Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2013   #21
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster's Week 1 availability in doubt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Foster was running well in the first week of OTAs. He then was carted off the field after he tore his calf (described as a "severe calf strain") on May 28 and ended up on crutches. Before that, he had no problems with his back. He was then rehabbing for 2 months, which included running. His calf rehab was still not successful. It wasn't until after that his back started giving him problems. It is not uncommon for Grade II or III calf tears to require 2 - 3 months or more, because of ease of re-injury even during rehab. If he was having so much trouble coming back from the tear, you can bet that his core was compensating, especially with attempts to run. When your core is twisted, back muscles and vertebral bones maintain asymmetric positions with compression of the discs and of the spinal nerve roots that pass between the vertebrae and discs. This would easily explain his back problem now.
This makes sense. The twisted, asymmetrical vertebral positioning you describe is pretty much the permanent condition of my spine. Its ability to absorb shock is minimized, and it tends to stay compressed if I don't manage it with stretching, chiro therapy, and massage. I refuse to allow it to restrict me from sports or weight training, but when I really tweak a nerve or have a bad spasm, I'm done. Think Tracy McGrady.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #22
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74785 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

In laymens terms: Arians back is full of anti awesomeness which in turns sucks for us.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #23
rpagz3
Rookie

If only Ben Tate could stay healthy this really wouldn't be a huge concern.
rpagz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #24
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is the RB w the best blocking and pass catching ability out of the backfield gets the nod as the 3rd back. Our run blocking is suspect and with Hopkins and our TEs looking good I have a feeling Schaub is going to have 600+ passing attemps this year.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
My guess is the RB w the best blocking and pass catching ability out of the backfield gets the nod as the 3rd back. Our run blocking is suspect and with Hopkins and our TEs looking good I have a feeling Schaub is going to have 600+ passing attemps this year.
After Tate almost getting Schaub killed and his total no-show so far in the pre-season, he's kinda scaring me as our #2.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #26
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Cierre Wood best out of the rookie backs. I don't think he would make it to the practice squad.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I really like Cierre Wood best out of the rookie backs. I don't think he would make it to the practice squad.
I do, too.

But judging by when guys are getting to play, it looks like Dennis Johnson is ahead of him on the depth chart. I'd love to see Cierre get some time with the 1s.
Old 08-19-2013   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Office pool bets are "Who returns first, Foster or Reed"... odds moving in favor of the new Texan.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #29
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80130 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I do, too.

But judging by when guys are getting to play, it looks like Dennis Johnson is ahead of him on the depth chart. I'd love to see Cierre get some time with the 1s.
Same here, hopefully Cierre moved above Dennis Johnson after Johnson's two fumbles against MIA. Really hope we hold onto Wood. lol
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #30
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Same here, hopefully Cierre moved above Dennis Johnson after Johnson's two fumbles against MIA. Really hope we hold onto Wood. lol
I truly wish for the same, Cierre Wood is my guy at this point although I wouldn't be disappointed with Karim. Kubes said something to the effect of he loves Dennis Johnson because of his special teams and returning ability, and that he has had a good camp but it's not yet translating to the field. (news flash kubes, it won't).

He also said something to the effect of Cierre Wood had to improve in special teams.

Dennis Johnson has been abysmal, I'd rather not waste another minute on him. He just is not a good fit for this team but I fear we'll be stuck with him.
Old 08-19-2013   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Old 08-19-2013   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I truly wish for the same, Cierre Wood is my guy at this point although I wouldn't be disappointed with Karim. Kubes said something to the effect of he loves Dennis Johnson because of his special teams and returning ability, and that he has had a good camp but it's not yet translating to the field. (news flash kubes, it won't).

He also said something to the effect of Cierre Wood had to improve in special teams.

Dennis Johnson has been abysmal, I'd rather not waste another minute on him. He just is not a good fit for this team but I fear we'll be stuck with him.
I'd keep Karim and Wood and put Johnson on the PS.

Like I said in another thread, though. What about Tate? He almost got Schaub killed and although he hasn't had many chances, he hasn't looked all that great so far. I'd be tempted to trade him... out of the AFC, of course, just in case.
Old 08-19-2013   #33
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on the first two preseason games, I'm thinking Karim is the likely choice at RB3. He's looked good running the ball, he's got real NFL experience, and while Wood has looked very good, I think the thing that will make the final difference is special teams.

