Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013   #321
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Most of you guys who think Case would get scooped up are the same people who thought Case would get scooped up last year if we put him on our PS (B-b-b-b-b-but he threw for so many yards in NCAA!). Case Keenum is a short and old QB (For being in only his second year) who played in what is thought of nationally as a gimmicky Houston scheme in college.

So now that he's spent a year on a PS, here come the "You have to put him on the roster or he'll be gone!" crowd again and it sounds just as dumb now as it does then. The bit that Carr Bombed said about NY probably picking him (I'm assuming the Jets here) is doubly retarded and pretty much throws out the window that Rex Ryan has a Mark Sanchez fetish that is both unexplainable and undeniable. Seriously, a guy who has this as a tattoo:

Is going to start picking up practice squad QB's so that he can find a replacement. While simultaneously talking down the 2nd round QB his team picked.
Old 08-15-2013   #322
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak:

Quote:
(on what he wants to see out of QB Case Keenum) “I just think we continue. Obviously, he’s got another game plan that came at him this week. He’s got more to digest. Can he go handle that with the group like he did last week? He’s probably going to play against a little bit different level of competition from the standpoint of when he goes into the football game this week against Miami. You’re just looking for him to progress like any other player.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #323
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to see Case will get a chance against Miami's 2s. I think a lot of questions will be answered, depending of course how he does.

And since TJ is going against the 3s, he should supposedly kick their butts. It will be interesting to see them both.

Yeah, I'm a big Case Keenum fan boy, don't mistake that for a second. But if he isn't going to make it, if he doesn't have what it takes, well then say good bye Case and get another QB. Schaub needs to be replaced sooner or later anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #324
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Most of you guys who think Case would get scooped up are the same people who thought Case would get scooped up last year if we put him on our PS (B-b-b-b-b-but he threw for so many yards in NCAA!). Case Keenum is a short and old QB (For being in only his second year) who played in what is thought of nationally as a gimmicky Houston scheme in college.

So now that he's spent a year on a PS, here come the "You have to put him on the roster or he'll be gone!" crowd again and it sounds just as dumb now as it does then. The bit that Carr Bombed said about NY probably picking him (I'm assuming the Jets here) is doubly retarded and pretty much throws out the window that Rex Ryan has a Mark Sanchez fetish that is both unexplainable and undeniable. Seriously, a guy who has this as a tattoo:

Is going to start picking up practice squad QB's so that he can find a replacement. While simultaneously talking down the 2nd round QB his team picked.
No what's "doubly retarded" is your asinine assuptions (and you know what they say about assuming). Please show me where in the hell I ever said the Jets would pick up Case to replace Sanchez? Ill save you time.. it wasn't ever mentioned. Some poster asked why another team would sign him.. I said, because there are teams that have bad QB play/depth and then listed examples. No where did I ever imply that Case would be picked up to replace another team's starter or even their backup. And excuse me for not putting it past a coach who actually traded a draft pick for a QB who can't even throw.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-15-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #325
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

b0ng,

I was not one of those who thought Keenum wouldn't clear waiver last year.
The way Kubiak hid him by not giving him many opportunities as well as putting Beck ahead of him was telling.
Also, Keenum had to learn the playbook as well as working on his footwork from under center.

The other three QBs had several legs up on him since all of them were already very familiar with the WCO.

This year is a different story, and it is still early to call anything.
But if Keenum continues to show like he did against the Vikings, the odds are good, IMO, that another team will be interested in him.

Another example of an UDFA being picked up by another is John Parker Wilson.
When the Falcons cut him during pre-season2012, the Jags signed him.

Earlier this year, when the Jags cut him, the Steelers took him the next day.

So yeah, there have been UDFA QBs claimed by other teams.

I've noted two so far (and I wasn't even looking, just kinda stumbled on it.)
I'm sure if I start to look, I will find many more.
I'm quite confident of that, so would like to propose a bet? LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #326
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Kubiak:
Quote:
(on what he wants to see out of QB Case Keenum) I just think we continue. Obviously, hes got another game plan that came at him this week. Hes got more to digest. Can he go handle that with the group like he did last week? Hes probably going to play against a little bit different level of competition from the standpoint of when he goes into the football game this week against Miami. Youre just looking for him to progress like any other player.
Would it be safe to infer Tj was asked to do "more" last week than Keenum was?

