Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2013   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The is with this one.
I ain't about to deny it!

Old 08-11-2013   #22
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been disappointed that Braman has had such a poor camp; and my expectations for the dude has taken a bit of a nosedive. But he was the only OLB to get to the QB against the Vikings. Three more preseason games; we'll see who's the "sack leader" by the end of camp.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I thought Braman looked really good. I think he is ready to take meaningful snaps. Hopefully merciless has improved. If he has I thi k our LB corps as a whole is going to be pretty good. I think we are going to be fine there.
In addition to changing my critique of Pleasant (in another thread) I'm changing my position of Braman. I think he'll look really strong when we get 99, 94, & 56 in the game.
Old 08-11-2013   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I know sharpton plays inside, but I though he looked good as well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know sharpton plays inside, but I though he looked good as well.
I thought he did well, too; however, there were too few snaps between him and Mays to evaluate either one of them.

Knowing that, what was your impression of the two?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I thought he did well, too; however, there were too few snaps between him and Mays to evaluate either one of them.

Knowing that, what was your impression of the two?
I thought they both looked good. Both looked like they were ready to play. Of course like you said, not enough snaps though. Couldn't really see how they'd hold up in pass coverage for multiple snaps, but I saw mays make a nice stop on a run up the middle and sharpton impressed me most with his blitzing. Seemed to have a good feel for that. I think if they'd have been here last year they'd have been better than the guys we had.

And I think either guy would look fine next to Cushing. However, I'm leaning more towards sharpton. He looked fast and decisive on the field.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought they both looked good. Both looked like they were ready to play. Of course like you said, not enough snaps though. Couldn't really see how they'd hold up in pass coverage for multiple snaps, but I saw mays make a nice stop on a run up the middle and sharpton impressed me most with his blitzing. Seemed to have a good feel for that. I think if they'd have been here last year they'd have been better than the guys we had.

And I think either guy would look fine next to Cushing. However, I'm leaning more towards sharpton. He looked fast and decisive on the field.
I just went back and looked at them carefully, and I agree with you.
I tend to lean toward Sharpton as well.
He was solid to very strong in all the snaps.

The only thing I'd have liked to see from Mays is to take on the OL a little stronger on one play (that or work to get off the guy a little better.)
On another run play, I'm not sure of the assignment, so I can't really complain.
But if it was a one-gap assignment, I would have like for him to attack that gap sooner. There's a possibility for for a TFL or little to no gain there (with help from others.)

Overall, I think they both did well in the limited number of snaps.
Old 08-19-2013   #28
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone feeling any better about this unit after Saturday?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I've still got question marks.

I'm hoping Mercilus is the guy we drafted him to be because that's going to make a lot of our issues on the outside disappear. But we haven't seen it, yet.

What I've been kinda surprised about is that after all the talk, we're starting Tuggle at Sam and Reed at Will. I would have expected Reed at Sam.

Willie Jefferson and Braman have flashes on passing downs but they scare me against the run. Willie seems to have the edge and I think, with a little experience, he's going to develop into something special. Unfortunately, we need that "something special" now.

If it was up to me given what I've seen so far, I'd go with:
1. Mercilus
2. Reed
3. Tuggle
4. Jefferson
5. Braman

And that leaves Trevardo Williams and Sam Montgomery either IR'd or on the PS. Those two have really got to make a lot of progress the next two weeks or it's going to make some decisions really, really hard.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope! I don't think we'll see Trevardo and Montgomery contributing much on anything but STs this season. So that leaves us with:

Jefferson
Tuggle
Mercilus
Reed
Braman

Unspectacular if you ask me. Plus, other than Reed, weaker against the run.
Old 08-19-2013   #31
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We should brace ourselves for a real surprise, maybe even a shocker at this position when it comes to selection of the final 53-man roster because it is absolutely critical to have effective outside backers in the 3-4 defense and we are seeing much more production from undrafted players than the Draft pics.
The starters, Mercilus & Reed, are the givens but after that all bets are off with either OLB Draft pics here, Williams & Montgomery, even with a very consevative HC like Kubiak. He's got to get production here to have a really successful defense and also don't forget that Wade Phillips might have even more input about who makes the final roster on the defense than Kubiak.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

