Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2013   #561
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
2006 Eric Moulds 57 rec.
2007 Kevin Walter 65 rec.
2008 Kevin Walter 60 rec.
2009 Kevin Walter 53 rec.
2010 Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones 51 rec. each
2011 Kevin Walter 39 rec.- without Schaub for a third of the season.
2012 Kevin Walter 41 rec.

Not seeing where Kubiak's system keeps WRs not named AJ below 40 rec.

Also I think it is more than a little absurd to think they drafted Hopkins and are going to turn around and treat him just like Walter.
Were these guys rookies?
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #562
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
BTW, for those who think I am being meanly dismissive of A. lelei

never caught more than 54 ( was a high YPA catch dude though) and was gone after 4 season with 3 years under 40 catches. Basically, was a 1st round bust.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...L/LeliAs00.htm
So it did happen.
It is possible for a first round draft pick not to have too many catches in Kubiak's system.
It's not just a possibility; it's a fact.
Old 08-13-2013   #563
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

DeAndre Hopkins is 73" HT; 33.08" arms; 10.08" hands, 36" vertical jump

Hopkins size gives him distinct advantage over all DBs. However the dinks & dunks, quick out, quick slant over the middle neutralize much of D's advantages against defensive backs and makes Hokins much less effective. In order for DeAndre to be at his best and to take advantage of DB's he must play in space.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #564
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So it did happen.
It is possible for a first round draft pick not to have too many catches in Kubiak's system.
It's not just a possibility; it's a fact.
The difference with LeLee(sp) & Hopkins is that LeLee was a one trick pony. Go routes & that's about it, & his hands were questionable.

Hopkins isn't a burner, so where Ashley only got thrown to on quick slants & go routes, Hop is going to get more targets on all kinds of other routes.

That said, the thing that makes me think he won't come close to KDub's receptions, is that Schaub is pretty conservative. Instead of risking a bad throw at a guy he don't trust, he'll toss it in the stands, or move to his next read.

If there was someone within 5 yards of Jacoby, Matt wasn't throwing him the ball. I don't know what his comfort zone is going to be with DeAndre, but I doubt it's going to be as tight as what he had with Walter... Walter could have a guy drapped on him & Matt would still throw the ball at him.

So we'll see.
Old 08-13-2013   #565
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Bust!!!
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #566
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77198 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Bust!!!
Bustin' TD's ALL OVER DB's faces. CHYEAH!
Old 08-13-2013   #567
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
DeAndre Hopkins is 73" HT; 33.08" arms; 10.08" hands, 36" vertical jump

Hopkins size gives him distinct advantage over all DBs. However the dinks & dunks, quick out, quick slant over the middle neutralize much of D's advantages against defensive backs and makes Hokins much less effective. In order for DeAndre to be at his best and to take advantage of DB's he must play in space.
What?

It's hard reading some of these posts sometimes, I swear.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #568
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
What?

I think what he's saying, is that Hopkins isn't going to run past anyone. He's going to catch the ball, but so did KDub, without Hopkins' advantages. But he's going to have to catch the ball in space to take advantage of his play making ability.

I don't necessarily agree with that. But that's what he's saying.

I think.
Old 08-13-2013   #569
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just say that is way more important to see how HC Kubiak WRs number 2 have performed with the Texans than how OC Kubiak used a bust 1st round pick 10-12 years ago...see this thread in January.
Old 08-13-2013   #570
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I just say that is way more important to see how HC Kubiak WRs number 2 have performed with the Texans than how OC Kubiak used a bust 1st round pick 10-12 years ago...see this thread in January.
I'm not convinced that Kubes knows what to do with a legit #2 WR. His version of the WCO seems to revolve around a #1 WR, TE, RB progression with a #2 WR being 4th, at best, on the list. Hopefully, having a legit #2 WR will expand his play calling to where AJ will be a decoy on more plays and allow the #2 (whether it's DH or KM) to make more plays to keep the D guessing. That should only help to serve the Texans and individual stats.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #571
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm not convinced that Kubes knows what to do with a legit #2 WR. His version of the WCO seems to revolve around a #1 WR, TE, RB progression with a #2 WR being 4th, at best, on the list. Hopefully, having a legit #2 WR will expand his play calling to where AJ will be a decoy on more plays and allow the #2 (whether it's DH or KM) to make more plays to keep the D guessing. That should only help to serve the Texans and individual stats.
I think it depends on the make-up of the team in a given year.

First off, when the Broncos won their two SBs with Elway,
they had a balanced attack, but not a lot of depth at receiver in one year, so Ed McCaffey had 45 catches on year and 64 the next.

But he also had 4 great years for them as a 6'5 target, with 64, 69, 71, and 101 catches.
The year he had 100 catches, R White had 101.

