Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should start if Matt decided not to play another down?
Tj Yates 9 9.38%
Case Keenum 48 50.00%
Schaub can't do that 10 10.42%
May the best man win 29 30.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2013   #141
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
you can't just call keenum a fluke just because he shattered records on a C-USA team and his size and didn't get drafted. nobody can at this point because he hasn't played an nfl game.
And you can't say he's a great NFL QB, because he hasn't played an NFL game.

I'm not anti-Case, but damn the guy gets a lot of love here.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #142
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post

who said he was an nfl great qb? not me. matter of fact, I don't mind at all if he's 3rd. It took Schaub 3 years to start.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #143
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I know, right!

Which is fine to a certain extent. The one's saying he's actually competing against Schaub and might/will be his eventual replacement take it to a different level.

But hey, at least we aren't having a QB situation like the Jets. lol
Old 08-14-2013   #144
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
TPN, look at teams like the Panthers and the Skins.

They adapted their offense to Newton and RG III.

Remember the knock about Newton; how he never play under center in college (but I counted at least 17 plays that he was under center.)

Case played under center more than that in his Freshman year, but the Cougars eventually went away from that; they still use Keenum under center occasionally in his last two years, similar to how Newton was used or RG III was used.

If Kubiak had decided to mimic Shannahan, Keenum would be the guy who is most comfortable in that system, more so than Schaub or Yates.
Look at what I originally said.

Most of those guys IN THE PAST who came into the NFL failed. Most of them failed because they needed to have the offense tailored to what it was they could do. MOST OCs aren't going to do that.

In the past couple of years, we've had a few instances of coaches changing their offenses to accommodate some of these system QBs: RGIII, Cam, Tebow. But most OCs are not going to do that OR if they do, they're going to try to revert back to the offense they want as soon as they get that QB up to speed.

We have yet to see any of those system guys hae a long and successful career in the NFL. There's no way I expect Kubiak to shift to that sort of system. He doesn't need to. For CASE to be successful, he has to become the perfect system QB for KUBIAK's system.

I think it's possible that he does but it's too early to say that he has. Let's let him play a few more games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #145
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Look at what I originally said.

Most of those guys IN THE PAST who came into the NFL failed. Most of them failed because they needed to have the offense tailored to what it was they could do. MOST OCs aren't going to do that.

In the past couple of years, we've had a few instances of coaches changing their offenses to accommodate some of these system QBs: RGIII, Cam, Tebow. But most OCs are not going to do that OR if they do, they're going to try to revert back to the offense they want as soon as they get that QB up to speed.

We have yet to see any of those system guys hae a long and successful career in the NFL. There's no way I expect Kubiak to shift to that sort of system. He doesn't need to. For CASE to be successful, he has to become the perfect system QB for KUBIAK's system.

I think it's possible that he does but it's too early to say that he has. Let's let him play a few more games.
I agree.
Old 08-14-2013   #146
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I know, right!

Which is fine to a certain extent. The one's saying he's actually competing against Schaub and might/will be his eventual replacement take it to a different level.

Schaub's the man period, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Keenum brings some fun because he's had success and is the young hard working guy. It's all good for the team.
Old 08-14-2013   #147
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you can't just call keenum a fluke just because he shattered records on a C-USA team and his size and didn't get drafted. nobody can at this point because he hasn't played an nfl game. a fluke would be a jamarcus russel, tim couch, or troy smith. Keenum hasn't gotten to that point where he's had any chance to prove anything
You're the one who said that the fact that he set such records MEANT something. It doesn't. It doesn't mean he can make it in the NFL.

A lot of QBs have put up great numbers in college in failed.

To be a fluke, Case has to prove that he's not one of those guys. He has to prove that he's not Colt Brennan.

I'm not one of the guys saying that Case can't do that. But he hasn't done it, yet. Until he does it, I'll be rooting for him but I'm not expecting him to be a great QB because of those collegiate performances.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #148
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You're the one who said that the fact that he set such records MEANT something. It doesn't. It doesn't mean he can make it in the NFL.

A lot of QBs have put up great numbers in college in failed.

To be a fluke, Case has to prove that he's not one of those guys. He has to prove that he's not Colt Brennan.