It's too early to start counting chicken.
These draft picks all had seen injury that has been keeping them behind schedule.
They didn't put them on IR, so it looks to me that they are leaning toward keeping them.
But who knows, we might see one or two guys mysteriously suffer an injury in the next two games and getting IRed.
Old 08-19-2013   #33
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol no.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ProFootballFocus is rating preseason games this year -- cumulatively for OLBs taking >25% of defensive snaps...

Willie Jefferson, then Brian Braman have "plus" grades so far. Wille is 3rd/79; Brian 7th/79.

None have negative overall grades, but Tuggle & Reed have "minus" pass rush grades and Trevardo has a "minus" run grade.

These are super small samples that, even though "normalized", still lend weight to players with more snaps. The small sample size overweights a single play. And this is all against varied, typically poor, competition.

My eyes haven't seen the issue with Reed on pass rush; but I have seen Willie get stoned when the lineman gets his hands on him. I have seen Tuggle struggle in pass rush and Trevardo struggle against the run.

So what I envision is a bunch of strategic substituting.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nope! I don't think we'll see Trevardo and Montgomery contributing much on anything but STs this season. So that leaves us with:

Jefferson
Tuggle
Mercilus
Reed
Braman

Unspectacular if you ask me. Plus, other than Reed, weaker against the run.
I was telling my wife how impressed I was at Tuggle's ability to set the edge... I thought he did a good job. I was also impressed with how deep he got on some of his drops... a lot of those timed I wondered why he got so deep, but that's another story.

I think Tuggle will be fine against the run. It's possible he can help our pass defense. The only thing I don't like about him is I see no value as a pass rusher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-19-2013   #36
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Saints just cut Chase Thomas. Anyone know anything about him? His pre draft info looked pretty damn good actually:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...5/chase-thomas

WOW! BRB wanted us to draft him in the 2nd round:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1/...t-chase-thomas
Old 08-19-2013   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quote:
#Texans OLB snaps vs. Dolphins. Jefferson (31) Tuggle (24) Braman (22) Reed (19) Montgomery (18) T. Williams (16)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Saints just cut Chase Thomas. Anyone know anything about him? His pre draft info looked pretty damn good actually:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...5/chase-thomas

WOW! BRB wanted us to draft him in the 2nd round:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1/...t-chase-thomas
Thomas was a nice college football who maxed out his ability with smart and effort. The NFL game is just a little too fast for him; that was my opinion of him during draft time. If he can somehow works to get better in his flexibility and quickness/speed, he could get another shot somewhere.
Old 08-19-2013   #39
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Thomas was a nice college football who maxed out his ability with smart and effort. The NFL game is just a little too fast for him; that was my opinion of him during draft time. If he can somehow works to get better in his flexibility and quickness/speed, he could get another shot somewhere.
Cant be any worse than what we have.
Old 08-20-2013   #40
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus has missed the first two preseason games with a hamstring injury. The coaches were hoping to get him back for Monday’s light practice, but it won’t happen, according to coach Gary Kubiak.

Mercilus, last year’s first-round pick who registered six sacks as a rookie, was promoted to the starting lineup in place of Connor Barwin. With Mercilus on the sideline, Justin Tuggle, an undrafted rookie, has started the first two games.

Willie Jefferson, another undrafted rookie, comes off the bench on the weak side. Jefferson recorded his first sack against the Dolphins. He had two tackles for a loss.

Rookie Trevardo Williams played in the second half and produced two sacks. He missed time after a cyst was removed from his foot.

Veteran Bryan Braman had a sack against the Dolphins, giving him 1 1/2. The Texans have 10 sacks in two games.

The performances of Braman, Williams, Jefferson and Tuggle gives the coaches confidence in the backup outside positions.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...g-linebackers/
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read