Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should start if Matt decided not to play another down?
Tj Yates 9 9.38%
Case Keenum 48 50.00%
Schaub can't do that 10 10.42%
May the best man win 29 30.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2013   #81
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Rmartin, remember how we exchanged ideas about different receivers during the draft period.

We can do the same here.
Watch the game and tell us what you think are flaws with Keenum as compared with Yates as well as what they were good at.
Watched the game, and I don't see much of a difference in terms of talent between the two. As a result, if I had to pick the roster today I would choose Yates, due to experience and height. However, the competition is not over. Hopefully Keenum gets a shot with the two's next week.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #82
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you satisfied with my answers?
I'm not gonna quote that whole thing, but it looks like you put some time into that.

Well done and well said.

Expected to get hated on now because you have "bias" though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #83
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder how that number would look if the poll was in the North Carolina Gazette.
I'm 15 miles from Carolina's Keenan stadium and I voted Case in our poll. That probably doesn't answer your question, but it does suggest that it's not all about alma mater.

Comparing the 2's collegiate careers Case was more prolific. I'm not sold on height as a factor worth caring about. I'd love to have Brees or Flutie.. both WINNERS. So far, from what I've seen, and as someone already eluded to, given T.J.'s pro experience so far, if he was so good, he shouldn't even be allowing us to have this debate.. period. I could very well agree with others that I wouldn't want either being the starter if it came down to it, but I've seen enough to know that's for sure with T.J. I'd rather take a flyer on someone who has yet to show their ceiling. For now, in the Case vs. T.J. discussion, my choice is Case.
Old 08-13-2013   #84
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
What about the thousands of UDFA that are not in the league.
What about the thousands of folks who DID get drafted who didn't make their team?

It's like Kubiak is always saying, drafted high, drafted late, or not drafted at all, it's what you do on the practice field that gets you playing time.... at least as far as he's concerned.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #85
ArTex
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Tj Yates: From North Carolina, been running "our" system for at least 4 years.
This is actually just Yates's 3rd year now, only ran the system for 2 years.

( If you count postseason as another "season", then Yates has been around 4 seasons )
ArTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #86
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTex View Post
This is actually just Yates's 3rd year now, only ran the system for 2 years.

( If you count postseason as another "season", then Yates has been around 4 seasons )
His college ran an offense based on our system but I'm not sure for how long but we know it's at least 2 years. So he's had from 4-7 years in our system, depending on how long the Tarheels have been running an offense based on ours.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #87
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't really prove anything, but sounds about the way they've played between last year and so far this year. Especially Yates

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1h
"They're both doing some good things and they're both doing some bone head things." - Kubiak on Yates and Keenum over 2 days w/out Schaub.
Old 08-13-2013   #88
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Doesn't really prove anything, but sounds about the way they've played between last year and so far this year. Especially Yates
Wouldn't you expect a 3rd player to do fewer bone head things and more good things than an UDFA from a spread offense that is the opposite of the system the Texans run? That's more of an indictment of Yates than a boost for Keenum.
Old 08-13-2013   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Wouldn't you expect a 3rd player to do fewer bone head things and more good things than an UDFA from a spread offense that is the opposite of the system the Texans run? That's more of an indictment of Yates than a boost for Keenum.
I know it's hard to believe, but I am not biased towards Tj... but he looked fine. The only thing he did that I didn't care for, was that sack. That was bone headed & there should be zero tolerance for crap like that.

But QBs come out too amped up all the time... that's usually why they throw the ball high (at least that's what I've heard). Or they come out out of sync, or cold, or whatever you want to call it. They have to work through that all the time (& I'll say the same for Keenum if he has that issue next week). It's a good thing, & something you want to know, to see Tj worked through it & turned in a pretty respectable game. He got in a rhythm & made some good throws.

The offense looked pretty much like Schaub was running it. & I know that's a bad thing for most of us here, but we average in he high 20s when Schaub is under center & low teens when Tj from 2011 is under center.

If either Tj or Case can run the offense like Schaub, it's a good thing & their play making ability is a plus.

Watch for Case to pull the ball down early & "make something happen" as fans, that's some good football. As the guy who drew up the plays, not so much. We're not going to be able to decide who will be our back up going into the season. The guy who drew up the plays will.
Old 08-13-2013   #90
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What about the thousands of UDFA that are not in the league.
What are the odds we all will win the lottery ? But a lot of us play it anyways
Old 08-13-2013   #91
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know it's hard to believe, but I am not biased towards Tj... but he looked fine. The only thing he did that I didn't care for, was that sack. That was bone headed & there should be zero tolerance for crap like that.