I'm not one of the guys saying that Case can't do that. But he hasn't done it, yet. Until he does it, I'll be rooting for him but I'm not expecting him to be a great QB because of those collegiate performances.
yeah it means something. doesn't mean it will transfer to the nfl. but to call him a fluke (like what some people say) at this point isn't fair.
Old 08-14-2013   #149
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Keenum was:

2-1 against B12
1-0 against SEC
1-0 against B10
1-1 against P12

Winning or split records in each case.

TJ
So Keenum played 3 games against the Big 12, 1 against the SEC, 1 against the Big 10 and two against the Pac 12 in his five years with UH? I'll stick with what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
He wasn't consistently beating SEC or Big 12 teams in college.
Quote:
And if the SEC/B12 brewed the finest QB's by default
Jamarcus and VY would have been competing in the
superbowl last year -- Not Flacco (Div I-AA) or
Kapernic (Mtn. West)
I wasn't arguing that those Conferences had the finest QB play, but they are the highest level of collegiate football.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #150
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
who said he was an nfl great qb? not me. matter of fact, I don't mind at all if he's 3rd. It took Schaub 3 years to start.
Some people on here are already anointing him Schaub's replacement.
It wasn't directly in response to you, more just playing off your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I know, right!

100% agree. At least people here are getting worked up over the backup spot and we're not looking for a solid starting QB.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #151
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The biggest plus that I see with Keenum is _exactly_ the largest
weakness I see with Schaub and Yates.

Keenum chose the largest stages to perform at the highest level.
He was amazing in games against ranked teams (in college) when
UH was a heavy underdog.

I can think of at least 3 games in particular where UH was a
double-digit dog and he threw excellent percentages and had
very few turnovers. .. Many times on the road no less..
(You can probably find his game against #5 Ok. St. in
Stillwater on youtube)
TJ
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313370248
Old 08-14-2013   #152
thitch
Rookie

I think that is the only game Keenum lost in Houston as the starter.
thitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #153
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Watch the game and you can judge if he was the primary
reason for the loss (punt block return for TD, etc.)

Also, I'm guessing Kubiak isn't going to tell his team that he's
leaving to coach another team during the half-time of the
AFC championship game...

Case did follow that up by beating Penn St. (a higher ranked and
regarded team than So Miss) two weeks later in the bowl game
while having a completely different head coach install a game plan..

TJ

speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #154
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watch the game and you can judge if he was the primary
reason for the loss (punt block return for TD, etc.)

Also, I'm guessing Kubiak isn't going to tell his team that he's
leaving to coach another team during the half-time of the
AFC championship game...

Case did follow that up by beating Penn St. (a higher ranked and
regarded team than So Miss) two weeks later in the bowl game
while having a completely different head coach install a game plan..

TJ
Penn State was certainly not dealing with it's own "issues" at the time.

Look I like Keenum, but to say that he does great in all of the big games is a tad bit erroneous.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293390151
Old 08-14-2013   #155
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

You truly can't win them all, but this loss wasn't on him..
(or even mostly on him).

Clutch receivers dropped passes early, special teams failures,
Sumlin's coaching escapades, all served to contribute.

The only "big game" that I can point to that was all on
Keenum was the second Armed Forces bowl in 2009.

But in terms of "Clutchness" between Yates, Schaub and Keenum
-- it's not even close when "the big game" is what you're
looking at..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Penn State was certainly not dealing with it's own "issues" at the time.

Look I like Keenum, but to say that he does great in all of the big games is a tad bit erroneous.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293390151
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #156
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Some people on here are already anointing him Schaub's replacement.
It wasn't directly in response to you, more just playing off your post.
yeah, def case and tj have a long way to go to be starters. but there's a chance that schaub goes down and we have 2 capable qb's to take over.
Old 08-14-2013   #157
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if it means anything that I voted "may the best man win".

The cream will rise to the top.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #158
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know if it means anything that I voted "may the best man win".

The cream will rise to the top.
That's my theory too. I have no loyalty other than what's best for the franchise. Don't want to go through the HWSNBN years again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #159
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some people on here are already anointing him Schaub's replacement...
Not just on here.

John McClain has been saying for weeks that Kubaik is grooming Keenum as Schaub's replacement. I don't think he's getting that from the short order cook at The Waffle House.
Old 08-14-2013   #160
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Not just on here.

John McClain has been saying for weeks that Kubaik is grooming Keenum as Schaub's replacement. I don't think he's getting that from the short order cook at The Waffle House.
Given that the short order cook is John's best contact to the Texans at this point, yeah he probably is getting it from him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read