
Old 08-20-2013   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad y'all enjoyed it. Thanks!

I like to write things that aren't already written elsewhere. Because I'd rather not waste anyone's time, including my own.
Old 08-20-2013   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Great read. Stuff I'd always intended to go back and check but never got around to.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #6
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Steph, enjoyed it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #7
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article TC.

Kubiak has carried 3 qb's the last four seasons. Given the good performances, so far, by T.J. and Case, I think there is virtually no chance that he tries to only carry two and try to sneak Case onto the practice squad.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2013   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting read.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

You put a lot of work into that TC and came out with a good article.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Good article TC.

Kubiak has carried 3 qb's the last four seasons. Given the good performances, so far, by T.J. and Case, I think there is virtually no chance that he tries to only carry two and try to sneak Case onto the practice squad.
No chance?

They carried 2 roster QBs for most of last year after starting with 3.

If injuries are bad enough, or they are carrying injured players at the beginning of the season who aren't so injured for PUP, but maybe can contribute week 3ish or something, they may little choice.

Texans need a injury clean game for the next two weeks because they are already injured in ways that make roster choices hard.

3rd QB is a luxury. If you think that there's a guy who is a better pro-prospect at a position of need, maybe you go that way instead.

There are few no doubter decisions at the end of the roster. Here's the presser from last year after the Team Luncheon. This was Kubiak talking about roster decisions prior to the last preseason game. Probably the most I remember him talking on the subject:

(on when he and Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Rick Smith will continue to evaluate the roster numbers) “That’s a process all the time. That’s something I’ve sat up there the last couple nights looking at myself as I try to sit there and set the roster. So you have some preconceived notions going into the game of what you’re thinking and then what you want to go find out. But when will we do it? We’ll walk in Friday morning that’s the first thing we’ll do. We’ll get together at seven o’clock, talk about the game, talk about which direction we’re heading. We’ll probably as always four or five very difficult decisions away. So we may make 20 of them right away, and then sit there and battle over the other four with the staff and talk about our situations and what could possibly be coming up. That’s how we’ll go about it.”

(on possibly keeping four running backs) “I think it’s a thought process. Both of those guys (Justin) Forsett and (Jonathan) Grimes have played well for us and they’ve both played well on special teams. Grimes has been playing a lot of special teams throughout the course of camp. Forsett did last week and showed up in New Orleans. They’re two good football players so it’s a nice problem to have.”

(on if he will play QB T.J. Yates Thursday) “I will not. John Beck will start the game. He’ll play the first half. Case (Keenum) will play the second half.”

(on the fullback position) “Moran (Norris) is going to play in this game the whole game. It’s a big game for him because we’re trying to make a decision. Obviously James (Casey) is our starter and we’re very pleased with how far James has come as a player. He’s had an excellent preseason. We’re trying to make a decision on Moran (Norris), if we think that he can help us. He’s going to get that opportunity Thursday so we’ll see how he plays. He’s played a lot in this league. It’s been a little bit of a catch up from what we do so to speak. So I hope to find out some more on Thursday.”

(on if the number of tight ends affects the fullback decision) “Yeah, it’s a big effect. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’m going to say last year tight ends and running backs together were maybe a combined nine. Right now, we might be at six or seven when you look at some of the things that went on. So that is a big question mark moving forward. We like our two young tight ends also. They’re both doing some good things in camp so where do we go from that standpoint. But obviously it’s a position that I think we’ll continue to look at.”

(on WR Trindon Holliday and possibly keeping six wide receivrs) “Yeah that would be the most we’ve ever kept. But at the same time, you’re light at tight end, you’re light at running back, you’re going to go light someplace else. So do you keep three quarterbacks? Those are all those very difficult questions. I kind of have my mindset right now a certain direction, but that can obviously change with Thursday night what happens then and how we move forward.”

(on if he might keep just two quarterbacks) “There’s always a chance because you don’t know what’s going on with your team, other positions, other problems. So it’s important that even though you’re not playing your ones in this game, it’s still important that you get out healthy because you lose some key backup players, you could have some new problems on your hands. So we’ll see.”
Old 08-21-2013   #11
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45032 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Given all of the hype surrounding the Texans backup QB's I suspect
Gary keeps all 3 or uses one of the two backups as trade bait
if he decides to go with only 2.

I say this because it would make very little sense to simply cut one
(or risk practice squad) when QB and backup QB are such positions
of demand. (and also the hardest to acquire when you need one)

Last year it was easy for Gary to make the decision. If Schaub
went down he had Yates on the roster, Keenum on the PS, and
Beck was still available if needed.

This year, if one of the backups are just allowed to walk, I suspect
they won't be there in an emergency.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
No chance?

They carried 2 roster QBs for most of last year after starting with 3.