As to whether Wood would make it to the PS, who knows. RB's are not a highly valued commodity in the league, and fans are notorious for over-valuing their own UDFA's, so while I recognize the possibility he gets picked up, I'm gonna go with him making it through waivers - should he end up not making the first version of the final 53.
Old 08-19-2013   #34
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'd keep Karim and Wood and put Johnson on the PS.

Like I said in another thread, though. What about Tate? He almost got Schaub killed and although he hasn't had many chances, he hasn't looked all that great so far. I'd be tempted to trade him... out of the AFC, of course, just in case.
I'm with you pencil neck, groin injury or not he looks bad this season. I don't know what we save by cutting him out right, but Karim and Wood both look a lot more comfortable in the zone running scheme we lean on. I don't think he's even trade bait, but if someone wants him, hell we'll throw in a bag of chips.

I just can't get on board with a RB who never sees the field due to injury, forces plays due to impatience, and is a liability in blitz pickup. I've been over the whole Tate situation for quite some time.
Old 08-19-2013   #35
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Based on the first two preseason games, I'm thinking Karim is the likely choice at RB3. He's looked good running the ball, he's got real NFL experience, and while Wood has looked very good, I think the thing that will make the final difference is special teams.

As to whether Wood would make it to the PS, who knows. RB's are not a highly valued commodity in the league, and fans are notorious for over-valuing their own UDFA's, so while I recognize the possibility he gets picked up, I'm gonna go with him making it through waivers - should he end up not making the first version of the final 53.
This.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #36
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is optimistic Foster will be ready Week 1:

Quote:
HOUSTON -- Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak is optimistic about Arian Foster's progress despite the star running back's setback this week.

Asked if he could count on Foster to play in the season opener, Kubiak said he could.

"I am, because I watch him work ... with (trainer) Geoff (Kaplan)," Kubiak said Monday. "Obviously there's been a little setback as we try to get the soreness out of him. It's not like he's been standing around for the last three weeks."
ESPN
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Before we signed Karim, the two guys I thought to have a shot at the third RB spot were DJ and Wood.

Now, we add Karim to the mix and he has the experience edge.
But all three have been up and down.

DJ has been quite good in picking up blitz and blocking; I'm sure that doesn't go past Kubiak. One of the fumbles was unfortunate as he was on top of a defender with another trying to prop him up. The replay just doesn't have enough of a clear angle to reverse the call. It wasn't because he was reckless with the ball or he wasn't strong enough to hold on to the ball. I wouldn't put that as a negative on him.

Our run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, I would seperate those instances when evaluating players.

IMO, Karim and DJ are neck to neck, with Wood in third.
I still need to go back and watch them really carefully, but if Karim had hit the right hole a little more often, he would be the clear winner.
But he's still not consistent enough on his read, and for a veteran, it makes you wonder of he ever will.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Not sure what you are watching. DJ has looked like a big fat nothing as a runner - bad vision, dancing, etc.

Karim 6.1 ypc
Wood 5.3 ypc
DJ 1.7 ypc
Old 08-19-2013   #39
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Before we signed Karim, the two guys I thought to have a shot at the third RB spot were DJ and Wood.

Now, we add Karim to the mix and he has the experience edge.
But all three have been up and down.

DJ has been quite good in picking up blitz and blocking; I'm sure that doesn't go past Kubiak. One of the fumbles was unfortunate as he was on top of a defender with another trying to prop him up. The replay just doesn't have enough of a clear angle to reverse the call. It wasn't because he was reckless with the ball or he wasn't strong enough to hold on to the ball. I wouldn't put that as a negative on him.

Our run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, I would seperate those instances when evaluating players.

I still need to go back and watch them really carefully, but if Karim had hit the right hole a little more often, he would be the clear winner.
But he's still not consistent enough on his read, and for a veteran, it makes you wonder of he ever will.
Hell yeah, let's make DJ our third back, and bring home the trophy as the #1 rushing team in the NFL with that whopping 1.7 YPC!
Old 08-19-2013   #40
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not sure what you are watching. DJ has looked like a big fat nothing as a runner - bad vision, dancing, etc.

Karim 6.1 ypc
Wood 5.3 ypc
DJ 1.7 ypc

Yeah DJ has looked bad.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read