In all honesty, if I were a HC, completions & first downs & TDs are all nice, but in the preseason I want to know can he or can't he run my offense. In the regular season I hope to not have him out there with my 2,3,4 receivers, 3 LG, 5 RT, 4 TE....

In the film room it's going to be, "This is what I saw, this would have been the right thing to do. But you decided to do that.... explain."

He can say, "But coach, I threw a TD" or "We kept the chains moving" & I'd cut him.....
Old 08-15-2013   #327
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In the film room it's going to be, "This is what I saw, this would have been the right thing to do. But you decided to do that.... explain."

He can say, "But coach, I threw a TD" or "We kept the chains moving" & I'd cut him.....
I think this is exactly right. Not saying Case isn't doing the right things, but I think this is probably more how it goes behind the scenes.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #328
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Would it be safe to infer Tj was asked to do "more" last week than Keenum was?

In all honesty, if I were a HC, completions & first downs & TDs are all nice, but in the preseason I want to know can he or can't he run my offense. In the regular season I hope to not have him out there with my 2,3,4 receivers, 3 LG, 5 RT, 4 TE....

Yep. I think you're pretty dead on about that.

When some of us fans hear about how well Case did going off-schedule, it's like... Yeah! That's what we need! A guy who performs when the play breaks down!

But that's probably NOT what Kubiak is saying at all. The play probably went off schedule because Case didn't do what Kubiak wanted him to do. That's not a good thing to be doing if you want to stay on the team, regardless of how successful you happened to be on those plays.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #329
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

When some of us fans hear about how well Case did going off-schedule, it's like... Yeah! That's what we need! A guy who performs when the play breaks down!

But that's probably NOT what Kubiak is saying at all. The play probably went off schedule because Case didn't do what Kubiak wanted him to do. That's not a good thing to be doing if you want to stay on the team, regardless of how successful you happened to be on those plays.
I think that's been thunderkyss's point this entire thread, and a lot of people seem to disagree with him about that.

(at least that's how I've read what he's saying)
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #330
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I think that's been thunderkyss's point this entire thread, and a lot of people seem to disagree with him about that.

(at least that's how I've read what he's saying)
ThunderKyss had a point?

Old 08-15-2013   #331
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I think this is exactly right. Not saying Case isn't doing the right things, but I think this is probably more how it goes behind the scenes.
Quote:
I agree with both of you.

Case is going to have to answer those questions to Kubiak's liking.... chances are he did & that's what earned him a shot with the 2nd team.

At the same time, I'm sure Kubiak liked what he saw on all the off-scheduled stuff. He expected that Case would have to go off schedule, just like he'll expect Tj to go off schedule (& if McGee gets field time), & see what happens.

Schaub probably wouldn't have performed as well as Case did with the 3s & 4s.... but Schaub is higher on the depth chart.
Old 08-15-2013   #332
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
b0ng,

I was not one of those who thought Keenum wouldn't clear waiver last year.
The way Kubiak hid him by not giving him many opportunities as well as putting Beck ahead of him was telling.
Also, Keenum had to learn the playbook as well as working on his footwork from under center.

The other three QBs had several legs up on him since all of them were already very familiar with the WCO.

This year is a different story, and it is still early to call anything.
But if Keenum continues to show like he did against the Vikings, the odds are good, IMO, that another team will be interested in him.

Another example of an UDFA being picked up by another is John Parker Wilson.
When the Falcons cut him during pre-season2012, the Jags signed him.

Earlier this year, when the Jags cut him, the Steelers took him the next day.

So yeah, there have been UDFA QBs claimed by other teams.

I've noted two so far (and I wasn't even looking, just kinda stumbled on it.)
I'm sure if I start to look, I will find many more.
I'm quite confident of that, so would like to propose a bet? LOL!
Two more UDFA QBs picked up by another team: Alex Tanney and Aaron Corp.

Kellen Moore, a shorter and smaller QB, with a much weaker arm than Keenum (just watch some of his college game tapes and you will see what I mean - he also played in a spread system), on the other hand, looks like the #3 QB for the Rams this year.
Another UDFA QB, Austin Davis, has been promoting to #2 (he played in CUSA.)

