Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2013   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The backup RB battle

C.Sturgis kicks 65 yards from MIA 35 to end zone, Touchback.
Houston Texans at 0:43

1-10-HST 20 (:43) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short middle to D.Hopkins to HST 33 for 13 yards (J.Wilson). P8

1-10-HST 33 (:05) D.Karim left tackle to HST 38 for 5 yards (A.Spitler)
Dolphins attacked the wrong gaps, making it easy for the Texans O-line to block.
A better block by Hopkins would have sprung Karim for yards.
Nothing special by Karim here.
Outside zone run with LT blocking in.

Second Quarter

2-5-HST 38 (15:00) D.Karim right guard to HST 44 for 6 yards (A.Spitler). R9
Good blocking by all, again, making it easy for Karim.

1-10-HST 44 (14:21) C.Keenum pass short left to K.Martin to MIA 47 for 9 yards (D.Patterson).

2-1-MIA 47 (13:42) De.Johnson right end to MIA 49 for -2 yards (K.Randall, K.McCray).
Quiz looked really bad and Newton was also losing ground.
Absolutely nowhere for DJ to go.
This could have been a five yards loss, but DJ fought hard to lose just two.

3-3-MIA 49 (13:00) C.Keenum pass incomplete short middle to K.Martin.

4-3-MIA 49 (12:53) A.Shapiro punts 37 yards to MIA 12, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by M.Thigpen.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The backup RB battle

MIA 14 HST 14, 11 plays, 78 yards, 4:46 drive, 11:01 elapsed

C.Sturgis kicks 73 yards from MIA 35 to HST -8. De.Johnson, Touchback.

Houston Texans at 3:59

1-10-HST 20 (3:59) C.Keenum pass incomplete deep right.

2-10-HST 20 (3:51) D.Karim left tackle to HST 21 for 1 yard (D.Shelby).
Brooks missed the cut block and dove forward into the heel of the C White.
This caught him totally off-balance and got pushed back by the DT.
The other DT (whom Brooks was supposed to block) squeezed the gap, limiting the room Karim had to run through.

3-9-HST 21 (3:09) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass deep middle to A.Lemon to HST 41 for 20 yards (W.Davis). P12

1-10-HST 41 (2:37) (Shotgun) PENALTY on HST-A.Gardner, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at HST 41 - No Play.

1-15-HST 36 (2:21) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass incomplete short right to A.Lemon (D.Shelby).

2-15-HST 36 (2:18) (Shotgun) De.Johnson up the middle to HST 39 for 3 yards (D.Shelby).
Jones was so-so on his block (no push) while Brooks was too wide in his stance on the seal block.
This closed up the gap for the lead blocker to get through.
Graham, who lined up as the H-back, had to slow down to avoid stepping on Brook's leg.
By this time, the DT was able to disengage from Jones' block to tackle DJ.
DJ worked hard to gain an extra yard, yard and a half.

Two-Minute Warning

3-12-HST 39 (2:00) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short left to K.Martin to HST 43 for 4 yards (J.Taylor).

Timeout #1 by MIA at 01:49.

4-8-HST 43 (1:49) A.Shapiro punts 48 yards to MIA 9, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by C.Bumphis.
Old 08-20-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Houston Texans at 0:48

1-10-HST 49 (:48) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short left to G.Graham to MIA 44 for 7 yards (J.Kaddu).

2-3-MIA 44 (:30) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short right to De.Johnson to MIA 39 for 5 yards (N.Carroll, T.Robertson). P13
With pressure right in his face, Keenum quickly dumped off a pass to DJ, who dragged the tackler for another 4 yards.

Timeout #2 by HST at 00:22.
1-10-MIA 39 (:22) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short right to A.Lemon pushed ob at MIA 28 for 11 yards (N.Carroll). P14

1-10-MIA 28 (:17) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass incomplete deep right to A.Lemon.

2-10-MIA 28 (:12) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass incomplete deep right to A.Lemon.

