Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should start if Matt decided not to play another down?
Tj Yates 9 9.38%
Case Keenum 48 50.00%
Schaub can't do that 10 10.42%
May the best man win 29 30.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2013   #181
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Exhibit number two.

Case Keenum vs Alabama - 2007

Four weeks later, the Cougars faced Saban's Tides in Tuscaloosa.
It doesn't get any bigger than that.
His team would have players suspended before SEC play for violations of NCAA rules, but against the Cougars, they were stacked.

That D eventually have too many players that were drafted or played in the NFL after going undrafted. The drafted players are as followed:
Brandon Deaderick, Josh Chapman, Rolando McClain, Rashad Johnson, Marquis Johnson, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, and Ramzee Robinson.

Keenum came in with 6:35 left in the third quarter, facing a 7-23 deficit.
He almost pulled out the game, but the Cougars lost by 6 (24-30),
He had led the offense to the 3 yard line of the Tides.
With no time left on the clock, Keenum threw an INT in the end zone.
I was not at the game, so I can't tell how it happened.
It was still a heck of an effort by Keenum though.

He actually gained 10 points for the Coogs when he was in there.
Who knows what could happen had he played more.
With these 8 players on defense for the Tides plus several more who made NFL squads as UDFA, it's as close to an NFL defense as you can get.

If it doesn't give one a glimpse of what a QB prospect may fare in the NFL, I don't know what will.

And he was playing with scrubs.
He carried that whole team, and beat the Tides by 10 points.

He put 24 points on the board in one and a third quarter.
That was impressive to me, I don't see how anybody can dispute that.

And no, I'm not comparing him with Yates against the Ravens defense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #182
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
People are pointing out to speedfreak that Keenum did not in fact have magical performances in every big game in his career no matter how much he might try to marginalize below average performances in conference championships or whatnot. I didn't even have to dig because I know Keenum never won a championship in C-USA and had been there at least once or twice.

I'm not a Keenum hater, I hope he does succeed against the almost insurmountable odds against him. But trying to paint him as the savior of the Houston Texans when there is very very very little footage of him against NFL players is silly.
RG III had never even been to a Conference Championship Game.
It takes a whole team to win games, not one player.
Old 08-15-2013   #183
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58316 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And he was playing with scrubs.
He carried that whole team, and beat the Tides by 10 points.
Quote:
It takes a whole team to win games, not one player.
Which is it?
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #184
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Which is it?
MSR
Old 08-15-2013   #185
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Which is it?
You know darn well what I mean, LOL!

You can't expect a QB to carry his team all the time

Look at Peyton Manning's career.
Old 08-15-2013   #186
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the game -- it was almost surreal. The sound of 93,000
people getting very, very quiet as their multi-digit lead was whittled
away.

I really thought Case would pull it off. It was the very last play
and all or nothing. He forced it when he was under pressure (freshman
mistake) and it was picked. That's the kind of game he learned
from in my opinion.

Very similar thing happened when Keenum almost beat Andy Dalton's
TCU team in the Houston Bowl. UH was a pretty hefty dog if I remember
correctly.

Case started the game and most of his skills players were sick from
the flu. This is also a game he had to play with an interim head
coach, as Art Briles had literally just left to coach Baylor a week or
so earlier.

They lost the game on the last play, where Case threw a perfect pass
to a tight end that dropped it in the endzone. Couldn't blame the
tight end though -- he had been vomiting the entire game and needed
fluids..

TCU, Bama, Ok. St., Texas Tech, UCLA #2, etc. showed me what kind
of guts the kid has when the chips are down. Never seen that
kind of stuff from Schaub or Yates..

At this point Keenum has more to prove before he sees any regular
season playing time. But I won't count him out..

TJ

Quote:
Exhibit number two.

Case Keenum vs Alabama - 2007

Four weeks later, the Cougars faced Saban's Tides in Tuscaloosa.
It doesn't get any bigger than that.
His team would have players suspended before SEC play for violations of NCAA rules, but against the Cougars, they were stacked.

