Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013   #261
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes....

Just saying I think it's odd, that is a criticism of Schaub
Schaub's a big boy. He can handle it. Are you suggesting that such a critique is unfair, given that he's a 9-yr vet going into his 7th season with the same coach and system? Or are you suggesting that people should refrain from mentioning this quality when watching other QBs, in order avoid hurting Schaubie's feelings? Or maybe you just want us to leave Schaub alone.
Excuse me. I thought I knew what the word "odd" meant. Maybe I should've looked it up before I used that word. I probably should have used a word like unfair, inaccurate, harsh, or detrimental to his psyche..... wait-a-minute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Hitting receivers in stride is a hallmark of YAC. That's a very good thing that Keenum hit receivers short and they had more YAC. The WCO is predicated on that very dynamic. Having low YAC means the QB either held the ball to long or didn't lead his receiver properly.
So is Schaub hitting his guys in stride, or is he holding the ball too long & not leading his receiver..

(not you Doc, I'm asking eriadoc)
Old 08-13-2013   #262
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

After Yates looked terrible supposedly, Kubiak announced that Keenum was a go as 2nd for Miami game.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #263
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After Yates looked terrible supposedly, Kubiak announced that Keenum was a go as 2nd for Miami game.
Who said he looked terrible?
Old 08-13-2013   #264
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I love this. We have a few questions at LB, WR and DB but the biggest story of TC is backup QB. This is so much better than years past. It's amazing what a couple of winning seasons and playoff wins do for a team and its fan base.

The only downside I see is that our #1 draft pick can completely suck as a rookie and it won't make much of a difference. Hmmmm...maybe that's not such a downside after all.

Old 08-13-2013   #265
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who said he looked terrible?
The report was on 610 by one of the sportscasters who got his info during practice........I believe Ted Johnson. He stated that Yates was wildly missing receivers left and right and overthrowing many.

I should also mention that he reported that Swearinger had an absolutely unbelievable interception against Keenum.
Old 08-13-2013   #266
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The report was on 610 by one of the sportscasters who got his info during practice........I believe Ted Johnson. He stated that Yates was wildly missing receivers left and right and overthrowing many.
Yates had at least 3 balls batted down, 2 of them with him clearly locking on the receiver from the get go.

He missed Graham (a tall target) high on a short throw.

He took a sack at the 4-sec mark instead of throwing the ball away.

His TD pass to Hopkins was actually a hail-Mary.
Hopkins might have gotten away with a PI there to make that play for Yates;
He saved Yates' behind there.
Also, that was against a PS CB who probably won't make the roster unless one or two injuries happen.
Can Yates get away with a starting CB on that play?
He would be lucky it's not an INT; most likely, it's an incomplete pass.

So yeah, I don't think it was a good outing for Yates.

Last edited by 76Texan; 08-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #267
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So is Schaub hitting his guys in stride, or is he holding the ball too long & not leading his receiver..

(not you Doc, I'm asking eriadoc)
All of the above with the last two being more common than the 1st one.
Old 08-13-2013   #268
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yates had at least 3 ba batted down, 2 of them with him clearly locking on the receiver from the get go.

He missed Graham (a tall target) high on a short throw.

He took a sack at the 4-sec mark instead of throwing the ball away.

His TD pass to Hopkins was actually a hail-Mary.
Hopkins might have gotten away with a PI there to make that play for Yates;
He saved Yates' behind there.
Also, that was against a PS CB who probably won't make the roster unless one or two injuries happen.
Can Yates get away with a starting CB on that play?
He would be lucky it's not an INT; most likely, it's an incomplete pass.

So yeah, I don't think it was a good outing for Yates.
You need to fastforward to today. CnD was talking about at practice today. From what I heard, both QBs were stinking it up in practice while Schaub was dealing with family issues (Death in Family).

& if that's the way you "analyze" that TD, I'm starting to question if you know what you're looking at when you're looking at it.
Old 08-13-2013   #269
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You need to fastforward to today. CnD was talking about at practice today. From what I heard, both QBs were stinking it up in practice while Schaub was dealing with family issues (Death in Family).

& if that's the way you "analyze" that TD, I'm starting to question if you know what you're looking at when you're looking at it.
That's not entirely accurate. CnD posted that Yates looked bad and Keenum had an interception and that it was an "unbelievable" interception at that.

How do you go from
Quote:
Yates was wildly missing receivers left and right and overthrowing many.

I should also mention that he reported that Swearinger had an absolutely unbelievable interception against Keenum.
to both QB's were stinking it up? That sounds a lot more like Yates stunk it up and Swearinger made a helluva play to get an INT off of Keenum. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the report, but that's what was posted here.
Old 08-13-2013   #270
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That's not entirely accurate. CnD posted that Yates looked bad and Keenum had an interception and that it was an "unbelievable" interception at that.

