Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/17/2013, Game 2 vs Dolphins: Top 5 things you are interested in seei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Are they playing it like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I don't think so. Although this is technically their third preseason game, it should be played as if it's their 2nd. The Dolphins will have five preseason games so there's no reason to change anything.
Each team has their own situation.

Last week, for example, we played a few starters on Defense for a series or two: KJ, Mitchell, Reeds, (either Sharpton or Mays), while none of the Vikings starter played on the D.
Their offensive starters played all of two snaps, while our played longer - some more than others.

Due to injury, the Phins has been without their RG John Jerry.
Their whole own line is more in flux than ours, with a new LT while other guys have been moving around so their coaches can decide where to put them.

Some of their defensive players have been limited and will be out against us like Randy Starks, and the new first rounder Dion Jordan.
Their second round corner back is recovering from a sport hernia surgery last May; in his place, third round Will Davis will try to earn the starting job at #2.

Also, they made a lot of moves in the off-season, so their team is still lacking continuity on both sides of the ball.

Basically, we will have more of our ones on hand against them and we have more stability than the Phins overall.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/17/2013, Game 2 vs Dolphins: Top 5 things you are interested in seei

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Each team has their own situation.

Last week, for example, we played a few starters on Defense for a series or two: KJ, Mitchell, Reeds, (either Sharpton or Mays), while none of the Vikings starter played on the D.
While I agree that each team has their own agenda in the preseason, I disagree with your example. The Vikings played 7 starters on their defense:

DT Guion
MLB Henderson
OLB Mitchell
CB Cook
CB Robinson
SS Sanford
FS Smith
Old 08-17-2013   #43
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The Dolphins are in an unusual situation for preseason because they played in the annual HOF game in Canton and this then is their third of 5 preseasons games while most everybody else including the Texans is playing their second of 4 preseason games this weekend. Specifically, the Texans will probably play their starters about a quarter but how long should we expect to see Miami play their starters tonight ? I would think perhaps more than a quarter and if so that's a positive since some of our reserves would then get to go against a starting NFL unit while they wouldn't otherwise.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrimador View Post
Considering it's the third game for the Dolphins, i'm looking forward to seeing our 2's going against their 1's.
Quote:
Are they playing it like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I don't think so. Although this is technically their third preseason game, it should be played as if it's their 2nd. The Dolphins will have five preseason games so there's no reason to change anything.

The Dolphins are looking to test themselves against the Texans.....a team they feel will challenge them to "prove" their own starters.

From the Miami Herald this morning:

Quote:
Both the starting offense and defense will get their most work of the preseason Saturday. Philbin said the first-stringers will play at least the first quarter, and possibly more.

Every snap the stars are out there will be a chance to compare themselves to a playoff team from a year ago.

“On paper, you can probably look and say we’ve probably made some improvements, but I’m one of those guys where the proof’s in the pudding,” said defensive end Cam Wake. “Until you actually make something happen, it hasn’t happened yet.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think Matt will take a shot if it's there, but they're not going to be trying to push the tempo or dictate a whole lot. We know who Matt is & we know what Matt's going to do through November at least. What we really want to know about Matt Schaub won't be answered in August.

I want to see if Cushing's presence helps the OLBs... Miami is already working through issues on their OL, they should go off this game.

I want to see Cierre Wood push for the #2 RB spot. Yup, I said it.

For that to happen, the 1st & 2nd team OL needs to step the fk up.
Old 08-17-2013   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
While I agree that each team has their own agenda in the preseason, I disagree with your example. The Vikings played 7 starters on their defense:

DT Guion
MLB Henderson
OLB Mitchell
CB Cook
CB Robinson
SS Sanford
FS Smith
My bad; I made a list of players when Yates came in to compare with the list of players when Keenum came in, and I completely forgot about those who played against Schaub.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #47
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

It's game day.

Mitchell dominate
Keenum step up
Jefferson get to QB
Cushing lay someone out
Swearinger not miss a tackle
Old 08-17-2013   #48
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm interested in seeing the preseason end. It seems like each year it pisses me off more and more that the NFL makes us pay for 2 meaningless glorified practices with our season ticket packages.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #49
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i just want to see the first unit score TDs, we need to get out of this FG funk we were in at the end of last season.
Old 08-17-2013   #50
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I'm interested in seeing the preseason end. It seems like each year it pisses me off more and more that the NFL makes us pay for 2 meaningless glorified practices with our season ticket packages.
i agree, i wish we could get this cut down to two pre season games if that.
Old 08-17-2013   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm going to tread lightly here as not to piss anyone off....

But I think it was Bill Polian that made a good point. He said that the costs really balance out. As a season ticket holder the price is the same across the board...the price on all the tickets is the same. So you're paying the same for a pre-season game that you're paying for a high profile game against a good team.

He wondered if people would feel better about it if say a pre season ticket had $100 on it, but that Sunday night game against high profile team A had $350 on it.

Anyways, I just thought it was an interesting perspective.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm going to tread lightly here as not to piss anyone off....