If injuries are bad enough, or they are carrying injured players at the beginning of the season who aren't so injured for PUP, but maybe can contribute week 3ish or something, they may little choice.

Texans need a injury clean game for the next two weeks because they are already injured in ways that make roster choices hard.

3rd QB is a luxury. If you think that there's a guy who is a better pro-prospect at a position of need, maybe you go that way instead.

There are few no doubter decisions at the end of the roster. Here's the presser from last year after the Team Luncheon. This was Kubiak talking about roster decisions prior to the last preseason game. Probably the most I remember him talking on the subject:

(on when he and Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Rick Smith will continue to evaluate the roster numbers) “That’s a process all the time. That’s something I’ve sat up there the last couple nights looking at myself as I try to sit there and set the roster. So you have some preconceived notions going into the game of what you’re thinking and then what you want to go find out. But when will we do it? We’ll walk in Friday morning that’s the first thing we’ll do. We’ll get together at seven o’clock, talk about the game, talk about which direction we’re heading. We’ll probably as always four or five very difficult decisions away. So we may make 20 of them right away, and then sit there and battle over the other four with the staff and talk about our situations and what could possibly be coming up. That’s how we’ll go about it.”

(on possibly keeping four running backs) “I think it’s a thought process. Both of those guys (Justin) Forsett and (Jonathan) Grimes have played well for us and they’ve both played well on special teams. Grimes has been playing a lot of special teams throughout the course of camp. Forsett did last week and showed up in New Orleans. They’re two good football players so it’s a nice problem to have.”

(on if he will play QB T.J. Yates Thursday) “I will not. John Beck will start the game. He’ll play the first half. Case (Keenum) will play the second half.”

(on the fullback position) “Moran (Norris) is going to play in this game the whole game. It’s a big game for him because we’re trying to make a decision. Obviously James (Casey) is our starter and we’re very pleased with how far James has come as a player. He’s had an excellent preseason. We’re trying to make a decision on Moran (Norris), if we think that he can help us. He’s going to get that opportunity Thursday so we’ll see how he plays. He’s played a lot in this league. It’s been a little bit of a catch up from what we do so to speak. So I hope to find out some more on Thursday.”

(on if the number of tight ends affects the fullback decision) “Yeah, it’s a big effect. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’m going to say last year tight ends and running backs together were maybe a combined nine. Right now, we might be at six or seven when you look at some of the things that went on. So that is a big question mark moving forward. We like our two young tight ends also. They’re both doing some good things in camp so where do we go from that standpoint. But obviously it’s a position that I think we’ll continue to look at.”

(on WR Trindon Holliday and possibly keeping six wide receivrs) “Yeah that would be the most we’ve ever kept. But at the same time, you’re light at tight end, you’re light at running back, you’re going to go light someplace else. So do you keep three quarterbacks? Those are all those very difficult questions. I kind of have my mindset right now a certain direction, but that can obviously change with Thursday night what happens then and how we move forward.”

(on if he might keep just two quarterbacks) “There’s always a chance because you don’t know what’s going on with your team, other positions, other problems. So it’s important that even though you’re not playing your ones in this game, it’s still important that you get out healthy because you lose some key backup players, you could have some new problems on your hands. So we’ll see.”
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #12
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
No chance?

I appreciate the obvious effort in your response. Sorry, I can't respond in kind, I'm at work, and I just don't post much. I stand by my opinion, but of course I could be wrong.

I disagree that 3rd QB is a luxury. I think it is the most important position on the team. While you don't rotate QB's, you could say 6 CB's or 3 DT's or 4 DE/s or 6 WR's are a luxury. Of course, I know that special teams play factor into it, also.

I think this year, with T.J. having limited experience and Chase having none, it is even more important to keep both. I think they would keep 3 even if they acquire a veteran QB.

Last point, (don't think this is an opinion), Kubiak has been masterful at misdirection in the past. In arguing their points, people will either quote him to support their view, or throw out the term "coachspeak"to marginalize what he has said that does not support their view. The trick is figuring out what is coachspeak and what is not. It is easy to identify after the fact.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

They'll keep three just from a value standpoint. I don't see a market for Yates at this point after a quick browse through of NFL teams. Not for a starter role at least.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #14
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 14806 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

If by some chance Keenum is waived, it will be the hardest cut of all of the people the Texans have waived. I will be so upset if Keenum is claimed by another team. The thought is sickening. If he ends up on the practice squad then all is not lost, but it still sucks.

Hoping they find a way to roster all 3 without losing someone really good in other areas.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They'll keep three just from a value standpoint. I don't see a market for Yates at this point after a quick browse through of NFL teams. Not for a starter role at least.
I agree the Texans will keep all 3 QB's on the roster. Can you imagine Yates trade value if another team loses their starting QB to injury early in the season. A desperate team might be convinced to slightly overpay for an in season QB. Sure would be nice.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read