Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2013   #61
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster's Week 1 availability in doubt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
True. People act like they are just finding out Foster can be a douche.
Have you heard the interview or anything regarding his demeanor yesterday?

My guess would be no based on your comments.

Several media people that have dealt with foster more than anyone here were taken back by his behavior. So while you may think he is known to be "douchey", he was obviously a bit more so yesterday.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #62
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's what he said last year.
Maybe he's on yet another new diet?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #63
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:

Several media people that have dealt with foster more than anyone here were taken back by his behavior. So while you may think he is known to be "douchey", he was obviously a bit more so yesterday.
He came out of college a douche, it was so bad he got sent to the practice squad to get his )(*@ straight. And you have to admit to get completely dumped out of the draft, and to the PS cause of your attitude it has to be pretty bad.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #64
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the interview, and while it was a little weird I'm not worried. It was more of a guy realizing that he only has so many more years in him to me. I have no doubt Arian will go as hard as he can for as long as he can within reason. I don't think he wants to be another Earl Campbell and for good reason.

He's made comments before that players are people and I think thats why he sounded a little off putting. Everyone's worried about if he can play and not how he's feeling is probably what was in his head. He's just a different kind of cat.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #65
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

He's always had a broader perspective. See his comments on fantasy football, where he basically said he dislikes it in the way it objectifies the players.

I don't think any of this is "new." I think he's being contrarian and his patience is wearing thin.
Old 08-22-2013   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not even worried about him thinking people view him as a tool. He's right to some degree. But fans do get attached to players they like based on more than just what they do on field. The media is the medium you use to talk to your fans. So while it might be hard to think of it that way, iiwii.

But that's not what caught my attention. My ears perked up when he talked about how hard the game was and that it was tiring of something or other. Football is t his main focus. Which is fine. You can still play well. But it still makes you more attentive when you have players talking like that.
Old 08-22-2013   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the kind of Hernandez quirk that the scouting department should really pay attention to.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm worried about Arian longterm. I don't know if his heart is still in the game. He was supposedly pretty nasty with the press yesterday and then I heard some snippets and he's sounding like an old retired player. Said he loved the game but it's tiring or something like that.

That's something I'm going to be watching for. Tate might be even more important than we think this year.

Your body being exposed to repeated trauma and injuries, with the need for constant rehab can also eventually wear down and demoralize the best of athletes. As I said before, Arian’s recent back problem is far from simple back spasms. The series of backs injections described are epidural injections, similar to the ones that Cody required for his disc problems last year.

Here are the indications for epidural injections to the back..........pick your poison.:

Spinal stenosis: A narrowing of the spinal canal and nerve root canal can cause back and leg pain, especially when walking.

Spondylolysis: A weakness or fracture between the upper and lower facets of a vertebra. If the vertebra slips forward (spondylolisthesis), it can compress the nerve roots causing pain.

Herniated disc: The gel-like material within the disc can bulge or rupture through a weak area in the surrounding wall (annulus). Irritation, pain, and swelling occur when this material squeezes out and comes in contact with a spinal nerve.

Degenerative disc: A breakdown or aging of the intervertebral disc causing collapse of the disc space, tears in the annulus, and growth of bone spurs.

Sciatica: Pain that courses along the sciatic nerve in the buttocks and down the legs. It is usually caused by compression of the 5th lumbar or 1st sacral spinal nerve.

The first one is unlikely to have first given him problems this late into his career. He would likely not be playing football now.

The second one essentially creates the same situation as a disc problem.

All others are essentially also disc related.

Epidural injections may relieve the pain, but are seldom other than a temporizing measure.

I continue to be concerned in that this back problem is very likely compensatory to his previous calf tear injury (even if the calf no longer bothers him) due to impaired core mechanics. Then an exaggerated change in primary core mechanics seen in all back injuries, creates awkward compensatory postural changes that then in turn increase the risks of incurring lower limb injuries, such as hamstring and calf tears. A vicious circle of falling dominoes can be and many times is generated.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #69
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

All the media carping about Arian's attitude is a bunch of hot air. Texans Chick had no issue with the interview. Foster doesn't read from the same-old-same-old yada, yada sports quotes list that is regurgitated around the league every day ad nauseum. Media types all fussy because they didn't get their textbook quotes to plug in to standard sports article template #14 -- RB returning from injury.

Foster has in the past given some of the most interesting and unusual interviews I've heard from a football player. He's not going to be "on" every time.

Maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe he didn't get any sleep because of his son. He thinks for himself and knows he's a commodity with a short shelf life. Some days, I guess he's not willing to follow the script. I couldn't care less. Dude has been a baller and should continue same. That's all I need from Arian. ( Although I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with him about all things not football some day.) I just hope he can get/stay healthy.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #70
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've interviewed Foster since he was a rookie.

He is never an easy interview. Because you can't just ask the same old questions and get the same boring predictable soundbite answers.

In my dealings with him, he's been fair/fine. He's a hard radio interview because he can leave you hanging. In a interview for print, you have to keep asking questions until you find something that he feels good about talking about.

