Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2013   #1
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Watt lobbying to play Offense

Quote:
Are the Houston Texans preparing to add a hulking chess piece to the offense?

Defensive end J.J. Watt is badgering coach Gary Kubiak for the chance to line up on the opposite side of the ball.

"I've been lobbying since Day 1," Watt said Tuesday, per the Houston Chronicle. "It hasn't worked yet, so I don't think it's going to work anytime soon, but it's (Kubiak's) team."

Watt spoke of playing in a jumbo "Wisconsin" package alongside tight ends (and former Badgers) Owen Daniels and Garrett Graham. But that personnel grouping remains a myth for now, according to their coach.
More at the link
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #2
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Watt lobbying to play Offense

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand I think he could be effective in Goal line packages, but with his elbow injury I don't know if I'd tempt fate.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #3
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the reward would be worth the risk. Stick to killin' QBs JJ!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I think this could be very effective inside the 5.

I'm also getting deja-vu, & I don't think this is the first time we've talked about it. Must've been a thread this time last year.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not interested in having Watt's knees the target of some DBs spear-tackle.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I started to post this yesterday but was concerned I'd get booed out of town for being the messenger. I vote no way! The article indicates Watt joking and so was Kubiak's response
Old 08-14-2013   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Not interested in having Watt's knees the target of some DBs spear-tackle.
I hear ya, but what if it really IS effective and we need 5 yards to win THE SUPERBOWL?....or to get there...

Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2013   #8
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, if we need JJ to line up as a TE then we have truly selected our actual TE's poorly.

Putting JJ in as a decoy would probably be effective once or twice only.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Ain't happening.
Old 08-14-2013   #10
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I started to post this yesterday but was concerned I'd get booed out of town for being the messenger. I vote no way! The article indicates Watt joking and so was Kubiak's response
I'm not lobbying for Watt to play offense at all. I just saw this and I thought it was worth the discussion.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Chuck Bednarik, on playing both ways:

Quote:
“For what my generation did and went through and so forth, and what these glamor boys earn for what little they play, it’s a joke. Is it football? Are you guys football players? Is that what they call football? It’s not iron-man football, where you stay on the field for 60 minutes. Everybody! We were iron men. Not a bunch of pussyfoots.”
For anyone who has seen the movie, I always read this quote in Wally's voice from Necessary Roughness LOL.
Old 08-14-2013   #12
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to me this would be fixing a problem we didn't have. Watt would likely only be used inside the 5.

On all drives where we were inside the 5, they were converted into touchdowns as follows:
Team Rate
MIA 1/2
JAX 2/2
DEN 1/1
TEN 1/1
NYJ 0/1 (3rd goal from the 5)
GB 2/2
BAL 3/3
BUF 2/2
CHI 1/2 (failure was 3rd goal from the 5)
JAX 3/3
DET 1/1
TEN 2/2
NE 2/2
IND 1/1
MIN 0/1
IND 0/0

CIN 1/2 (3rd and 3 from the 4)
NE 2/2 (one was a 4th down conversion)

Overall 30 trips inside the 5 with 26 touchdowns. I don't know what the overall conversion rate is, but it doesn't seem like a problem.

caveat: Assuming I counted right
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Seems to me this would be fixing a problem we didn't have. Watt would likely only be used inside the 5.

On all drives where we were inside the 5, they were converted into touchdowns as follows:
Team Rate
MIA 1/2
JAX 2/2
DEN 1/1
TEN 1/1
NYJ 0/1 (3rd goal from the 5)
GB 2/2
BAL 3/3
BUF 2/2
CHI 1/2 (failure was 3rd goal from the 5)
JAX 3/3
DET 1/1
TEN 2/2
NE 2/2
IND 1/1
MIN 0/1
IND 0/0

CIN 1/2 (3rd and 3 from the 4)
NE 2/2 (one was a 4th down conversion)

Overall 30 trips inside the 5 with 26 touchdowns. I don't know what the overall conversion rate is, but it doesn't seem like a problem.

caveat: Assuming I counted right
Well, assuming those numbers a right, and I don't really doubt it, you've got a very good point.

PS-smartypants.

Old 08-14-2013   #14
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Get inside the 5, call a 2 FB package, have Greg Jones go in and block, then hand it off to JJ and let him punch it through!!
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Obviously, JJ can also catch & block. JJ has quicker, faster (paler) Refrigerator Perry written all over him.

Old 08-14-2013   #16
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 12626 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ was talking about this subject this morning. I really don't see the need for it, but hey, I can clearly see it working as well. I wouldn't rule it out completely, especially if for some reason we're struggling on the goal line but, I don't see that happening either (knocks on wood).
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Honestly, I see this as something to pull out in a playoff game against a very stingy D, not something to showcase every week.

Old 08-14-2013   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's not like it would be too unprecedented, watt played a little TE in college and star defenders get some time in goalline situations. haloti ngata is the first to come to mind. i dont think we'll see it, but the biggest thing adding watt to the offense does is create confusion. all of a sudden you have a "hey, he's not supposed to be there" problem on defense and it becomes a distraction ... is he the focus? a decoy? do we have to change cover assignments?

that being said, we have 3 capable tightends already on the roster and two receivers who are effective in the redzone. it would be fun, but completely unnecessary.
Old 08-14-2013   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Reminds me of Gronk playing ST. Let's just not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #20
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 79596 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh no thanks, too big a risk to our BEST DEFENDER.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read