Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2013   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Looks like we got the answer.........the arthroscope was on the same knee as the "bone bruise." Goes along with what I have posted about commonly associated injuries to adjacent structures, especially with "deep" bone bruises which occur with more severe impact to the bone.

It would now be interesting to know if this knee was the same one he had scoped back in the beginning of February.
For some reason I am thinking it was the other leg. This is one reason I have been working to replace Wade on my roster. I like Ben Jones but Q just seems better suited to LG after watch him at LT last year. I think many are going to look back on this season and realize what we saw with our Oline of the future.
Old 08-16-2013   #42
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For some reason I am thinking it was the other leg. This is one reason I have been working to replace Wade on my roster. I like Ben Jones but Q just seems better suited to LG after watch him at LT last year. I think many are going to look back on this season and realize what we saw with our Oline of the future.
???? I'm not really sure if I know what you mean.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've been touting Ben Jones @ RG & Brooks at LG.... makes more sense to me, than Ben Jones at LG.

I've been wanting to replace Wade Smith since before he was a pro bowler.

But... I do like Brooks @ RG & Q at LG
Old 08-16-2013   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've been touting Ben Jones @ RG & Brooks at LG.... makes more sense to me, than Ben Jones at LG.
Could you explain why?
Old 08-16-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Could you explain why?
I've thought Wade Smith's play has been below par for some time now. I also liked what I saw from Ben Jones last year. I know he doesn't have the power & strength of Brooks, but I think he's more athletic & better at getting to the second level. He reminds me of Myers.

Brooks is a big strong guy. He's not built like Wade, but he plays the same. Put that hulk next to Brown & just mow'em down. Then pull Ben Jones around and surprise that LB or Safety coming around the edge.

I thought all along the plan was to move Brooks to RG when the season starts & let Ben Jones get a couple of reps at Center through camp. But when Wade got hurt & they left Brooks @ RG I figured that's where they want him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-16-2013   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brooks is a big strong guy. He's not built like Wade, but he plays the same. Put that hulk next to Brown & just mow'em down. Then pull Ben Jones around and surprise that LB or Safety coming around the edge.
OK, so you believe the Texans have more of a left sided running attack, and Brooks would be better at the point of attack and Jones better at cutting off the back side.

I see your point.
Old 08-17-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is that the Texans change things up all the time.
One year, they would favor running to the left side more; another year, they would run right more.
One year, they ran more inside zone; another year, outside zone.
One year, they ran pure ZB; another, they added the gap-scheme runs and counters, and pulling linemen.

So if they decide to put a guy at certain position for now, I imagine they have an idea what they want to do this year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So if they decide to put a guy at certain position for now, I imagine they have an idea what they want to do this year.
I'm sure they do. I'm just trying to figure out where there thinking is. Our best OL was with Winston, Brisiel, & a pretty good Wade Smith. Jones looks like a better Brisiel & Brooks a younger Wade.

Problem, in my mind now, is Newton is nothing like Winston in the run game.

Right now it looks to me that Kubiak & Dennison doesn't have any rathers & build there line & attack according to there strengths.

Old 08-17-2013   #49
Lucky

Quote:
I'm sure they do. I'm just trying to figure out where there thinking is. Our best OL was with Winston, Brisiel, & a pretty good Wade Smith. Jones looks like a better Brisiel & Brooks a younger Wade.

Jones has not reached the level of competence that Brisiel had. I agree with you on Newton. Brooks is TBD.
Old 08-17-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Jones has not reached the level of competence that Brisiel had. I agree with you on Newton. Brooks is TBD.
TBD for sure on both Brooks & Jones.

I'm thinking in time, Jones will surpass Brisiel & Brooks will be as good as Wade in Wade's best season here. I think Wade was a monster his first season here.
Old 08-17-2013   #51
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Right now it looks to me that Kubiak & Dennison doesn't have any rathers & build there line & attack according to there strengths.