The Falcons made UDFA Dominique Davis a third stringer last year.

Those were just some names I found for last year alone.
So yeah, UDFA QBs make NFL roster more often than people think.
Old 08-15-2013   #333
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you just coming up with a scenario or are you saying this is probably happening in real life?

Because if you guys are saying this is likely what's really happening, I couldn't disagree more.

Kubiak isn't going to elevate a guy to run with a higher group if he's not doing things that he likes. He's not going to give case a shot with the two's if he can't even do the right thing with the threes. You earn opportunities like this.

Btw, not all coaches are like how you describe. Plenty of coaches say if you make a mistake make it going 100 mph. Meaning, don't let a mistake during a play affect your effort.
If you have a guy making a mental error you could easily have kubiak chewing him out but praising him for making something out of it.

But it's a big assumption anyways that he's making a bunch of mistakes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #334
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I bothered to look up Aaron Corp because his name sounded familiar (the swim through Dallas was it) ...probably not a good example of an UDFA "making it"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Corp
Old 08-15-2013   #335
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I bothered to look up Aaron Corp because his name sounded familiar (the swim through Dallas was it) ...probably not a good example of an UDFA "making it"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Corp
My bad, there, LOL!

Any rate, if Corp doesn't make the Dolphins final roster, Pat Devlin will; he's another UDFA.
Old 08-15-2013   #336
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

since 1990 or so the two UDFA QBs to truly make it have been Kurt Warner and Tony Romo (want to say there is 3rd legitimate starting guy I am missing)

And yes there are a handful of UDFA who make the final 53 every year, but most of those

1) Never take a meaningful snap
2) start as in case of emergency break glass
3) and prove to not be significant in the NFL

If Case Keenum winds up as a billy Volek (long term career back-up) or Ryan Fitzpatrick (oops actually drafted in the 7th) then he personally has bet the odds and should be applauded.
Old 08-15-2013   #337
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
since 1990 or so the two UDFA QBs to truly make it have been Kurt Warner and Tony Romo (want to say there is 3rd legitimate starting guy I am missing)

And yes there are a handful of UDFA who make the final 53 every year, but most of those

1) Never take a meaningful snap
2) start as in case of emergency break glass
3) and prove to not be significant in the NFL

If Case Keenum winds up as a billy Volek (long term career back-up) or Ryan Fitzpatrick (oops actually drafted in the 7th) then he personally has bet the odds and should be applauded.
Jake Delhome, Jeff Garcia are two names I can think of.
Old 08-15-2013   #338
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Are you just coming up with a scenario or are you saying this is probably happening in real life?

Because if you guys are saying this is likely what's really happening, I couldn't disagree more.

Kubiak isn't going to elevate a guy to run with a higher group if he's not doing things that he likes. He's not going to give case a shot with the two's if he can't even do the right thing with the threes. You earn opportunities like this.

Btw, not all coaches are like how you describe. Plenty of coaches say if you make a mistake make it going 100 mph. Meaning, don't let a mistake during a play affect your effort.
If you have a guy making a mental error you could easily have kubiak chewing him out but praising him for making something out of it.

But it's a big assumption anyways that he's making a bunch of mistakes.
All I'm saying is that we don't know what's being said in that QB room.

The plays that some of us are getting all excited about where he went off schedule might not be plays that Kubiak is happy about. That doesn't mean that Kubiak isn't happy with some other plays.

We don't know.

Case getting a chance to play with the 2's might be more an indication of Kubiak's displeasure with TJs development than an indication that he thinks Case is all that and a bag of chips. It might be that Kubiak is trying to get someone to step up. Lord knows, Kubiak has been on both of them for not playing that great this week in practice.
Old 08-15-2013   #339
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Jake Delhome, Jeff Garcia are two names I can think of.
Delhomme works..Garcia was weird in that he sent 3 or 4 years in Canada before signing. think that is still fine since it is not like there are a ton other "Canadian" QBs (warren Moon of course) who have come back to the US and made an impact.
Old 08-15-2013   #340
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Those were just some names I found for last year alone.
So yeah, UDFA QBs make NFL roster more often than people think.
Was that the question? I wouldn't have thought anyone doubted UDFA QBs would make NFL rosters.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read