Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2013   #61
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For some reason I am thinking it was the other leg. This is one reason I have been working to replace Wade on my roster. I like Ben Jones but Q just seems better suited to LG after watch him at LT last year. I think many are going to look back on this season and realize what we saw with our Oline of the future.
Gary? Rick?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Here's one of the pieces that I read:

"Ross Tucker knows more about offensive line play than me, you and 10 other fans put together. He played every position along the line during a seven-year NFL career that included 23 starts. So when he writes about offensive line play, it's worth paying attention. Add in the fact that he doesn't regurgitate conventional wisdom and his new stuff at SI.com becomes a must read.

To Tucker, all these megadeals that left guards have been getting, including Alan Faneca's recent $40 million deals make no sense, because as he sees it, left guard is the second easiest position on the line to play. He ranks left tackle as the toughest, followed by right tackle. But he sees right guard as the position that is underappreciated. The reason is that he believes most team's better interior pass rusher is lined up against the right guard. And on most teams, the left guard gets help from the center as they slide the protection to the left, while the right guard is left on an island in pass blocking..."

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/05/ar...rds-overrated/
He played all 5 positions on the OL in a 7 year career, with 23 starts.

He may not be the "expert" we think him to be. Athletically talented.... mos def... but obviously something didn't translate to game day.

& by no means am I an expert, but I tend to remember Warren Sapp & Simeon Rice lined up predominantly over the LG.
Old 08-17-2013   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He played all 5 positions on the OL in a 7 year career, with 23 starts.

He may not be the "expert" we think him to be. Athletically talented.... mos def... but obviously something didn't translate to game day.

& by no means am I an expert, but I tend to remember Warren Sapp & Simeon Rice lined up predominantly over the LG.
And I'm pretty sure I've seen Watt the most over the RG or RT.
I haven't paid attention to Sapp or Rice, but I do recall watching Wade's guys when I tried to learn about Wade's defense over the years, that Bruce Smith lined up all over the place (like Watt did), but I'm pretty sure he made an awful lot of plays over the RG and RT.
I'll see if I can confirm that when I have some time to rewatch the games.

If my memory is faulty, I promise I'll let you know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #64
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
John Harris & I will be hosting a live, streaming Google Hangout before Texans game & a halftime hangout at http://TheSidelineView.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #65
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

So, what am I missing? I don't see the link to the hangout from the website, and I don't see one published on TheSidelineView Google+ page... Is it not on yet?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #66
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
So, what am I missing? I don't see the link to the hangout from the website, and I don't see one published on TheSidelineView Google+ page... Is it not on yet?
Now it looks like a "full game chat" ... http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...full-game-chat

Who knows if it'll work or not.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Gary? Rick?
lol most regulars know that several of us pretend we are GMs and maintain rosters, review college tapes and games and do mock drafts. If you are interested, visit the NFL mock draft forum where we exchange info, ideas and debate players. It gets heated up in a few more weeks when college teams are rocking.
Old 08-18-2013   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
???? I'm not really sure if I know what you mean.
For a year, I have been discussing replacing Wade Smith after 2013 season due to his age and salary. His health now adds to my position. If Crick can start in 2014, Wade should be gone.
Old 08-18-2013   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Because he's more athletic than Brooks and therefor better suited to get into the second-level, I see Quess as the Texans LG and Brooks on the right side because the Texans are basically a right-handed team (Schaub is right-handed, runs his boots to the right). Brooks strength is, well strength, and that's why they would want him blocking on the play-side as much as possible. Also it's not just LT Duane Brown, but the LG who's got Schaub's 'blind-side", and Quess was a multi-year LT in college and therefor probably a better, more experienced pass-blocker than Brooks.
This has been my position since the draft. I'd like to see Q back up Brown and Smith this season and start LG 2014.
Old 08-18-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This has been my position since the draft. I'd like to see Q back up Brown and Smith this season and start LG 2014.
Maybe we'll see a rotation of Quiz and Jones at LG and a rotation of Newton and Harris at RT this year? At least until somebody steps into their role full-time?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
For a year, I have been discussing replacing Wade Smith after 2013 season due to his age and salary. His health now adds to my position. If Crick can start in 2014, Wade should be gone.
Is Crick going to switch to offense?

Or does Crick starting mean we don't need Wade Phillips anymore?

You know I'm on your side, I just need to know which of my goofy arguments I need to brush up on.
Old 08-18-2013   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought that was what you meant.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You know I'm on your side, I just need to know which of my goofy arguments I need to brush up on.
Probably meant Jones........I think.
Old 08-18-2013   #74
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Q looked much better than Jones. I don't want to see a rotation there. If Smith can't go, throw Q in.
Old 08-18-2013   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Q looked much better than Jones. I don't want to see a rotation there. If Smith can't go, throw Q in.
Amen.
Old 08-18-2013   #76
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Should the Texans be on the lookout for a vet guard who might be on the trading block? Do they have enough cap space to even pickup a vet? This is a big year for this franchise and I would be a lot more comfortable with Quessenberry backing up at guard and tackle than forcing him into the starting lineup on week 1.
Old 08-19-2013   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

It actually took two reads for me to get what you were saying! lol I want Crick to replace Antonio 2014 ($9m cap) and Q to replace Wade. Too dang many Smiths. A mind is a terrible thing to waste...I am now accepting email donations for the "save BADBOY" collection. Can I count on you to be first with a hefty gift?
Old 08-19-2013   #78
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Should the Texans be on the lookout for a vet guard who might be on the trading block? Do they have enough cap space to even pickup a vet? This is a big year for this franchise and I would be a lot more comfortable with Quessenberry backing up at guard and tackle than forcing him into the starting lineup on week 1.
Not sure if it would be worth it imo. If Quess is the future, let him gain the experience. The problem with our scheme it seems the more you mix and match the worse our play is. This scheme relies heavily on becoming one cohesive unit. Havent seen that since Winston and Brisiel.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #79
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Absolutely! I want a fluid LG who can assist Brown in keeping MS safe. Brooks just fits better imo on right and should improve our run to the right scheme. Q sort of reminds me of Bruce Matthews who could play either tackle or guard. Like you, I'd prefer Smith healthy to start this season allowing Q to not get in the fire but he is getting valuable experience now.
Old 08-19-2013   #80
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. I'd like to see him get a lot of PT with the 1's against the Saints. If he holds up against starters I'd roll with him. Imo, Jones hasn't progressed much since last season

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read