That D eventually have too many players that were drafted or played in the NFL after going undrafted. The drafted players are as followed:
Brandon Deaderick, Josh Chapman, Rolando McClain, Rashad Johnson, Marquis Johnson, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, and Ramzee Robinson.

Keenum came in with 6:35 left in the third quarter, facing a 7-23 deficit.
He almost pulled out the game, but the Cougars lost by 6 (24-30),
He had led the offense to the 3 yard line of the Tides.
With no time left on the clock, Keenum threw an INT in the end zone.
I was not at the game, so I can't tell how it happened.
It was still a heck of an effort by Keenum though.

He actually gained 10 points for the Coogs when he was in there.
Who knows what could happen had he played more.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #187
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

That he didn't win a championship proves nothing. Where is Marino's
superbowl?

Case had 2 attempts to win a conference title, the first time in 2009
(ECU) he hit a receiver square on in the chest for a game winning
touchdown. It was not caught, bounced up, and was interecepted
in the endzone by a defensive player to end the game. He played
that game in foul weather, horrid wind, and conditions that should
have killed the air-raid attack completely. He also lost his starting
left guard to an injury against rice the previous week and was under
massive pressure the entire game.

In fact, the last play is still on youtube. The receiver had position,
the ball was where it needed to be. A catch = a win. (4:56 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u146eg9DLNc

The only beef is that with 40 some-odd seconds left Keenum could
have tried to move closer to the goal line to get a higher percentage
throw..

The second attempt was against souther miss in 2011. Anyone that
follows the program knows how that went. The entire team collapsed
in that game and the head coach (who didn't bother to gameplan
for it until the previous thursday) was already out the door to aTm.

I can tell you this -- before Keenum, UH had either the longest
(or second longest) bowl game losing streak in all of NCAA D1
football. In the bowl games he played in he was 2-1, breaking that
streak.

Kevin Kolb -- drafted in the second round and winner of the conference
USA championship in 2006 for UH never won a bowl game.

No body is annointing Keenum the savior of the Texans. I'm just asking
people to hold off on the stupid (and unjustified) knocks he seems
to be taking.

Let it play out for a couple of years. We might have an Aaron Rodgers
like story when Matt retires or moves on.. (or not)

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
People are pointing out to speedfreak that Keenum did not in fact have magical performances in every big game in his career no matter how much he might try to marginalize below average performances in conference championships or whatnot. I didn't even have to dig because I know Keenum never won a championship in C-USA and had been there at least once or twice.

I'm not a Keenum hater, I hope he does succeed against the almost insurmountable odds against him. But trying to paint him as the savior of the Houston Texans when there is very very very little footage of him against NFL players is silly.

Last edited by speedfreek; 08-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #188
76Texan
Hall of Fame

How are we going to do this?

My vote hasn't changed.
It's still may the best man win the job.

One thing I will vote for is that somebody will sure as heck pick him up if he continues to play like this.

Keep working hard, Case!
Old 08-17-2013   #189
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

great matchup between these guys. I love seeing the passion with Case. He's also faster getting the ball out and Case actually looks like he has a more powerful arm than Schaub or TJ.

TJ played well. I like how he controlled the game.

I think this game could have been a tie or maybe a slight edge to Case with the long ball on 4th....that was clutch.

I'm good with Case at 3rd, since he'd prob have to be way over TJ to win the spot. I just like the fact there's some real competition.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #190
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Best man still but the way Case is playing, I will say it looks like we should have 3 QBs on the roster. He looked good. I will give him that. TJ is still QB2 in my book. TJ hasn't been bad and Case hasn't outplayed him to take his job. Interesting battle for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #191
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think, we need to keep 3QBs on our roster.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #192
9baller
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected9baller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we do carry three QBs on the roster, but I also believe that during the regular season one of them will be traded to a desperate team. If they are playing about equal then I see Yates being traded this season. I don't have a problem with Yates, but realistically one of them will have to go sooner or later.
9baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #193
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO case has outplayed both QBs. Matt hasnt looked bad, and i know he is still the guy. TJ has looked good as well, with all this said i am seeing some good things from Case that i really like. Afraid he will be picked up by someone if we PS him.