But QBs come out too amped up all the time... that's usually why they throw the ball high (at least that's what I've heard). Or they come out out of sync, or cold, or whatever you want to call it. They have to work through that all the time (& I'll say the same for Keenum if he has that issue next week). It's a good thing, & something you want to know, to see Tj worked through it & turned in a pretty respectable game. He got in a rhythm & made some good throws.

The offense looked pretty much like Schaub was running it. & I know that's a bad thing for most of us here, but we average in he high 20s when Schaub is under center & low teens when Tj from 2011 is under center.

If either Tj or Case can run the offense like Schaub, it's a good thing & their play making ability is a plus.

Watch for Case to pull the ball down early & "make something happen" as fans, that's some good football. As the guy who drew up the plays, not so much. We're not going to be able to decide who will be our back up going into the season. The guy who drew up the plays will.
The good ones don't. Just sayin.....
Old 08-13-2013   #92
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The good ones don't. Just sayin.....
Favre used to. Eli does, some times. Romo.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Favre used to. Eli does, some times. Romo.
Matt Schaub did for a whole season took him half a game to get his head right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-14-2013   #94
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a great example.

As good a QB that Tom Brady is today; he had to start somewhere.

It was quite humbling a start to be exact.

If you would rather take Doug Flutie as an example, I would be fine with it, too.
Flutie was nowhere as good as Keenum in college.

There, is that OK with you as far as comparison goes?
How about Timmy Chang, U of Hawaii? The guy that held the records Case broke. 6'2" 207lbs. Also an UDFA. Came from a spread system. How'd he fair? That's a more likely comparison than Brady; drafted, from a running system, big time college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #95
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
What are the odds we all will win the lottery ? But a lot of us play it anyways
In this case TJ has already won the lottery while is still playing scratch offs hahaha

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 08-14-2013   #96
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about Timmy Chang, U of Hawaii? The guy that held the records Case broke. 6'2" 207lbs. Also an UDFA. Came from a spread system. How'd he fair? That's a more likely comparison than Brady; drafted, from a running system, big time college.
How about the hundreds of QB's DRAFTED, a lot even in the 1st round that don't amount to a pile of crap? Nobody knows (not even the "experts") who can play in this league until they get on the field and do it.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #97
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly all this focus on him being a UDFA is pointless. Would have mattered his rookie season but this is his second year and that means the team re-signed him. In other words, his draft status means little to nothing at this point. The team liked something they saw in him to bring him back again and giving him more reps now than previously. So he earned whatever he's getting right at this moment.

Height also means little if you don't go through your progressions to utilize that vision you have of the field. Yates has been inconsistent in this aspect thus far though improve as the game went on. Despite his height he had passes batted down for a reason. He tends to lock onto a target and do the stare down.

So folks should focus more on what these two brings to the table in their skillset and understanding of the system. In the end I just want the best person for the job in case Schaub goes down though in truth I doubt either would be called upon to 'lead' the team in a way that we rely on them heavily. You're more likely to see more ball control and pounding the rock.

Both had solid games and it's better to have two choices than none.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #98
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
How about the hundreds of QB's DRAFTED, a lot even in the 1st round that don't amount to a pile of crap? Nobody knows (not even the "experts") who can play in this league until they get on the field and do it.
I've already said that. Along with the thousands of UDFA that havent amounted to crap.

You want a QB that is actually comparable, Timmy Chang is the guy.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2013   #99
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which is why I added "Especially Yates" at the end

In the end, my point is, neither are going to be good enough to be Schaub's eventual replacement.
Old 08-14-2013   #100
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've already said that. Along with the thousands of UDFA that havent amounted to crap.

You want a QB that is actually comparable, Timmy Chang is the guy.
If I have time, I'll look into this further.

For now, here's a quick comparison.

Keenum 19,217 passing yards on 2,229 attempts.
Chang 17,027 on 2,436.
Big difference.

Keenum 69.36 completion percentage.
Chang 57 per cent.
Another big difference.

Keenum's TD-INT ratio 155/46
Chang 117/80
Huge difference.

Keenum was a heck more accurate and efficient than Chang.
There's no comparison, really.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read