Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013   #281
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
From that link
Quote:
“We’ll probably talk about that on Thursday,” Kubiak said. “Like I said, my thought process right now is for Case to go second, so that I can get this thing evened out in the long haul. That’s part of the deal, but whatever happens, they’re going to end up playing right now.”
It has nothing to do with Case "looking" better than Tj. It's more like I said, you can not get a good read on how well Tj knows the play book with that bunch of raggamuffins (I say that in the nicest way) he was out there with. I doubt any of the plays went anywhere close to 80% of what they were supposed to.

The difference between Yates & Keenum is how well they grasp the play-book. When Schaub is in the game, we see 100% of the play book. When Tj came in 2 years ago we saw maybe 40% of the play book.

We're going to the Super Bowl this year. Kubiak wants to make sure he's done everything he can to make sure Case is just as prepared as Tj (100% of the play book) in the event we need him. No one is going to give Kubiak a pass if we don't win the AFC Championship game this year & he knows it.

If Case is the back up QB Sept 9, then I'll believe he's got an edge on Tj. Until then, he's trying to avoid a situation like 2011, the first time we should have won a Super Bowl.
Old 08-13-2013   #282
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
From that linkIt has nothing to do with Case "looking" better than Tj. It's more like I said, you can not get a good read on how well Tj knows the play book with that bunch of raggamuffins (I say that in the nicest way) he was out there with. I doubt any of the plays went anywhere close to 80% of what they were supposed to.

The difference between Yates & Keenum is how well they grasp the play-book. When Schaub is in the game, we see 100% of the play book. When Tj came in 2 years ago we saw maybe 40% of the play book.

We're going to the Super Bowl this year. Kubiak wants to make sure he's done everything he can to make sure Case is just as prepared as Tj (100% of the play book) in the event we need him. No one is going to give Kubiak a pass if we don't win the AFC Championship game this year & he knows it.

If Case is the back up QB Sept 9, then I'll believe he's got an edge on Tj. Until then, he's trying to avoid a situation like 2011, the first time we should have won a Super Bowl.
I meant that link to show the whole story, not what people heard. He said, she said is the worst way to diagnose a player. "Coach speak" is sooo much better. LOL
Old 08-13-2013   #283
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
It's obvious that Schaub IS able to do that (see Broncos game last year TD pass to Andre, the ball was in the air for 60 yds). We also heard the argument that he underthrows some of them on purpose. So, it could be that (underthrowing on purpose), or maybe he's just not able to do that consistently.

TD to AJ vs Broncos
That's only because of the Denver air. Schaub's long td passes are really more like Tue first one he threw to AJ. Schaub probably has the weakest arm of the three, with Case having the strongest.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #284
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
That's only because of the Denver air. Schaub's long td passes are really more like Tue first one he threw to AJ. Schaub probably has the weakest arm of the three, with Case having the strongest.
I would actually rank arm strength as Yates, Schaub, then Case. In all fairness, I haven't watched that much of Case. But I do remember "weak arm" was one of Case's weaknesses in draft profiles.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #285
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

during last year's preseason there was talk about arm strength regarding keenum's first real practices with the team. what i read was that in camp schaub had the strongest arm by a large margin, while yates was ok and keenum really needed to work on his velocity.

now this doesnt mean schaub can chuck it the furthest, and i'd have keenum as most accurate on the deep stuff, but when it comes to adding extra zip to fit it into a window schaub's still well ahead of the other two as far as i can tell.

you also have to remember that most of schaub's deep throws come from rollouts. it's much more difficult to be accurate and get the same distance when running out (usually left), stopping, and heaving. it'd be easier for him to lead andre more often in rhythm - 7 step drop, step up and throw.
Old 08-14-2013   #286
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I would actually rank arm strength as Yates, Schaub, then Case. In all fairness, I haven't watched that much of Case. But I do remember "weak arm" was one of Case's weaknesses in draft profiles.
Yeah people should stop going off of the draft profile (when he was injured) and go YouTube some videos of him at UH. That's where this rumor of Case having a weak arm came from and people just ran with it and continue to say it. Anyone who says it never has watched him play. I mean he is the NCAA all time passing leader.He easily has the strongest arm of the three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaltTgbUxV0

The ball was in the air for 60 yards in that video, without the help of Denver mile high air like Schaub. There are plenty of others too.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #287
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I still, to this day, don't understand where the "keenum has no arm strength" argument comes from.

His actual combine measureables showed he had a ball velocity equivalent to Joe Flacco -- a person that everyone considers to be some "mad bomber" throwing down field all of the time.

I could not find any specific numbers for Schaub, but Keenum had a fairly comfortable lead (3 mph) over Yates.

I would suspect that both Keenum and Yates can throw the ball harder than Schaub -- just by the eye test though.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #288
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah people should stop going off of the draft profile (when he was injured) and go YouTube some videos of him at UH. That's where this rumor of Case having a weak arm came from and people just ran with it and continue to say it. Anyone who says it never has watched him play. I mean he is the NCAA all time passing leader.He easily has the strongest arm of the three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaltTgbUxV0

The ball was in the air for 60 yards in that video, without the help of Denver mile high air like Schaub. There are plenty of others too.
Yup, I hear you. Like I said, the only Case I've watched is what I see during preseason, and he hasn't really had that much opportunity to showcase his arm.