He doesn't like being treated like a injury commodity. Or participating in the mythology of the sport. He doesn't care for people speculating about all sorts of stuff. Or being treated like an object.

I thought the transcript was entertaining. Did he give the detailed and type of answers the media wanted? No. But he's nobody's puppet boy.

He basically said, "Hey, I'm not giving you details of my injuries, I'm fine, I don't care much for preseason, I'm fine for the opener, it's no big thing. Everybody be cool"

And media wasn't listening to any of that. They were all, "Tell us all the details, share all your angst/frustration about missing training camp."

It's not like he's Brian Cushing or DeVier Posey coming off of serious injuries. He didn't miss 2012 games. He missed training camp reps. He was working entire time on side field.

I like him being honest and answering things in non-cliches. I like when players can be themselves and not the robot answering questions.

Media had two issues with the interview:

1. They had to wait 3 hours. Texans PR said that he was going through lifting/treatment, updated media.

2. He didn't give effusive answers. Which he tends not to about injuries. Which is smart.

Near end of the interview, he told someone, that's a "pretty bad question, man."

I've had players/coaches not like my questions and verbalize that, but it is no butthurt big deal. Just how it is when you ask enough questions...the answerer won't like all of them.
Old 08-22-2013   #71
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Near end of the interview, he told someone, that's a "pretty bad question, man."

What was the question?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #72
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be way less gracious with media if I had to deal with them regularly.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #73
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Quote:

What was the question?
The full exchange is not in the official transcripts but you can find the audio in the butthurty 610 article about the interview.

Basically, he was asked about his mental frustration with his injuries and doing rehab.

This was after he already talked about how the preseason doesn't matter/and that he is doing just fine.

Certainly, the exchange could be handled more politely. I think he took issue with the assumption that this was something that should have really frustrated him.
Old 08-22-2013   #74
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:

What was the question?
"Should I draft you in my FF league?"
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #75
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I would be way less gracious with media if I had to deal with them regularly.
I personally enjoy athlete interviews that are unconventional, not just cliche.

And with Kubiak, I like to challenge myself to ask a question where I have no idea what his answer will be involving something that fans would be interested in. That is VERY hard to do.
Old 08-22-2013   #76
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

More and more NFL players are taking this stance. The grueling work, the injuries, the hard road back from injuries.............all I'm sure play their role.

Arian Foster doesn’t want his children playing football

Posted on August 22, 2013 at 9:15 am

Quote:
Arian Foster was back on the field Wednesday practicing with his Texans teammates for the first time since late May.

Initially sidelined by a calf strain during OTAs, the star running back later developed a back issue that kept him out of training camp and the team’s first two preseason games.

Foster, who is unlikely to play in Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints at Reliant Stadium, declined to go into details about his back injury when he met with reporters after practice. The fifth-year man out of Tennessee, however, did acknowledge that he doesn’t want his children to experience the pains of playing football and doesn’t intend to let them participate in the game.

“I love the game and everything, but this hurts, man,” Foster said. “It’s a lot of work, man. Let Daddy put in the work so you can go study art or something.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #77
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm worried about Arian longterm. I don't know if his heart is still in the game. He was supposedly pretty nasty with the press yesterday and then I heard some snippets and he's sounding like an old retired player. Said he loved the game but it's tiring or something like that.

That's something I'm going to be watching for. Tate might be even more important than we think this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
He got payed now he dont care, sounds about right. Maybe thats why he looked kind of blah last season and not like the hungry undrafted player anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. His heart just doesn't seem into it. He just had a newborn son and already had a daughter. Maybe he realized that the game of football will keep him away from his family most of the time. He certainly seems more intrigued by the entertainment industry in my book. He might not want this career any more due to the physical and mental grind it takes on the players. Only time will tell but he sure does look like he lost interest already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
True. People act like they are just finding out Foster can be a douche.
Man you guys are quick to turn on our guy! Our O-line was crap last year and Arian turned goat piss into gasoline. Perhaps injuries and the constant "when are ya gonna be healthy? WHEN WHEN WHEN???" is draining him and he's probably just ready to play some real football.

Arian is going to have a career year, mark it.
Old 08-22-2013   #78
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Man you guys are quick to turn on our guy! Our O-line was crap last year and Arian turned goat piss into gasoline. Perhaps injuries and the constant "when are ya gonna be healthy? WHEN WHEN WHEN???" is draining him and he's probably just ready to play some real football.

Arian is going to have a career year, mark it.
It's mountains out of molehills.
Old 08-22-2013   #79
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
rah, rah sis boom bah
Sorry...

Couldn't hear over your Pom poms..

But seriously, I haven't turned against anyone. I voiced a concern.
Old 08-22-2013   #80
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What was the question?
I think they asked him about being frustrated dealing with his injuries. Really a harmless question.

But really, I don't care about his attitude towards media. I'm concerned with how he sounded when he said I love the game "BUT"...

It's obvious that Arian isn't consumed with football. Which is fine. As a person I respect that because I can relate to that on a first hand level. As a fan I'm worried that our star RB may not have the same hunger and dedication like a Watt or a Dre or even a Schaub. What that equates too if true, I don't know.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read