Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

For those who don't venture into the Training Camp thread...

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Quote:
Wade Smith LG for #Texans got a knee scope per Kubiak.
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Quote:
Kubiak: As for Wade Smith, will know in 3-4 days where he is at. Had scope on knee this a.m.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
...Ben Jones is now starter.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

I'm shocked.

Old 08-13-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wish we could have some consistency on oline but it does allow others to get work. Hope to see Q get some additional work on left.
Old 08-13-2013   #4
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

We've been pretty healthy at O-Line for a couple of years now compared to most teams. I'm just glad it happened at this point in the season. Get it cleaned up and get ready to roll a month or so from now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm shocked.

We were already specifically told that Wade had a "knee bone bruise," which in of itself is bad enough. Now he has undergone a scope, for whatever reason, which signifies that there was definitely additional damage present. The fact that bone bruises are commonly associated with damage to other adjacent knee structures is why I posted what I did on his injury originally.........none of these associated injuries plays well to a more favorable prognosis or quicker recovery.

Today, Dougherty reports that the Texans described Smith as having a "deep bone bruise."

The deeper the bone bruise signifies greater damage to the involved bone and greater likelihood of significant associated injuries.

[Original post over 1 week ago]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is what I was concerned about with Brooks direct knee impact injury. A patella (knee cap) bone bruise can becoming a nagging injury leaving the player unable to participate due to lack of range of motion and often very intense pain. Furthermore, it is not unusual to be associated with damage to the adjacent bursae, fat, patellar ligament or the posterior cartilage surface of the patella. An accompanying small chip fracture or stress fracture of the patella is also not uncommon. Especially, even if a tiny stress fracture is present, if not addressed with an 8-10 week healing rehab period, there is long term concern that another blow to the knee could break the knee cap in two because of the quadriceps muscle pulling from above while the patella tendon pulling from below during flexion of the knee. This would require major surgery with at least a 3-4 month period prior to returning to play.

An MRI will have been already performed to diagnose the bone bruise. The Texans would know at this point if and how much collateral damage may exist. Patella bone bruises alone are bad enough in that depending on how severe, it could take months (up to a year in some cases) to completely heal, barring further trauma to the area. Rest and rehab of several weeks would not be out of order for even a modest bone bruise. However, as it stands now, if that is the case, I would guess that the Texans would push Wade to the limits of his pain threshold in order to get him back on the field as soon as possible. In doing so, it would not be surprising to see a significant performance drop off and/or setback.

In that the reports only say bone bruise of the "knee," this could also apply to bone bruise to the lower femur bone or upper tibia bone which are considered part of the knee. When bone bruises occur in load-bearing bones such as the tibia and femur, avoidance of weight-bearing for significant periods (depending on severity of the bruise) is extremely important to reduce the extension of the damage and significant prolongation of recovery.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Smith ✔ @Smitty74allday

My surgery went well. I appreciate everyone's calls, texts, thoughts, prayers, & well wishes 4 a speedy recovery. Be back before you know it
12:15 PM - 13 Aug 2013

From Battle Red Blog
Old 08-13-2013   #7
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

We've dodged injuries so far, but it was inevitable that we would eventually have to deal with a few. This sounds worse than they initially led us to believe.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2013   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

As bad as it may sound, I'd rather see Wade down than many other players. The Texans can survive this and still be dominant.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We were already specifically told that Wade had a "knee bone bruise," which in of itself is bad enough. Now he has undergone a scope, for whatever reason, which signifies that there was definitely additional damage present. The fact that bone bruises are commonly associated with damage to other adjacent knee structures is why I posted what I did on his injury originally.........none of these associated injuries plays well to a more favorable prognosis or quicker recovery.

Today, Dougherty reports that the Texans described Smith as having a "deep bone bruise."

The deeper the bone bruise signifies greater damage to the involved bone and greater likelihood of significant associated injuries.

[Original post over 1 week ago]
CnD,

I read the events and reports that they likely went into the knee to clean up torn cartilage and discovery to see what they fear: significant cartilage loss leading to something close to bone on bone, requiring the dreaded microfacture surgery... or constant pain and further deterioration... or retirement.