But I think it was Bill Polian that made a good point. He said that the costs really balance out. As a season ticket holder the price is the same across the board...the price on all the tickets is the same. So you're paying the same for a pre-season game that you're paying for a high profile game against a good team.

He wondered if people would feel better about it if say a pre season ticket had $100 on it, but that Sunday night game against high profile team A had $350 on it.

Anyways, I just thought it was an interesting perspective.
I was going to post this but no offense he said it a little better than that. He said he wished they would stop printing any price on the tickets because what you are buying is a package of tickets of varying values. Yes the pre-season tickets are worth less but then right now there are tickets which would be sold for over "face value" as well. He's right. Right now you could probably draw a premium on Baltimore, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots and Broncos at least.
Old 08-17-2013   #53
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

What's even more disturbing is that ticket brokers are still selling preseason tickets at season prices.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #54
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I was going to post this but no offense he said it a little better than that. He said he wished they would stop printing any price on the tickets because what you are buying is a package of tickets of varying values. Yes the pre-season tickets are worth less but then right now there are tickets which would be sold for over "face value" as well. He's right. Right now you could probably draw a premium on Baltimore, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots and Broncos at least.
If I'm not a season ticket holder, go to the ticket office and want to buy a ticket to a preaseason game, will I be charged the full price, or a discounted "preseason" price? To me, that answers all the questions. It's ridiculous that preseason games are priced at the same level as regular season.

EDIT: I fully understand the "whole package" argument. But that should only apply to regular season. There you play "Jacksonvilles" and "New Englands", and those games certainly have different values. Preseason games are not anywhere close in value to the worst regular season game.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
If I'm not a season ticket holder, go to the ticket office and want to buy a ticket to a preaseason game, will I be charged the full price, or a discounted "preseason" price? To me, that answers all the questions. It's ridiculous that preseason games are priced at the same level as regular season.

EDIT: I fully understand the "whole package" argument. But that should only apply to regular season. There you play "Jacksonvilles" and "New Englands", and those games certainly have different values. Preseason games are not anywhere close in value to the worst regular season game.
This is a season ticket holder only issue. If you choose to go up to the ticket office and pay the face value that is on you. The ire is over having to buy them. Polian's point is value. Maybe the preseason tickets are worth nothing in the marketplace (although we have seen them go for most or full face value here) but then again you might get a 500% return on the Patriots which pays in total for the perceived lack of value of the preseason tickets.

You don't get to decide what is in the package. The Texans offer it, just like every other team in the league, for exactly what it sounds like - the whole season. People really should save their stress and look at it as they paid $1000 for the season.
Old 08-17-2013   #56
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't understand why team GM's and Head Coaches that get paid millions of dollars need 4 games to evaluate basically 10 roster spots. Its not a secret that you basically know who will be on your team except the bottom 10 spots on the roster each year.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
Old 08-17-2013   #57
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is a season ticket holder only issue. If you choose to go up to the ticket office and pay the face value that is on you. The ire is over having to buy them. Polian's point is value. Maybe the preseason tickets are worth nothing in the marketplace (although we have seen them go for most or full face value here) but then again you might get a 500% return on the Patriots which pays in total for the perceived lack of value of the preseason tickets.

You don't get to decide what is in the package. The Texans offer it, just like every other team in the league, for exactly what it sounds like - the whole season. People really should save their stress and look at it as they paid $1000 for the season.
I'm certainly not ever choosing to do that. Some people probably do, and I think they're getting ripped off, but you're right, it is at least partially on them. The true market value of preseason games is shown in the secondary market prices, where it's not uncommon to be able to get a ticket for $5-$10 in the upper deck and then just move to the empty seats in the lower bowl.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #58
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll have to say variable ticket pricing like the used by the Astro's or even worse the airlines is more infuriating.

I feel a lot better about preseason tickets now....

Only 7 hrs left.
Old 08-17-2013   #59
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

I am seeing more and more empty seats at these preseason games every year. The people who go for the most part are people that have been given tickets by their employers, friends, and by season ticket holders who have no interest in going.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
Old 08-17-2013   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't understand why team GM's and Head Coaches that get paid millions of dollars need 4 games to evaluate basically 10 roster spots. Its not a secret that you basically know who will be on your team except the bottom 10 spots on the roster each year.
The current structure of preseason games is more about tradition than anything else.

Back in the day:

1. GMs and Head Coaches didn't get paid millions of dollars. They didn't even get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.
2. Many of the football players had day jobs and in the offseason, they were working at their regular job. Being a football player didn't pay most guys enough to survive on. Because of that, they didn't keep themselves in shape and the coaches needed these games to get everyone back in shape.
3. You needed several games just to get everyone in shape and teach everyone your playbook and get them worked to a point that they could do the things you wanted them to do.

They don't need 4 preseason games, anymore. The players are in shape and know more about what they're doing and why, the coaches have more and better information.

But the owners still want those games because they make a bigger profit on them. The players don't get paid game-checks for preseason games so the owners have lower operating expenses for these games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read