Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013   #401
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 2474 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Case Keenum has great pocket presence when it comes to evading the pressure of a pass rush or blitz then extending the play. That's where Matt Schaub is complete trash... outside of that I really respect Schaub's game. I'm definitely happy to see Case developing into a possible great starting qb but right now he's a backup due to the process.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #402
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak (on if he anticipates making a decision about who will be the backup quarterback after the fourth preseason game) “Oh, no doubt. Yeah, that decision could be made middle of the opening week. I don’t know yet. We’re in no hurry there.”
Quote:
(on if there is a chance he doesn’t keep three quarterbacks) “I don’t know. I’m going to keep good football players, I can tell you that. Those three guys are good football players right now. There’s a chance.”
Does that sound like we're keeping three QBs to you?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #403
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Does that sound like we're keeping three QBs to you?
Yeah, I think it's a foregone conclusion. LZ even mentioned this morning that considering their play so far, if either Case or TJ were to land on the PS they'd be snatched. I don't see Kubiak letting that happen with all the time they've put in developing these guys.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #404
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ready to see Keenum with first team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I trust you won't be terribly crushed as that has no chance in hell of happening.

Dream on.
This is not exactly true. Case just needs to take the position from Yates. Yates is never going to be the starter here. Not sure why some people still have this delusion of that ever happening. Even Kubiak isn't that silly.

If Case can decisively take the 2nd string job, Schaub could easily get hurt with how slow he is when he is blitzed or takes a hit. Everyone knows Schaub is pretty fragile. Case could potentially get a chance to start for a game or so in the regular season and could potentially shine for all we know. I've watched Schaub so far this season, and he looks slower then ever. His release does as well. There is no doubt in my mind that he'll struggle a lot against teams that effectively blitz us and get to Schaub, because he simply can't extend plays where defenders disrupt his pocket presence. Case may be going against scrubs, but with his skill set, even if his QB IQ is worse then Schaub's, I think his other intangibles also being other strengths that Schaub doesn't have. When I see a guy like Case moving around in the pocket and making nice throws with better velocity and nice placement, this offense looks like it has tons of more potential.

All it will take is a Schaub injury which we've seen in 3 different seasons could easily happen.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #405
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

When you watch other preseason games and see all the terrible QB play from the backups, it's pretty clear that we've got a helluva luxury here in that we've got 2 guys who are respectable backups. I'm really excited by Case because he seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.

I don't know, but I suspect, he's a gamer. He's one of those guys that doesn't practice all that well but who turns it on when the lights come on.

And with Kubiak and a lot of NFL coaches, that's kind of a problem. They don't want to trust anyone who isn't showing them they've got it down during practice. A gamer doesn't help those around him out during practice and might even be a detriment during the week.

Last year, people were worried about Case getting snatched off our PS and those fears were unwarranted. But now? No way he clears waivers.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #406
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I don't know, but I suspect, he's a gamer. He's one of those guys that doesn't practice all that well but who turns it on when the lights come on.

And with Kubiak and a lot of NFL coaches, that's kind of a problem. They don't want to trust anyone who isn't showing them they've got it down during practice. A gamer doesn't help those around him out during practice and might even be a detriment during the week.
We really don't know what they are doing in practice at times even if we watch it.

Kubiak could tell the QB, hey, throw a ball high and wide, I want to see if this receiver can go get it.

Or he could say, hey, I want you to throw the ball into that tight space; I want to see these two guys fighting for it.

Sometimes, at field level, we can't tell whether a receiver is running the correct route.

I mean, there's a ton of things that we don't have a clue about.
Old 08-19-2013   #407
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be fantastic if we had our QB of the future on the roster already.

That being said, this Gruden tweet had me thinking... Two seconds is how we got our current starter.

Quote:
Jon Gruden on ESPN: "If I were a coach, I'd offer a first-round pick to the Redskins to get Kirk Cousins on my team."
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #408
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
Case Keenum has great pocket presence when it comes to evading the pressure of a pass rush or blitz then extending the play. That's where Matt Schaub is complete trash... outside of that I really respect Schaub's game. I'm definitely happy to see Case developing into a possible great starting qb but right now he's a backup due to the process.
I really hate defending Matt but he's not complete trash. Not as good as we like, sure. But not complete trash.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-19-2013   #409
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Would be fantastic if we had our QB of the future on the roster already.

That being said, this Gruden tweet had me thinking... Two seconds is how we got our current starter.
If I'm the Redskins, I'm keeping Cousins because I don't expect RG3 to make it through a whole season intact.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #410
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
And the wheel keeps going. I'm sure you'll move the goalposts some more in order to make a long winded post that boils down to "No I didn't say that".
You are delusional.. the posts are public record for everyone to read. Nowhere in any post did I ever say what you said I did. You jumped to conclusions, stuck your foot in your mouth, showed your ***, and accused someone of posting something they didn't.. now you're just being too proud to admit you were wrong. Nobody is moving goal posts, you just shanked the kick.

Anyways.. you still think it sounds dumb to have the opinion that if we cut Keenum, he won't make it to our PS? There's a reoccurring theme in this thread.. you being wrong.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #411
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 2474 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I really hate defending Matt but he's not complete trash. Not as good as we like, sure. But not complete trash.

