Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2013   #161
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Replay of Dirty Incognito vs Antonio * Suspended all preseason and season opener

Duplicate post.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-21-2013 at 08:42 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #162
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Replay of Dirty Incognito vs Antonio * Suspended all preseason and season opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

PDS ‏@PatDStat
E.D. told the TRUTH.
Miami fans won't like it and the NFL won't like it (as he's one of their morning show faces) but he told the Truth. If they (the NFL) wants to fix it, they'll start reviewing the films and start addressing the root cause - levying fines/suspensions on the illegal behavior that sends normally fair players over the edge.

The Texans have the film; they should send in video of the behavior that instigated Ninja's angry response as well as the other clips that Playoffs posted showing Richie going after J.J. Watt.

Oh and they should suspend the ref that watched the whole thing unfold and "ate his hanky" instead of throwing a flag. Last I heard, Hands to the Face was a 15 yd penalty.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #163
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
What exactly is the NFL going to fine Incognito for exactly? I know Hands to the Face is illegal in the context of the game, but they don't retroactively fine players for missed penalties, that's a terrible precedent to set. The refs share a little blame for missing these very egregious penalties by Incognito, leading to the rest of the confrontation (of course they didn't penalize Smith for going all Ninja on the helmet swing either, so those guys are bozos all round). The NFL should definitely have had a close eye on Incognito for his reputation but as far as fines/suspensions for Incognito for this incident I just don't think the stuff he did warrant that punishment.
Isn't this exactly what is happening to Smith?

I don't mind retroactive penalties, but come on, make it CONSISTANT, hurt them all!
Old 08-21-2013   #164
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Eric Davis is my new hero!
Old 08-21-2013   #165
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans' brass really got to be disappointed and pizzed-off with their investment
in Smith, especially now when they are making a big-run at the big prize.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #166
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Texans' brass really got to be disappointed and pizzed-off with their investment
in Smith, especially now when they are making a big-run at the big prize.
Seriously doubt that. Smith has been excellent the last two years.
Old 08-21-2013   #167
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
It's really hard to defend Ninja when he's so wrong and it's on film...even when he's so right. The homer in me wants to say the regular season game suspension was unwarranted but it probably is.

Caught between a rock and a hard place.
That's where I'm at minus one thing...where is Incognito's punsihment?

Quote:
Texans' brass really got to be disappointed and pizzed-off with their investment in Smith, especially now when they are making a big-run at the big prize.
?? He's in the last year of his contract and might miss one regular-season game. Not seeing the huge disappointment factor.
Old 08-21-2013   #168
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

?? He's in the last year of his contract and might miss one regular-season game. Not seeing the huge disappointment factor.
I thought about that but it's always the guy that retaliates that gets punished. Sucks for Smith but at least it wasn't 6 games and he wasn't popping mollies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #169
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
It's really hard to defend Ninja when he's so wrong and it's on film...even when he's so right. The homer in me wants to say the regular season game suspension was unwarranted but it probably is.

Caught between a rock and a hard place.
I think some of us have been very clear that we're OK with Antonio Smith getting punished, but we just want Incognito punished AS WELL. He instigated the incident, and he tried to injure Antonio Smith. If there's no punishment for deliberately trying to injure another player, then you have to expect players to "fix it", as ED said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Ninja maybe went a little too far with taking Incognito's helmet and all but I understand Davis's take. Sometimes you got to stand up and let a guy like Incognito know that you can't be pushed around.
When the league won't protect players, they have to protect themselves. In my eyes, the league is complicit in this incident, because their radar should be locked on to Incognito from years past. That guy has issues with lots of players besides Smith. So letting Incognito's behavior go unchecked is the same as condoning it. So the league is not protecting players from Incognito's play that is clearly outside of the rules and spirit of the game.

So yeah, I'm OK with Smith getting sat down, but I am not OK with the NFL or Incognito. And I am OK with Smith's reaction, except for the fact that he didn't connect. If you're going to get sat down, make it worthwhile. Personally, I hope Incognito suffers some career ending injury.
Old 08-21-2013   #170
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They weren't, but I'm sure they are today.
They've paid him handsomely for his efforts over the last 2 years, just as they are this season. But Smith is supposed to set the example for the teams rookies and other young players looking to role models, not act like the most immature and out-of-control player on the entire roster. And maybe the Texans blow-out SD, or maybe the game is very close with Smiths absence being the difference between winning and losing.
Old 08-21-2013   #171
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought about that but it's always the guy that retaliates that gets punished. Sucks for Smith but at least it wasn't 6 games and he wasn't popping mollies.
I see that for "real-time" flags, etc., but not when you've got all day to go back and look at film. In this case, there's zero excuse as neither were flagged during the game.
Old 08-21-2013   #172
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yep, now way Texans are disappointed in Smiff's top 25% play last two years.

