Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2013   #581
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Our offense isn't really dink and dunk. Yeah we throw some short passes, but we stretch the field plenty.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #582
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133377 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Our offense isn't really dink and dunk. Yeah we throw some short passes, but we stretch the field plenty.
If our offense is dink and dunk so is New England's...and Denver's...anybody questioning them?
Old 08-17-2013   #583
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans' Hopkins content to do his talking on the field

By Brian T. Smith/chron.com

Quote:
"That's why I don't like doing interviews, honestly, right now," Hopkins said. "Because I haven't done anything on the field yet. I've got a lot of work to do. I don't want to talk myself up or anything."

Hopkins' grade on his debut: D. His take: "One preseason game."

"I really don't have any personal goals besides rookie of the year, which I would expect all rookies to have," Hopkins said. "Being on this team and knowing that they haven't got a championship, I just want to come in and contribute to be part of that."

"I don't think he's trying to be Andre Johnson," RickSmith said. "I think he's trying to be DeAndre Hopkins in a way that's authentic but shares similar characteristics with some of the things that make Andre great."

"All this is about the team," Hopkins said. "None of this is about me."

"This team is a lot of guys who just go out and work and don't do a lot of talking off the field," Hopkins said. "It just grows on you, how these guys are."
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
#Texans' DeAndre Hopkins on who's joined him in #Houston from South Carolina: "Nobody. This team is my family." #NFL

Chris Carter was DeAndre Hopkins' favorite wide receiver when he was growing up. Partly because of stats. Also because Carter played 16 years

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #584
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this during the game in response to a question about risk of subsequent concussions following a previous concussion. I was asked to re-post the information so that people could "hang their hat" on trying to sort out such a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Research suggests that if someone has already received one concussion, they are 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If they've had two concussions, then a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they've had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #585
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I posted this during the game in response to a question about risk of subsequent concussions following a previous concussion. I was asked to re-post the information so that people could "hang their hat" on trying to sort out such a situation.
Man, I can't believe Montana was able to play all those years.
Do you know whether all those concussions had started to show some kind of an effect on him?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #586
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Man, I can't believe Montana was able to play all those years.
Do you know whether all those concussions had started to show some kind of an effect on him?
Montana had 8 documented concussions. I've heard him speak of its life after football after effects. It only included head aches, minor visual difficulties and minor balance problems.......pretty minor after effects if that is all.
Old 08-19-2013   #587
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Montana had 8 documented concussions. I've heard him speak of its life after football after effects. It only included head aches, minor visual difficulties and minor balance problems.......pretty minor after effects if that is all.
I believed the Niners let him go even though Montana still wanted to play due to this reason?
Montana decided to keep playing and signed with the Chiefs right?
Do you think any team would have signed Montana in the present time?
I'm not sure his wife nor his agent would want him to continue playing knowing what we know today, would you agree?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #588
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I believed the Niners let him go even though Montana still wanted to play due to this reason?
Montana decided to keep playing and signed with the Chiefs right?
Do you think any team would have signed Montana in the present time?
I'm not sure his wife nor his agent would want him to continue playing knowing what we know today, would you agree?
Absolutely agree! I believe that even though Aikman was said to have many more, 8 is also the documented number. Aikman chose to retire after considering 2 factors.........back problems.........and number of concussions..........and that was before all the info was released re. concussions. Today, we will still see "informed" players, including QBs case the glory and the money despite the potential life-changing risk. In a 2011 piece I came across, Aikman to date states that he is not experiencing any sequellae from his concussions.....yet. Sort of interesting that Aikman pretty much has stayed neutral on the subject concerning today's players.
Old 08-22-2013   #589
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Hopkins was reported today as not having gotten out of "Phase I" of the Concussion Return to Play Protocol. Many of you may not be familiar with what these phases signify.

In brief, a player needs to complete five phases of exercise and recovery before taking the field. The phases consist of increasing levels of exertion:

I.Being symptom-free for 24 hours (essentially at total rest)

II.Performing light physical activity (e.g., walking) without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

III.Performing sport-specific activities (e.g., running) without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

IV.Participating in non-contact practice (e.g., sprinting, passing the ball, also weight lifting) without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

V.Participating in full-contact practice without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

If symptoms recur, the player must rest for 24 hours before resuming the process one step lower than when symptoms returned.