I concur. I was pointing out one specific area of his game when he's getting blitzed or rushed. You just can't teach athletic ability or foot speed coordination.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #412
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

He said Schaub is trash when trying to extend plays, which is true. Schaub isn't a playmaker and won't make things happen.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #413
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Schaub isn't a playmaker and won't make things happen.

He must have lucked in those 4000 yards last year huh? Those back to back 4000 yards were a total fluke too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #414
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He must have lucked in those 4000 yards last year huh? Those back to back 4000 yards were a total fluke too.
Could have been 5,000 yards, LOL!
Old 08-19-2013   #415
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Could have been 5,000 yards, LOL!
Touche

Case would've thrown for 6000 yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #416
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sage was on the radio today and he was talking about how this offense is kind of simple and doesn't put a lot of pressure on the QB's. Pretty much the same thing that's been said by members here. He talked about how when he was here he loved playing for Kubiak because things were very black and white. When QB's called a play he knew this, that and that was his options on the play. Again, been said here before.

Where Schaub struggles at times is when things don't go as planned or he has to make a play "off schedule". You can be a fine system QB...Or a QB that fits well in a system (since people have a weird hang up on "system player"), but there are players that can transcend a system by adding their own unique flair to it. Their mobility, their instincts, their big play ability, their anticipation, their strong arm, great accuracy, their film study and ability to know what defense are doing....

Matt has some of those characteristics but I don't know if anyone thing is strong enough in him that you'd call him a playmaker. Now maybe he could be if he was given more freedom. But he does not have the same amount of freedom that some of these other QB's have.

If anyone doubts that, go listen to the podcast from sr610 of the Sage interview. Unless you think he's a flat out liar for some reason then that really should be the end of it.

He specifically talks about how this offense is basically streamlined with options within each play so that it's easier on the QB to make reads and go through progressions (AKA QB friendly system)) vs his experience behind Eli Manning where he said that Eli basically has access to the whole playbook when he walks up to the LOS.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #417
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
You don't have to be a playmaker to throw for 4000 yards in today's NFL. You have to be a good QB, so I'm not saying Schaub is bad. But how many of those 4000 yards do you remember thinking only a handful of QBs would have gotten? In all honesty, half the QBs in the league would throw for 4000 yards in this offense under Gary Kubiak, maybe more. Hell, Jake Plummer threw for 4000 yards in this offense.

Moreover, the poster said that Schaub was trash in one specific, very narrowly defined area. That's completely defensible. You don't have to be evasive to throw for 4000 yards in Kubiak's offense. Schaub is NOT evasive. In fact, he's probably only slightly more athletic than QBs that have been called statues in years past.

This whole 4000 yard thing is seriously being overplayed by some of y'all. Schaub's a good QB, but it's not because he threw for 4000 yards.
Old 08-19-2013   #418
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You don't have to be a playmaker to throw for 4000 yards in today's NFL. You have to be a good QB, so I'm not saying Schaub is bad. But how many of those 4000 yards do you remember thinking only a handful of QBs would have gotten? In all honesty, half the QBs in the league would throw for 4000 yards in this offense under Gary Kubiak, maybe more. Hell, Jake Plummer threw for 4000 yards in this offense.

Moreover, the poster said that Schaub was trash in one specific, very narrowly defined area. That's completely defensible. You don't have to be evasive to throw for 4000 yards in Kubiak's offense. Schaub is NOT evasive. In fact, he's probably only slightly more athletic than QBs that have been called statues in years past.

This whole 4000 yard thing is seriously being overplayed by some of y'all. Schaub's a good QB, but it's not because he threw for 4000 yards.
There are quite a few QB's that I think would be better in this offense than where they are currently. Cam Newton, Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford...And a bunch of others.

Schaub is a good player, but that's where it ends. He's not great but good. He's smart, works hard, knows what to do. Those are good attributes to have, but those alone won't make you great.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #419
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When you watch other preseason games and see all the terrible QB play from the backups, it's pretty clear that we've got a helluva luxury here in that we've got 2 guys who are respectable backups. I'm really excited by Case because he seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.
I've watched some other preseason games, and you're exactly right. Some of those other teams have jack **** for their 3rd string QB wannabees.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #420
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Except for size (and the fact that he's not super quick like RGIII), I would have to say that Keenum has all the qualities of a QB that Bill Walsh wants.

I remember how Madden talks about the difference between what he wants in a QB vs Walsh; the main thing was that Madden wants his QB to zip the ball even if it's a 5-yd pass while Walsh prefers touch when needed.

In a book that I read, the author told the story of how Montana wasn't asked to go through all five reads until year four or something like that.

With Keenum, one the things that impresses me is how he can go through all five reads in about two seconds in the one back set or in empty.
It is extremely rare that you can find a young QB that can do it.

Also, I'm very impressed with the movement of his eyes and head.
He makes it difficult for the LBs and the safeties to tell where he's gonna go with the ball. You want your QB to be able to freeze these guys for a split of a second to make life easier for the target, be it the RB, the FB, the TE, or the receiver.

There's no way Gabbert can be a starter over Keenum.
I was so glad the Jags didn't take Keenum.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read