If schaub goes down i think we will be just fine with the 2 we have.
Old 08-17-2013   #194
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
IMO case has outplayed both QBs. Matt hasnt looked bad, and i know he is still the guy. TJ has looked good as well, with all this said i am seeing some good things from Case that i really like. Afraid he will be picked up by someone if we PS him.

Don't jinx me now EU, LOL!
Old 08-17-2013   #195
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

My vote stays the same but even before this, I had us keeping 3 QBs on our roster this year.

Case is showing he's a legitimate NFL QB but TJ isn't looking bad, either.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #196
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller View Post
I think we do carry three QBs on the roster, but I also believe that during the regular season one of them will be traded to a desperate team. If they are playing about equal then I see Yates being traded this season. I don't have a problem with Yates, but realistically one of them will have to go sooner or later.
You must not follow the Texans very closely. Either one of our backup QB's appear valuable right now. That dictates that Smith will have to cut one so another team can get him for free.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure if a team would sign Keenum off of our practice squad. He has shown a very good grasp of our offense, but I can't think of another team that runs an offense similar enough to ours to justify the roster spot.

Both backups looked pretty dang decent tonight. I still give Keenum abit of an edge due to intangibles and long term upside.
Old 08-18-2013   #197
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
In all seriousness, I'm not sure if a team would sign Keenum off of our practice squad. He has shown a very good grasp of our offense, but I can't think of another team that runs an offense similar enough to ours to justify the roster spot.
The Texans run the WCO. It's the most copied offense in the NFL. Sure, they have their specific plays and terminology. But for a QB, it is still the WCO.
Old 08-18-2013   #198
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post

IMO, this is the whole point.

We should have won the Super Bowl two years running. I know a lot of teams say that & I don't know if you (all inclusive) believe it or not. But I believe it. I believe Bob McNair, Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak, & our core players believe it.

I believe "we" also believe we should win the Super Bowl this year. We're starting at 0-0 like every other team, it's not going to be easy, but we've got the guys in place to make it happen.

This QB "competition" is to push both young QBs, get them both thinking that they are one play away & they need to be ready to take advantage of that situation. If (God forbid - & I mean that seriously (not like my wife who actually wishes harm on the guy)) something were to happen with Schaub...... or the Gimp shows up again, that's not going to be an excuse for why we didn't win a Lombardy. We already used those excuses.

Super Bowl of Bust.
Old 08-18-2013   #199
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans couldn't even secure home field last year much less beat a good team in the playoffs. So no they shouldn't have won the superbowl last year.

The year prior to that they played lights out. I think that was their year. Injuries just piled up but they never quit. Last year was an end of season collapse. Totally different.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #200
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Case.

I liked TJ and how he played when Schaub and Leinart went down. But don/t really see where he has the capability to go much farther. I think he is good and a good backup if we need one, but not the type to be a really good starter.

I don't watch college ball and really do not care how anyone played in college. The only thing that matters is can he play in the NFL. A lot of very good college players do not make that transition.

I see an excitement on the field when Case is in and it is not just him. He seems to motivate everyone else around him. Everyone just seems a little bit quicker. He seems to get the ball out of his hands faster than either Matt or TJ. He throws a really nice ball. That pass last night to Jean for the TD was beautiful to watch.

To be honest, I did not watch the second half with TJ in the game. I will watch that later as I recorded it.

I also do not think he will make it to our PS. I think somebody that plays the WCO will pick him up. Right now I would rather lose TJ than Case. I just think that Case has way more upside than TJ.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read