3-10-MIA 28 (:06) R.Bullock 46 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-S.Lechler

MIA 14 HST 17, 6 plays, 23 yards, 0:47 drive, 14:59 elapsed
Old 08-20-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Third Quarter

Houston Texans at 13:33

1-10-HST 20 (13:33) D.Karim up the middle to HST 21 for 1 yard (T.Okpalaugo).
RG White and RT Harris got no push on the double-team (that's bad).
Still, Karim needed to pick a hole and just plow through it instead of running into White's back.
He could have pick up a yard or two more.

2-9-HST 21 (12:57) C.Keenum pass short left to T.Clutts to HST 37 for 16 yards (W.Davis). P15

1-10-HST 37 (12:19) D.Karim left guard to HST 34 for -3 yards (A.Francis).
Not sure where Karim's aiming point is supposed to be on this play.
It was in 12 personnel and there were two double-teams on the back side.
One would think the runner would need to get ready for the cut back immediately,
especially since Jones was blocking his man to the front side.
Looks like Karim may have widen himself to much at the outset,
he wasn't able to cut back properly.
Perhaps Jones needed to be better at his block, too (???)
Even with the poor double-team by the two TEs on the back side,
there was a lot of room here.

2-13-HST 34 (11:39) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass incomplete short right to L.Jean (T.Robertson).

3-13-HST 34 (11:33) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass deep right to G.Graham to MIA 48 for 18 yards (J.Kovacs, J.Kaddu).

PENALTY on HST-G.Graham, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at HST 34 - No Play.

3-23-HST 24 (11:04) (Shotgun) D.Karim up the middle to HST 33 for 9 yards (T.Robertson).
It was 3rd and 23 so the Dolphins dropped back into coverage, giving the Texans and Karim plenty of room to run through.
They didn't mind a 9-yd run.
Nothing special by Karim here.

4-14-HST 33 (10:31) A.Shapiro punts 42 yards to MIA 25, Center-J.Weeks. C.Bumphis to MIA 29 for 4 yards (E.Mack).
Old 08-20-2013   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Houston Texans at 8:56

1-10-HST 20 (8:56) D.Karim right tackle to HST 33 for 13 yards (J.Posey; L.Robinson). R16
Excellent job by the Texans around the POA on this wide zone run to the right.
Graham with a great seal block on the edge.
Nice job by Harris pulling to the outside to decimate one of the OLB.
Good jobs most everywhere by the blockers.
Too easy for the runner.

1-10-HST 33 (8:20) D.Karim left end to MIA 48 for 19 yards (R.Stanford). R17
Nice jump by Graham at the beginning, giving the LT Gardner and the RG Quiz
plenty of room to pull to the outside to block at the second level.
Good blocks downfield by Jean, and especially KMart.
Not a knock on Karim, but I think Foster would likely score a TD here.

1-10-MIA 48 (7:40) D.Karim up the middle to MIA 44 for 4 yards (T.Okpalaugo).
Good blocking by the Texans everywhere, but too much dancing by Karim here.
Had he hit the hole immediately, he would have gained at least 3 or 4 more yards.

2-6-MIA 44 (7:00) T.Yates pass short middle to K.Martin to MIA 33 for 11 yards (D.Jones). P18

1-10-MIA 33 (6:26) T.Yates pass short left to G.Graham for 33 yards, TOUCHDOWN. P19

R.Bullock extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-S.Lechler
Old 08-20-2013   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Did I get any of those plays wrong?

Discuss.
Old 08-20-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is as important as back up QB. I'd like to see Tate traded with Foster, Wood and Karim on roster.
Old 08-20-2013   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think this is as important as back up QB. I'd like to see Tate traded with Foster, Wood and Karim on roster.
Before Karim arrived I picked DJ and Wood in the UDFA game.
My take was that those guys might either make the team or the PS.

Wood needs to improve on his blocking (from what I saw on film and from what I heard from the practices) to have a chance.

DJ has been really good at this; I think he and Karim are the two front runners in this battle.