Because he's more athletic than Brooks and therefor better suited to get into the second-level, I see Quess as the Texans LG and Brooks on the right side because the Texans are basically a right-handed team (Schaub is right-handed, runs his boots to the right). Brooks strength is, well strength, and that's why they would want him blocking on the play-side as much as possible. Also it's not just LT Duane Brown, but the LG who's got Schaub's 'blind-side", and Quess was a multi-year LT in college and therefor probably a better, more experienced pass-blocker than Brooks.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Brooks strength is, well strength, and that's why they would want him blocking on the play-side as much as possible.
I can see that... replacing Winston as the road grader on the right.
Old 08-17-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can see that... replacing Winston as the road grader on the right.
The thing is, according to Football Outsiders, the Texans ran 34% to the left and 26% to the right last year.

I looked at their charts in random years, and there's no telling the tendency of all the teams.
Teams don't run to the right as one may think the general rule is.
The numbers are all over the place.
Old 08-17-2013   #54
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing is, according to Football Outsiders, the Texans ran 34% to the left and 26% to the right last year.

I looked at their charts in random years, and there's no telling the tendency of all the teams.
Teams don't run to the right as one may think the general rule is.
The numbers are all over the place.
But since most teams are "right-handed", don't they have a "bias" to put a bigger, stronger guard (and also tackle for that matter) on the right side, and a quicker, more athletic guard on the left-side ?
Old 08-17-2013   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But since most teams are "right-handed", don't they have a "bias" to put a bigger, stronger guard (and also tackle for that matter) on the right side, and a quicker, more athletic guard on the left-side ?
Yeh, it's more about the "blind side" than the run game.
Old 08-17-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know; it will be interesting to look up.
On the other hand, I've had read at least one account of a previous NFL Guard who said that the blind-side OG sees more help from the Center (this part is going to be impossible to quantified.)
Old 08-17-2013   #57
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, that certainly does apply for the left-tackle.
Old 08-17-2013   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know; it will be interesting to look up.
On the other hand, I've had read at least one account of a previous NFL Guard who said that the blind-side OG sees more help from the Center (this part is going to be impossible to quantified.)
Here's one of the pieces that I read:

"Ross Tucker knows more about offensive line play than me, you and 10 other fans put together. He played every position along the line during a seven-year NFL career that included 23 starts. So when he writes about offensive line play, it's worth paying attention. Add in the fact that he doesn't regurgitate conventional wisdom and his new stuff at SI.com becomes a must read.

To Tucker, all these megadeals that left guards have been getting, including Alan Faneca's recent $40 million deals make no sense, because as he sees it, left guard is the second easiest position on the line to play. He ranks left tackle as the toughest, followed by right tackle. But he sees right guard as the position that is underappreciated. The reason is that he believes most team's better interior pass rusher is lined up against the right guard. And on most teams, the left guard gets help from the center as they slide the protection to the left, while the right guard is left on an island in pass blocking..."

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/05/ar...rds-overrated/
Old 08-17-2013   #59
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the link 76Texan. It was especially interesting to hear the author's thoughts about the center position being the easiest OLine position to master, with all of that talk we hear about how smart the guy who plays center is supposed to be. But then what is so hard about identifying where the MLB is in the defense and screaming out, "MIK is 56".
Here's a question though, why did the Cardinals put one of the mostly highly drafted offensive guards ever (Jonathon Cooper, # 7 overall in April), on the left instead of the right side of the center in their offensive line ?
Old 08-17-2013   #60
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Here's one of the pieces that I read:

"Ross Tucker knows more about offensive line play than me, you and 10 other fans put together. He played every position along the line during a seven-year NFL career that included 23 starts. So when he writes about offensive line play, it's worth paying attention. Add in the fact that he doesn't regurgitate conventional wisdom and his new stuff at SI.com becomes a must read.

To Tucker, all these megadeals that left guards have been getting, including Alan Faneca's recent $40 million deals make no sense, because as he sees it, left guard is the second easiest position on the line to play. He ranks left tackle as the toughest, followed by right tackle. But he sees right guard as the position that is underappreciated. The reason is that he believes most team's better interior pass rusher is lined up against the right guard. And on most teams, the left guard gets help from the center as they slide the protection to the left, while the right guard is left on an island in pass blocking..."

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/05/ar...rds-overrated/
Thanks for posting. After reading it, I am left wondering if this observation is not more sensitive to a team's offensive scheme rather than to the defenses it faces.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read