Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2013   #41
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Positives and negatives.

Newton was terrible!- not just on the sack, but in the strong side running game... and against the second team Dolphin defense as well.

Tate was pathetic. He was indecisive at the line and missed the hole often.

Quisenberry got blown up at least once but also looked very good in the 3rd quarter.

WRs all looked good

Swearinger looked very good

Randy Bullock kickoffs are a sight for sore eyes.

Willie Jefferson is easily the best of the rookie OLBs at this point- and the only one that should be on the field right now.

Garrett Graham looks stronger- his blocking was better and he just appears more physical this year.

Hopkins is a very willing blocker.

I can't watch the offensive line when Andrew Gardner is playing tackle.
Old 08-18-2013   #42
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57330 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how much cap space we can save by cutting Tate, but if we could I'd gladly do it to sign Cierre Wood and Deji Karim for pennies. Tate strugges to stay on the field, is below average in pass protection, and forces too much in a stretch run scheme.

Keenum lit it up.

Derek Newton, wow, simply abysmal. We're going to have to get him a glass stomach so he can continue to play with his head up his ass.

Swearinger balling out there.

WR's looking solid.

Willie Jefferson looks like a steal, better make the team.

Trevardo Williams finally showing up!

DB's were all over the place. Actually solid play from Brandon Harris today.
Old 08-18-2013   #43
CeeQue
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I wish I could be as calm as you. If they couldn't get Tannehill off the field, what will they do when Drew Brees and his air show comes to town next week?? <shudder>
Exactly what I was thinking. We're going to face some above average QBs on our schedule this year in the NFC West, Denver, NE, etc.... All of which have proven that they can torch man coverage.
CeeQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #44
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

What I liked:

McClain - our NT spot was an area of concern before the season, I think it might be one of our strengths coming out. Our D-Line will be flat out scary.

RBs - basically all of them looked good, Wood and Karim probably the best of the bunch. Whoever we pick, we will have 3 great RBs on this squad.

WRs - Jean and Lemon showing up, Martin looking better and Hopkins showing signs of greatness. And let`s not forget Posey is on the verge of coming back and we have that late rounder still waiting for his chance.

TEs - Griffin is impressing me, Graham is up for a breakout season, Daniels is Danies

Backup QBs - both look good and in control of the game. Keenum is the exciting one since he might be that hidden gem - Yates is the experienced one with a playoff win under his belt.

K/P - both looked great

What I didn`t like:

O-Line: Newton looked horrible on the sack and bad on other plays - so did Jones and as a result even Brown. Ive felt like this was our biggest weakness before the season, and I still feel so.

LBs: Some did good and I sure am glad to have Cushing back - but other than him noone seems to really seperate himself from the group

Secondary - Wide open receivers all over the field. I hope nothing is wrong with JoJo and I hope somebody else will step up. Safeties look good though (including Keo)

ST - really? Still a penalty on every return? Still no clear blocking lanes?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #45
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
RB: I'm going to say this and it's probably just going to confirm to you guys that I'm crazy but...

How about we trade Tate now while we can get something for him. Then we move Karim to the #2 and Wood up to #3 and put DJ on the PS.

I've been thinking the same thing. Get something for him now while they can. The depth behind Foster is the best its ever been.
Old 08-18-2013   #46
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
If Montgomery is going to play like he did tonight then he needs to go on IR. He was slow off the ball, had no explosiveness, and got handled like a rag doll on one pass rush where he was shoved to the ground. That was an embarrassing showing for him.
First contact in a while. Cushing was getting knocked around too. They both need to get their feet under them.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #47
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. Get something for him now while they can. The depth behind Foster is the best its ever been.
Get what? Its preseason, and Tate is coming off a recent groin injury.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #48
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Jjo struggled.

The DB's weren't great with coverage. Newton is gonna get someone killed. Running game is suspect. Schaub looks like himself. Which isn't a great thing. He's who I thought he was...good enough, but also bad enough at times.

I feel a bit better about the OLB's. I think we'll be fine there. The LB's in general seen better than last year.

Keenum is good. Quick release. Anticipation, throws beautiful balls. Good mobility. Command. I'm serious when I say I want to see him with the ones. I think keenum could spark this offense to another level. Schaub should be fighting with him for a job.

Swagg was swagg. What I expect. Ninja looked great. We should keep Shapiro. Deji looks good. The WR corps looked really good....with keenum in. Our offense looked dangerous and explosive with keenum.

Ryan griffin and grahm looked good to go.

Dennis Johnson just ain't got it at this point. Keo looked solid actually.
Shapiro booms his punts and also has very nice touch.

Where do we put him though? PS?
Old 08-18-2013   #49
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Get what? Its preseason, and Tate is coming off a recent groin injury.
Get more than you are gonna get at the end of the season which is nothing. At least attempt it. I don't think Cierre Wood will make it to the practice squad if they keep Tate and Karim.
Old 08-18-2013   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe DeAndre got a concussion on that play... damn.

I'm not seeing our two 3rd rounders or our 4th rounder on the opening day roster.