Quote:
Quote:
I thought about that but it's always the guy that retaliates that gets punished.
But the league office can retroactively punish what they see. Incognito was digging his left hand into Smith's facemask/eyes and then struck him in the head with his right. No foul? Without those there would not have been any retaliation by Smith.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #173
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't why the media just chooses to ignore Cognito wrenching Smiths neck right before the swing. Even NFLN just casually removes it like it is nothing
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #174
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see that for "real-time" flags, etc., but not when you've got all day to go back and look at film. In this case, there's zero excuse as neither were flagged during the game.
Quote:
But the league office can retroactively punish what they see. Incognito was digging his left hand into Smith's facemask/eyes and then struck him in the head with his right. No foul? Without those there would not have been any retaliation by Smith.
All I'm saying is don't expect the "he hit me first" defense to much. The league is full of hypocrites. Should Incognito get something too? Absolutely. I just don't see it happening. I'm just skeptical of the league actually doing the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #175
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They weren't, but I'm sure they are today.
They've paid him handsomely for his efforts over the last 2 years, just as they are this season. But Smith is supposed to set the example for the teams rookies and other young players looking to role models, not act like the most immature and out-of-control player on the entire roster. And maybe the Texans blow-out SD, or maybe the game is very close with Smiths absence being the difference between winning and losing.
BS. That defense sees one of their leaders not taking crap from some dirty POS like Incognito. I guarantee the respect they have for Smith shadows any negative repercussions from this incident.

You think guys on the Steel Curtain or Doomsday Defense would put up with a punk like Ingognito pulling his dirty crap? Of course not. And we need defense like those historic units. A team that does not take crap from anyone and walks the line.
Old 08-21-2013   #176
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting piece by Solomon in the Chronicle this morning:

Solomon: Texans’ Smith hardly the first player to swing a helmet at a foe
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #177
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I still don't why the media just chooses to ignore Cognito wrenching Smiths neck right before the swing. Even NFLN just casually removes it like it is nothing
Smith is only getting sympathy from Texans homers. Its either an all-reaching media conspiracy against Antonio Smith, or it is a case of rose-tinted glasses.

No problem with Antonio retaliating against a POS. But trying to hit a guy in the head with a blunt object...

Now if he had given Incognito an AJ style beatdown like what happened to Finnegan, there would be much rejoicing in the football world.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #178
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
BS. That defense sees one of their leaders not taking crap from some dirty POS like Incognito. I guarantee the respect they have for Smith shadows any negative repercussions from this incident.
C'mon, it's a meaningless exhibition game, and Smith goes brain-dead and ends up getting busted for a game that really counts. He should have just walked away or laughed it off, especially since he's gone up against this dirty bastaxd several times in the past. How stupid is that, really, for Smith to go nutz agasint this guy and have this happen a couple weeks befor the season begins ?
Just grow up already Antonio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You think guys on the Steel Curtain or Doomsday Defense would put up with a punk like Ingognito pulling his dirty crap? Of course not. And we need defense like those historic units. A team that does not take crap from anyone and walks the line.
Rock of ages, Truth of devine..... decades and decades ago before Goodell and concussion litigation specialists appeared on the scene.
Old 08-21-2013   #179
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Now if he had given Incognito an AJ style beatdown like what happened to Finnegan, there would be much rejoicing in the football world.
Exactly. As dumb as it may sound, if Smith had just gone Roy Jones jr on Incognito rather than swinging a helmet around, there would be much less blowback on Smith, and media probably would've concentrated more on how Incognito plays dirty.

Or at least thats how it plays out in my head (probably would not have happened this way). It also doesn't help that Smith has gotten a few fines for blows to the head already in just his Texans career.
Old 08-21-2013   #180
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Interesting piece by Solomon in the Chronicle this morning:

Solomon: Texans’ Smith hardly the first player to swing a helmet at a foe
Fixed link.

So Michael Irvin used his helmet as a weapon during halftime fight,

and when Raiders Howie Long got into it with Patriots GM Patrick Sullivan Matt Millen stepped in and whomped the GM in the forehead with his helmet.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read