At the same time, like what Scooter said, arm strength isn't all just how far can you throw the ball... Schaub's problem on deep balls may more be accuracy instead of arm strength.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #289
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

arm strength? there's so much to being a successful qb. yeah that was the knock on keenum at the combine. he was injured.

jamarcus russel throws bullets! what an arm. where'd he go?
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #290
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Old 08-14-2013   #291
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

HWSNBN had a LOT of arm-strenth, in spite of an odd throwing motion. Didn't do him much good unless AJ made some acrobatic, juggling dive for one of his bad, but better thrown passes.

That was the best part of watching HWSNBN: watching AJ try to catch that off-target crap, LOL.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #292
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Arm strength is not a limitation of any of our three quarterbacks. This conclusion is supported by plenty of evidence available online.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #293
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Arm strength is not a limitation of any of our three quarterbacks. This conclusion is supported by plenty of evidence available online.
I agree, while none of them has a cannon of an arm.
They had good enough arm to make the necessary throw in this offense.

Joe Montana was never known for his arm strength.

Brady and Brees don't throw that many deep passes either.
In fact, I've already submitted this stat a few times.
The percentage of passes thrown over 20 yards for Schaub, Brady, and Brees are within the vicinity of one another.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #294
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

The percentage of passes thrown over 20 yards for Schaub, Brady, and Brees are within the vicinity of one another.
Oh, crap! Now what do we talk about?
Old 08-14-2013   #295
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Oh, crap! Now what do we talk about?
My point is that unless you run a vertical attack, which is not what the WCO is about, you don't need your QB to have a cannon of an arm.

40 yard throw is good enough to keep the defense honest.
You want your QB to be able to direct the offense downfield methodically.
Short, safe throws that reduce the number of third and long.
Catch them off-guard here and there if they try to play close to the vest.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #296
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Brady was great at throwing deep balls when he had Moss around. Gronk is pretty good at getting downfield in a hurry but he's not Randy Moss. Here are his passing splits from ESPN from 2007:

Code:
BY PASS PLAY	CMP	ATT	YDS	CMP%	AVG	LNG	TD	INT	SACK	RAT	
Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage	65 	77 	510 	84.4 	6.62 	42 	1 	0 	0 	98.6 	
Pass Thrown 1-10 yds	236 	312 	2,071 	75.6 	6.64 	43 	23 	0 	0 	117.3 	
Pass Thrown 11-20 yds	69 	120 	1,113 	57.5 	9.28 	37 	11 	3 	0 	108.8 	
Pass Thrown 21-30 yds	15 	39 	490 	38.5 	12.56 	69 	7 	3 	0 	93.8 	
Pass Thrown 31-40 yds	6 	13 	256 	46.2 	19.69 	63 	3 	2 	0 	92.6 	
Pass Thrown 41+ yds	7 	17 	366 	41.2 	21.53 	65 	5 	0 	0 	128.1
I'm not ready to say that Brady has "lost his deep ball" or anything like that, but the Pats have pretty much ignored WR since 2007 (going by drafts anyway, I can't really think of a great WR that they've signed in FA since then, Danny Amendola I guess? Yikes).

Anyways I just wanted to point that out. I wonder what Brady could do with a 31 year old Andre Johnson. Probably really dirty things.
Old 08-14-2013   #297
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Man, I love this. We have a few questions at LB, WR and DB but the biggest story of TC is backup QB. This is so much better than years past. It's amazing what a couple of winning seasons and playoff wins do for a team and its fan base.

The only downside I see is that our #1 draft pick can completely suck as a rookie and it won't make much of a difference. Hmmmm...maybe that's not such a downside after all.

Ain't it though?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #298
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
HWSNBN had a LOT of arm-strenth, in spite of an odd throwing motion. Didn't do him much good unless AJ made some acrobatic, juggling dive for one of his bad, but better thrown passes.

That was the best part of watching HWSNBN: watching AJ try to catch that off-target crap, LOL.
Kind of like Hopkins had to go up to catch the TD pass from Yates.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #299
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, this is how I see things.

1. When Schaub was out because of death in the family, TJ/Case looked ungood.

2. Today they looked particularly ungood. Like this sort of stuff.

TJ was ugh yesterday, Case was ugh today. Actually it was an ugh day for the entire offense.

3. Kubiak wants to make it a real competition. By flipping Case and TJ in their reps but giving them similar amounts of reps. But he really wants folks to know not to read too much into it.

So there you go. I am not buying the hype on anyone.

All 3 QBs look better than last year. Which is the bigger story.

None of the backups
Old 08-14-2013   #300
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
FWIW, this is how I see things.

1. When Schaub was out because of death in the family, TJ/Case looked ungood.

2. Today they looked particularly ungood. Like this sort of stuff.

TJ was ugh yesterday, Case was ugh today. Actually it was an ugh day for the entire offense.

3. Kubiak wants to make it a real competition. By flipping Case and TJ in their reps but giving them similar amounts of reps. But he really wants folks to know not to read too much into it.

So there you go. I am not buying the hype on anyone.

All 3 QBs look better than last year. Which is the bigger story.

None of the backups
Your thoughts on how they did vs Minnesota?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read