The report on Hopkins then fundamentally tells us that at rest, he is still exhibiting signs and/or symptoms of the concussion he sustained last Saturday.
Old 08-22-2013   #590
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

18 days to be cleared before Week 1. I think right now its best to keep him in Stage 1 and allow him to feel 100 percent like himself before he even thinks about stepping back on a practice field. There's no need to rush it at all. The Texans probably feel the same way.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #591
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I was about to ask about the stages the NFL uses, thanks for posting. MSR
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #592
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133377 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 08-23-2013   #593
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopkins was reported today as not having gotten out of "Phase I" of the Concussion Return to Play Protocol. Many of you may not be familiar with what these phases signify.

In brief, a player needs to complete five phases of exercise and recovery before taking the field. The phases consist of increasing levels of exertion:

II.Performing light physical activity (e.g., walking) without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

III.Performing sport-specific activities (e.g., running) without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

IV.Participating in non-contact practice (e.g., sprinting, passing the ball, also weight lifting) without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

V.Participating in full-contact practice without re-developing symptoms for 24 hours

If symptoms recur, the player must rest for 24 hours before resuming the process one step lower than when symptoms returned.

The report on Hopkins then fundamentally tells us that at rest, he is still exhibiting signs and/or symptoms of the concussion he sustained last Saturday.
Is this a screwed up way to make the pick of AJ more appealing?
Old 08-23-2013   #594
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

So what symptoms are we talking about? Are these symptoms he can easily hide, or is there some kind of objective measurement of them?
Old 08-23-2013   #595
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So what symptoms are we talking about? Are these symptoms he can easily hide, or is there some kind of objective measurement of them?
Well, his spot is locked down. He is the #2, so he has no reason to try to get back on the field for a preseason game.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #596
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Well, his spot is locked down. He is the #2, so he has no reason to try to get back on the field for a preseason game.
True but this being the PS game that's played closer to regular season games as far a time on the field for the 1's. It would have also helped Nuk get as close to "real bullet" practice as well as sharpening his timing with Matt being able to develop more on the field trust in him.

Just my way of thinking.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #597
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

As I previously posted before. This is not Hopkins' first concussion. Most are not aware that he sustained a concussion during an auto accident the end of 2011, just before the Orange Bowl. The handful of media that did report it, reported it as a "mild" concussion. They should have done a better job of investigating the incident. Despite the fact that he was allowed to play in the Bowl game within a week of the injury and did well, he did NOT sustain a "minor" concussion...........he sustained full loss of consciousness. Here is the eye witness account by his own receivers coach, Jeff Scott.

Quote:
Jeff Scott remembers the morning of Dec. 27, 2011 well.

All too well.

Scott, along with his wife Sara, was heading to Memorial Stadium to meet up with the rest of team. They were going to meet, pack up the buses, and head on the road to the 2012 Orange Bowl in Miami to face West Virginia.

That’s when the Clemson wide receivers coach saw a car crashed on the side of the highway.

That car belonged to then-sophomore receiver DeAndre Hopkins.

Scott and his wife were on a frontage road when they recognized the car to be Hopkins’ and they “got around there pretty quick” to arrive on the scene.

Scott got out of his car and braced himself for the worst possible news. After all, he didn’t know the severity of the accident. He didn’t know if Hopkins was hurt, or even worse, dead.

“When we got out of the car, the police detective was walking up to the car and it was one of those moments you don’t know what he’s about to tell you,” Scott said during a phone interview on Friday afternoon. “He told us he was OK. He was just really fortunate to be alive. It was definitely just a scary moment for all of us.”

And Hopkins was relatively fine. Scott said the policeman told him Hopkins was knocked unconscious but would be OK. Scott said the tires on the receiver’s car were worn too thin and he happened to hit a wet patch on the road. It was raining that morning, he recalled.
The sad thing is that the NCAA to this day, despite all the NFL emphasis and rules and protocols established for concussed players, does not have nor follow a truly standardized protocol for return to play. And if they had had one, there would have been no way the a player that had been totally knocked unconscious would have been allowed to play that early.............whether the concussion was sustained on the field or otherwise.

No matter how one wants to look at it, this is Hopkins' SECOND significant concussion, and he thus carries a 2-4 times chance of sustaining a third.
Old 08-23-2013   #598
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

At least we know Swearinger won't hit him in the helmet in practice.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #599
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
At least we know Swearinger won't hit him in the helmet in practice.
No, we only know he will be fined if he does. chuckle
Old 08-23-2013   #600
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
True but this being the PS game that's played closer to regular season games as far a time on the field for the 1's. It would have also helped Nuk get as close to "real bullet" practice as well as sharpening his timing with Matt being able to develop more on the field trust in him.

Just my way of thinking.
Of course, more practice is always good for a rookie. My point was that he has no reason to hide the effects of his injury.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read