Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-21-2013   #41
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dustin Keller injury... wow

Jon Bostic reportedly fined $21,000 for hit against Chargers; LINK

Quote:
...Bostic was fined $21,000 for a hit against the Chargers in last week’s preseason game.

Briggs compared Bostic’s hit to the one that knocked Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller out for the season and, as many others have done with similar hits, wondered why the former is illegal while the latter is legal. Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network confirmed Briggs’ report and adds that Bostic was fined for lowering his head while hitting a defenseless receiver.
VIDEO LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #42
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL calling it "lowering his head against a defensless receiver", not the new "leading with the helmet rule"...I call it something different. Willie took two steps in Bostics direction after catching the ball. NFL will now require all defensive players to behead themselves and hold it under their arms so that they will lead with their shoulder pads.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #43
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a NASTY hit. That guy's going to accidentally hit somebody in the head (eventually), and they are not going to wake up while at the same address.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #44
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I was thinking Crown (of the helmet) ON the jewels.
Had a guy I played with in high school that was Swearingered directly in the jewels (non-intentional when he coming down from a catch). Basically went to the hospital for a week-10 days and did not walk correctly 1 month or so. did eventually play again and apparently no long-term damage to his ability to have a family.

Of course, as "sensitive" teenage dudes, we gave him the name "grape nuts"
Old 08-21-2013   #45
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Bostic hit was fined?!

Lmao!!!!hahaaaahhaaa.....bwahhhaaahaaaa...

NFL called the play spectacular at first. Then fined him later.

Lmao!!!!!

Too many ridiculous fines and flags these days. I will not hesitate to stop watching when it becomes unwatchable.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #46
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Bostic hit was fined?!

Lmao!!!!hahaaaahhaaa.....bwahhhaaahaaaa...

NFL called the play spectacular at first. Then fined him later.

Lmao!!!!!

Too many ridiculous fines and flags these days. I will not hesitate to stop watching when it becomes unwatchable.
Brandon Harris was also just fined $21k for his shot on that receiver. Swearinger may be a rookie but he had an extra $21k in pocket today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously though...that bostic find saddens me. I had forgot about the Watt fine last year and the one his rookie year against the colts. This stuff is starting to put a damper on my excitement for the season.
Old 08-21-2013   #48
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bostic hit was fined?!
I thought same until it was slowed down...

I can see their point but I don't support the fine/trend.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I thought same until it was slowed down...

I can see their point but I don't support the fine/trend.
I remembered the hit & thought they're out of their minds.

then I saw a blown up photo from the front side of the receiver where it looked like Bostic put his helmet into the receiver's chest & I was like.... "eh.. I see their point."

Now after watching your slow mo... looks like he was trying to get his head down, away from the receiver's helmet & most of the impact was on his shoulder, not his helmet.

I honestly don't know what to make of the whole thing
Old 08-21-2013   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

I realize everyone will have their opinions on all this stuff, and that's fine. I'm not going to argue about what hits I think should and shouldn't be allowed anymore. I just find it comically sad at this point. So, whatever...
Old 08-21-2013   #51
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was thinking about this today when they were having the same conversation on the radio.

I never imagined a point where I would lose interest in the NFL. And while I'm still interested, I am starting to see a point in the not-too-distant future where they have over-regulated the game to the point that it is no longer entertaining to watch. When this happens, I find something better to do on Sundays.

This is not a threat or anything, but just a statement as a consumer that the product that I grew up loving is slowly being diluted to something where my frustration with regulations overshadows my enjoyment.
Old 08-21-2013   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Jon Bostic reportedly fined $21,000 for hit against Chargers; LINK
So ridiculous. The receiver had turned up field with the ball. He wasn't defenseless, he actually saw the tackler and got lower to absorb the hit (a natural reaction). If the helmets ever touched, it was because the receiver went low. I'm pretty sure that whoever is coming up with these fines never played a game of football in their life.

Last edited by Lucky; 08-22-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm pretty sure that whoever is coming up with these fines never played a game of football in their life.
Actually I want to say he was a safety.

Bostic will be paying $5955 not $21k. The CBA sets a max on fines at 25% of one paycheck and Bostic makes $405k.
Old 08-22-2013   #54
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Note to all NFL'ers. Hit like Bostic and lose money. Hit like Swearinger and have some media people say nasty things about you.

I think the choice is easy.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #55
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Bostic lead with the crown is why..Swearinger didn't

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...140505413.html

Competition committee is going to review the Swearinger hit.

For conversational sake

My thought... It was a nasty clean hit. I hate that it happened to Keller or if it happened any player. Swearinger said he was going lower so he wouldn't hit him in the head and avoid the fine..ok I see at..say the NFL says no hitting below the thighs..man,we are talking about a strike zone in baseball area. With two moving targets and they expect a safety to react that fast not knowing if the receiver is going to duck down or not?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #56
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If the NFL ever turns tackling into some arbitrary concept like baseball's strike zone, I think this could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
Old 08-23-2013   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's interesting to read this piece about Pollard, concerning the approaching "NFL strike zone." It appeared in January of this year.

Bernard Pollard talks NFL extinction and death on the football field
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #58
Rey
Hall of Fame

Just take the pads off of the db's, wr's, and qb and go to two hand touch.
Old 08-23-2013   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just take the pads off of the db's, wr's, and qb and go to two hand touch.
TWO hands????? That's gonna get too pushy...........someone's bound to get hurt!!!!

On second thought, with one hand, there're gonna be too many wrist injuries!!

I've got it.........."Finger Pointing Football".......

YOU'RE TACKLED!!!!!!!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #60
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Just as a reminder, Lance Berkman tore his ACL playing flag football in 2004.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read