I don't mind trading Tate, but it seems such a waste to do that.
Old 08-20-2013   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Wow, talk about blatantly biased.
Old 08-20-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow, talk about blatantly biased.
Thank you for the in depth discussion!
Old 08-20-2013   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate didn't look so good last game. "Groins" (adductors) tend to be chronic problems, ala. Brooks Reed, Bullock and JJo.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Did I get any of those plays wrong?

Discuss.
I'm not sure why you posted what you posted. How does "3-10-MIA 28 (:06) R.Bullock 46 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-S.Lechler" affect the backup RB battle?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm not sure why you posted what you posted. How does "3-10-MIA 28 (:06) R.Bullock 46 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-S.Lechler" affect the backup RB battle?
Oh, I just copied the whole gamebook into notepad so I can make a note of each play whenever I have a chance to watch the game, a bit at a time.

@Icak,
I have no reason to be biased against myself.
In the college and mock draft forums, I and a couple of other "draftniks" were eying Cierre Wood with a late round pick for the Texans.

And I'm leaning toward Karim now.

How does a that make me biased???
Old 08-20-2013   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How does a that make me biased???
Your commentary goes like this:

CJ - it is anyone's fault but CJ.
Karim - it is anyone's credit but Karim.
Old 08-20-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Your commentary goes like this:

CJ - it is anyone's fault but CJ.
Karim - it is anyone's credit but Karim.
Re-read post #2 and post #4 (the first play of the second half).

I just call it as I see it.
If people see it differently on any of the plays, they are welcomed to post their viewpoint.
Old 08-20-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Back to discussing RBs, I watched Wood last year every chance after spot checking him before '12. I had him in rounds 5-6 but was disappointed when he was not drafted. When ND coach moved another back ahead of him, he just kept on. 7 yd per carry IIRC & I was excited when he signed with Houston. Johnson good in TC not so much Wood and then reversal in preseason. Karim is strong with killer speed & needs to run as if he does not want to go back to parking cars. Interesting link: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=rb
Old 08-20-2013   #17
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gonna keep banging this drum, Ray graham is the best back out of the bunch and he isn't getting the looks he deserves. Karim is a one trick pony, run fast. Dennis Johnson lacks vision IMO, Wood is good. Tate is crap. Thats my IN DEPTH discussion.

Old 08-20-2013   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Gonna keep banging this drum, Ray graham is the best back out of the bunch and he isn't getting the looks he deserves. Karim is a one trick pony, run fast. Dennis Johnson lacks vision IMO, Wood is good. Tate is crap. Thats my IN DEPTH discussion.

How's he doing at practice? RB for us is much much more than running the ball. Can't block, won't play. I'm sure the font play him and stash him on PS argument card will be played but humor me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

All we know is that in the last conference call, Kubiak said that nobody has separated himself.

(on evaluating the rookie free agent running backs) “Well, I don’t think anybody has separated themselves. I think I said last night, there’s something about (RB) Deji (Karim) that’s very trusting. He’s played a little bit of football in the NFL. He does everything right. He’s helping (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) on special teams. I think, if anything, he’s probably a little ahead of the other guys, probably just from experience. (RB Dennis) Johnson has shown some signs, has practiced extremely well. It hasn’t transferred to the field the way I’d like it to, but there has been some good things. He’s excellent in his pass protection. Last night, not much happened in the run game and then he turns the ball over, which obviously you can’t do. We’re going to continue to give him opportunities because it’s been an excellent camp. (RB Cierre) Wood’s got a lot of talent. He’s inconsistent in what he’s doing. He’s got to play better for Joe on special teams. Those guys have got to sort it out for us and they’re going to get a great deal of time here over the next two weeks.”

Basically, he saw it just like I do.
Old 08-21-2013   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63569 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Karim is probably best in pass pro and as a vet he has experience. He's probably the most dependable of the bunch and was a viable fantasy football commodity just a year back with mjd's issues.

Johnson is the speedster of the bunch with reliable hands and more value then anyone else as a return man.

I think c wood has the highest ceiling of the bunch and have been most impressed with him.

Dont know anything about the 4th guy but this will be one of the toughest roster cuts on the team. Texans did a great job in the udfa market here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read