How do you go from to both QB's were stinking it up? That sounds a lot more like Yates stunk it up and Swearinger made a helluva play to get an INT off of Keenum. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the report, but that's what was posted here.
I listen to the radio too. CnD is reporting what he heard, I'm reporting what I heard.
Old 08-13-2013   #271
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kubiak lumped both QBs when he answered the question.
He said they both did some things good, some bad.
I guess Yates didn't do as well, or it could be that it was Kubiak's plan to have Keenum going ahead in this game already (and Yates will likely take his turn in the third game.)

Hey, it wasn't just me that said Hopkins might have gotten away with a PI.
At any rate, what is the percentage of the chance that a starting CB miss-times his jump like Bobby Felder the Practice Squad player?
Remember that Hopkins had to go over the top of the CB to get that ball.
It means that both players, if they play their technique right, has a chance at the ball.
That's the definition of a Hail-Mary, isn't it?
Old 08-13-2013   #272
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard that neither looked good yesterday but Yates still looked bad today and Keenum looked good.
Old 08-13-2013   #273
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I listen to the radio too. CnD is reporting what he heard, I'm reporting what I heard.
Fair enough. My take on the TD pass from Yates to DH is that DH got away with offensive PI, as I think I know the rule. It's too dang confusing anymore to call that from my recliner.
Old 08-13-2013   #274
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Hey, it wasn't just me that said Hopkins might have gotten away with a PI.
At any rate, what is the percentage of the chance that a starting CB miss-times his jump like Bobby Felder the Practice Squa player?
Well... if you heard DeAndre's recollection of the catch, he said he knew he had 1 on 1, & their "rules" said if he had one on one on that play, Tj was going to throw it up for him to get it.

That's what Tj did. He wasn't trying to lead DeAndre, he wasn't trying to back shoulder throw it, he wasn't trying to throw the fade. He was just supposed to put enough air under it out in front of DeAndre & Hopkins was supposed to go get it. The only way that could have been a bad throw, was if it was thrown so far out of bounds that DeAndre couldn't possible catch it in bounds.

Even if the CB came down with the ball, Tj did what he was supposed to do.

Another way it could have been a bad throw would have been if there was some kind of disguised coverage & someone rotated back there & Tj didn't see him.
Old 08-13-2013   #275
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I heard that neither looked good yesterday but Yates still looked bad today and Keenum looked good.
Yesterday, it was reported that both QBs did not look particularly well.

But the bolded is what was reported on 610. I was simply trying to be fair by pointing out that Case was intercepted, even though it was reported that it was an unbelievable interception by Swearinger.
Old 08-13-2013   #276
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Let's say that it was an intentional pass; the location of the ball wasn't quite there.
The CB actually was in a better position than Hopkins.
Again, what do you think the chances are against a starting CB?

To my understanding, when the CB is ahead of the receiver, the ball is supposed to be thrown short, not over the top.
Old 08-13-2013   #277
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Fair enough. My take on the TD pass from Yates to DH is that DH got away with offensive PI, as I think I know the rule. It's too dang confusing anymore to call that from my recliner.
PI is like a strike zone. Some umps call'em tight. Some call a wide zone. You never know until you're halfway through the game. Sometimes they let them play, sometimes they don't. The ref didn't call it, or anything like it that game, so I'm going with wasn't a PI.

Also, from the training camp thread.
Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans

"They are both doing good things. They are young. What an opportunity for 2 kids. It is really competitive." - Coach Kubiak on Yates/Keenum
Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN

"They're both doing some good things and they're both doing some bone head things." - Kubiak on Yates and Keenum over 2 days w/out Schaub.
Quote:
With all the talk about Yates vs Keenum, it was glaringly apparent after 2 days, this team is in bad shape without Matt Schaub.#texans
& like I said, on the radio there was some talk about how bad Schaub was & the guys (Koch & Kalu.... then Palilo later) was saying how bad off the Texans would be considering what they saw/heard over the last two days.
Old 08-13-2013   #278
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
PI is like a strike zone. Some umps call'em tight. Some call a wide zone. You never know until you're halfway through the game. Sometimes they let them play, sometimes they don't. The ref didn't call it, or anything like it that game, so I'm going with wasn't a PI.

Also, from the training camp thread.
& like I said, on the radio there was some talk about how bad Schaub was & the guys (Koch & Kalu.... then Palilo later) was saying how bad off the Texans would be considering what they saw/heard over the last two days.
Straight from the Texans. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...9-44ab1ff2b141
Old 08-13-2013   #279
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Let's say that it was an intentional pass; the location of the ball wasn't quite there.
The CB actually was in a better position than Hopkins.
Again, what do you think the chances are against a starting CB?

To my understanding, when the CB is ahead of the receiver, the ball is supposed to be thrown short, not over the top.
That's one of those no read plays. If it's one on one, Tj tosses it up. His mind is made up before the ball is snapped, doesn't matter where the CB is. He has to trust that Hopkins is going to be there.
Old 08-13-2013   #280
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's one of those no read plays. If it's one on one, Tj tosses it up. His mind is made up before the ball is snapped, doesn't matter where the CB is. He has to trust that Hopkins is going to be there.
That's the essence of that play. I agree that it's the right call. The pass could've been located better but it was the right call.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read