Correct me where I may be misguided.
Old 08-13-2013   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
As bad as it may sound, I'd rather see Wade down than many other players. The Texans can survive this and still be dominant.
I wanted to replace him anyway. Feel bad for him, I really do, but it is what it is.

I'd like to see Brooks next to the big guy... er, bigger guy & Ben Jones in Brisiel's spot.

But, I am intrigued by putting the Q next to Duane. More than likely it's going to be a rotation there with Ben & Quessenberry(sp).
Old 08-13-2013   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We were already specifically told that Wade had a "knee bone bruise," which in of itself is bad enough.
I've just adopted a rule of thumb when considering what the Texans medical staff reports. I just multiply the severity by 10. They're kind of like the Black Knight reporting a flesh wound.
Old 08-13-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

I have been pushing Q for OG and here is a link you might like to read:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/5/...couting-report

Quessenberry has long arms, left tackle length arms, and knows how to use them. You'll also notice, if you've an eye for it, a wider-than-normal stance, which helps him establish a stable, strong base to help with his leverage. Powerful Brandon Williams? Down. Athletic freak Margus Hunt? Blocked. Violent, physical Datone Jones? Shut down. Watch the practices for that blue helmet on the line and you see him keep at it.

2014 is where Quessenberry should begin to make his impact. If Houston feels he's progressing nicely, I can see them letting 32-year-old Pro Bowl guard Wade Smith's contract expire and penciling in Quessenberry as a starting guard with, presumably, Brandon Brooks. That's what the Texans do on the line: they keep young talent at the ready and move them up the chain. A potential multi-year starter from a sixth round pick? Tremendous value pick that could be the steal of the NFL Draft. Even if Quessenberry remains the top swing reserve lineman, that's still good value.
Old 08-13-2013   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

How long after the scope before he can practice again, Doc?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have been pushing Q for OG ...
Strictly based off draft reports, training camp reports, and one preseason game, I like the guy a lot. I think he can be the second best lineman at some point down the road.
Old 08-13-2013   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
CnD,

I read the events and reports that they likely went into the knee to clean up torn cartilage and discovery to see what they fear: significant cartilage loss leading to something close to bone on bone, requiring the dreaded microfacture surgery... or constant pain and further deterioration... or retirement.

Correct me where I may be misguided.
With a DEEP bone bruise, cartilage destruction is common, as are other tissue injuries. Virtually by definition, these players are destined to severe arthritis. But if the bones of the knee joint are involved as the bones of "deep bruise," acute damage to the cartilage may require removal of large fragments of cartilage, essentially denuding significant surface areas of apposing bones, in this case distal end of the femur to the proximal end of the tibia.............known as bone on bone. Separated cartilage fragments like these do not heal if attempts are made to "transplant" or "re-graft" them. So they are "cleaned up," i.e., removed. And, as much as has been made of micro-fracture surgery, it seldom solves any problems unless the denuded area is extremely small.........and then only temporarily. If he undergoes micro-fracture surgery for a limited area and it is considered successful, your would still not expect return to play for at least 6 months..........if ever.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 08-13-2013   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
How long after the scope before he can practice again, Doc?
It all depends on what the extent of damage and type of damage he has sustained....and what procedure(s) they truthfully performed during the scope.
Old 08-13-2013   #17
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

When will we get to the point where we can just 3D print some cartilage and shove it in there?
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It all depends on what the extent of damage and type of damage he has sustained....and what procedure(s) they truthfully performed during the scope.
Scary stuff

The word truthfully should never be used in the same sentence with the Texans medical staff.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Strictly based off draft reports, training camp reports, and one preseason game, I like the guy a lot. I think he can be the second best lineman at some point down the road.
I am hoping for 2014
Brown, Q , Ben Jones, Brooks and Newton backed by Williams will be the future. of course there will always be others either low draft picks or FA like Harris to fill in as back ups.
Old 08-14-2013   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
When will we get to the point where we can just 3D print some cartilage and shove it in there?
Computer manufactured 3D implants exist for many bony parts of of the body (I've used them for facial/skull and chest reconstruction). However, pieces of isolated joint cartilage are not replaceable.......when it gets to that point, both apposing surfaces must be replaced in substitution of bone and cartilage in the form of joint replacement.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read