Too many penalties...
  • Penalty on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
  • Penalty on HST-D.Brown, Offensive Holding
  • PENALTY on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
  • Penalty on HST-B.McCain, Defensive Holding
  • PENALTY on HST-A.Gardner, False Start
  • PENALTY on HST-G.Graham, Offensive Pass Interference
  • PENALTY on HST-B.Harris, Unnecessary Roughness
  • PENALTY on HST-D.Hunter, Defensive Offside
  • PENALTY on HST-A.Lemon, Clipping
  • PENALTY on HST-Z.Boren, Offensive Holding
  • PENALTY on HST-D.Johnson, Unnecessary Roughness
  • PENALTY on HST-R.Carmichael, Defensive Pass Interference
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #51
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Get more than you are gonna get at the end of the season which is nothing. At least attempt it. I don't think Cierre Wood will make it to the practice squad if they keep Tate and Karim.
Nobody is going to give up much of anything for him right now, his value is at bottom. Foster is coming off of 350 carries and Kubiak is going to rely heavily on Tate this year. Its preseason.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #52
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Can't believe DeAndre got a concussion on that play... damn.

I'm not seeing our two 3rd rounders or our 4th rounder on the opening day roster.

Too many penalties...
  • Penalty on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
  • Penalty on HST-D.Brown, Offensive Holding
  • PENALTY on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
  • Penalty on HST-B.McCain, Defensive Holding
  • PENALTY on HST-A.Gardner, False Start
  • PENALTY on HST-G.Graham, Offensive Pass Interference
  • PENALTY on HST-B.Harris, Unnecessary Roughness
  • PENALTY on HST-D.Hunter, Defensive Offside
  • PENALTY on HST-A.Lemon, Clipping
  • PENALTY on HST-Z.Boren, Offensive Holding
  • PENALTY on HST-D.Johnson, Unnecessary Roughness
  • PENALTY on HST-R.Carmichael, Defensive Pass Interference
The Unnecessary Roughness on Delano Johnson was a misunderstanding. Starling thought he got the INT of a tip and Delano just bulldozed the guy next to him as Starling ran by.

It kept the game going which shouldn't have happened but he wasn't out to hurt someone he was just trying to block for his teammate.
Old 08-18-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't know why.... I know it's a serious situation.... but I can't stop laughing when I see our special teams out there.

The most promising event from the game......
Case Keenum sprinting 48 yards to celebrate a TD with LeStar Jean
It don't make sense, I know. Tj will be our #2 QB on the 2013 depth chart, but Case is the future. No doubt in my mind.
Old 08-18-2013   #54
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

the good
yates and keenum. both look like they could start for several teams, and one of them is going to be worth some picks in a trade.

quessenberry and brooks were solid. brooks is really looking like a key piece. he still has moments of not getting off the ball, but otherwise is an anchor.

tightends are stacked. daniels, graham and griffin are clones and perfect for what we do.

the bad
i thought our backs were pretty lackluster last night. tate, kerim and johnson produced a whopping 28 yards in the first half, and the only real highlight was the 3 runs by karim.

our linebackers not named cushing scare me. reed's ok, mays is hit or miss, braman is all hustle for special teams, but outside of them i dont see a lot of promise for this season. the future sure, but someone's going to have to make quite a jump in these next two games for me to be comfortable with our backups. (i didnt get to see williams and mercilus didnt suit up so maybe there's a bright spot)

special teams. i wonder how many games this will cost us.

the ugly
derrick newton. hopefully we're just resting ryan harris, because newton sucks.
Old 08-18-2013   #55
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Nobody is going to give up much of anything for him right now, his value is at bottom. Foster is coming off of 350 carries and Kubiak is going to rely heavily on Tate this year. Its preseason.
You are not telling me anything I don't already know other than relying heavily on Tate which I will have to see to believe. I still say shop him and see.
Old 08-18-2013   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We're winning the preseason!
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice

Quote:
Through 2 Preseason games, the Texans have the NFL's top passing attack, number 2 overall offense and number 4 defense. #keepitgoing
And now, for something completely different...

...and the next thing you know POOF!, I disappear. Gone. You know that, right?
Old 08-18-2013   #57
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
First contact in a while. Cushing was getting knocked around too. They both need to get their feet under them.
He got pancaked on his first play back lol, welcome back Cushing.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #58
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Jjo struggled.

The DB's weren't great with coverage. Newton is gonna get someone killed. Running game is suspect. Schaub looks like himself. Which isn't a great thing. He's who I thought he was...good enough, but also bad enough at times.

I feel a bit better about the OLB's. I think we'll be fine there. The LB's in general seen better than last year.

Keenum is good. Quick release. Anticipation, throws beautiful balls. Good mobility. Command. I'm serious when I say I want to see him with the ones. I think keenum could spark this offense to another level. Schaub should be fighting with him for a job.

Swagg was swagg. What I expect. Ninja looked great. We should keep Shapiro. Deji looks good. The WR corps looked really good....with keenum in. Our offense looked dangerous and explosive with keenum.

Ryan griffin and grahm looked good to go.

Dennis Johnson just ain't got it at this point. Keo looked solid actually.
Keenum just gives you more options on what to do on the field, he's mobile and when he goes thru his reads and progression is amazing, doesn't panic at all and just steps into the pocket to make the throws. He impressed me a lot more last night, I would love to see how he would do with the 1st team offense as well. Only thing that worries me is his height since I'm always seeing him jumping at times to make throws, and part of me wondered if he was taller would the ball that had gotten batted down at the line had a chance to hit the WR. We can't be having to many of those going on. One last thing, that 4th and 2 TD pass, that took balls to just lob it into the end zone! Idk if that what Kubes told him to do, or he just saw him open an said screw the 1st down, I'm going for the TD.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody reminds me what channel was the game on last night on local Houston TV?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76texan View Post
somebody reminds me what channel was the game on last night on local houston tv?
abc13 ktrk

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read