So, it looks like he goes with the flow, depending on the players he has on the roster.
Old 08-13-2013   #572
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

they had a balanced attack, but not a lot of depth at receiver in one year, so Ed McCaffey had 45 catches on year and 64 the next.

But he also had 4 great years for them as a 6'5 target, with 64, 69, 71, and 101 catches.

So, it looks like he goes with the flow, depending on the players he has on the roster.
MSR. My concern is that it's been too many years since he had a legit #2 and has gotten stuck in his ways. Only time will tell, I guess. Good points, though. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2013   #573
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
MSR. My concern is that it's been too many years since he had a legit #2 and has gotten stuck in his ways. Only time will tell, I guess. Good points, though. Thanks for the info.
I don't think our offense starts with Andre as the #1 option every time. Depending on who's where & what the defense is doing, Andre may be the first read, OD the second, Arian the third. On others, KDub may have been the first.

But I think there were so few matchups or situations he could count on Walter to beat, that Schaub forced the ball to Aj or OD a lot.

With DeAndre, hopefully he'll see more of those options & he won't check to the draw on 3rd & long nearly as often.
Old 08-13-2013   #574
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think our offense starts with Andre as the #1 option every time. Depending on who's where & what the defense is doing, Andre may be the first read, OD the second, Arian the third. On others, KDub may have been the first.

But I think there were so few matchups or situations he could count on Walter to beat, that Schaub forced the ball to Aj or OD a lot.

With DeAndre, hopefully he'll see more of those options & he won't check to the draw on 3rd & long nearly as often.
It will be interesting, to say the least, to see how the season unfolds with the talented young WR corp we have behind AJ.
Old 08-13-2013   #575
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just to pile on with this, McCaffery had multiple 1000 yard seasons. And here's the kicker, Rod Smith had 1000 yards many of those same seasons.

A true #2 can flourish in this offense... along with a great TE.

With Kubiak as the OC, that Denver offense was top 10 in both points and yards 8 out of 11 years and only out of the top 10 in points ONE season.

I think Kubiak has been patching this offense together from scraps giving all the talent picks in the draft to the Defense trying to prop up a string of bad coordinators. Now he's finally been able to draft a weapon for his offense.

I'm expecting big things.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #576
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think Kubiak has been patching this offense together from scraps giving all the talent picks in the draft to the Defense trying to prop up a string of bad coordinators. Now he's finally been able to draft a weapon for his offense.

I'm expecting big things.
Agreed
Old 08-14-2013   #577
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Let's hope we can put AJ in the HOF.
Old 08-14-2013   #578
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think what he's saying, is that Hopkins isn't going to run past anyone. He's going to catch the ball, but so did KDub, without Hopkins' advantages. But he's going to have to catch the ball in space to take advantage of his play making ability.

I don't necessarily agree with that. But that's what he's saying.

I think.
Hopkins is 73" in height, that is taller than almost all DBs = advantage in height. Hopkins has 33" arms and that is almost 2" inches longer than most DBs = advantage in reach. Hopkins has 10" hands = advantage to catch the ball. Hopkins has a 36" vertical leap, plus his height, plus his reach = a distinct advantage when he is in position to use his superiors and that is when he has the opportunity to separate from the DB.

However if Nuk's route assignments are dinks, dunks, quick slant or out (Kubiak's short passing game) that allows the DB to give DeAndre Hopkins a Prostrate Exam while at the same time defending against the pass, Nuk is not going to be nearly as effective and closer to average and mundane. I think you will find that Nuk will be much more successful on 10-12yd PLUS routes. I hope I did a better job this time at explaining my thoughts.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #579
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Hopkins is 73" in height, that is taller than almost all DBs = advantage in height. Hopkins has 33" arms and that is almost 2" inches longer than most DBs = advantage in reach. Hopkins has 10" hands = advantage to catch the ball. Hopkins has a 36" vertical leap, plus his height, plus his reach = a distinct advantage when he is in position to use his superiors and that is when he has the opportunity to separate from the DB.

However if Nuk's route assignments are dinks, dunks, quick slant or out (Kubiak's short passing game) that allows the DB to give DeAndre Hopkins a Prostrate Exam while at the same time defending against the pass, Nuk is not going to be nearly as effective and closer to average and mundane. I think you will find that Nuk will be much more successful on 10-12yd PLUS routes. I hope I did a better job this time at explaining my thoughts.
I'm still not sure what you've been trying to say, not for a lack of trying.
My opinion is that Hopkins will see plenty of under a
Old 08-16-2013   #580
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see this posted anywhere and thought it deserved some discussion...

Quote:
(on following up on the last game performance) If I graded myself, Id give myself a D honestly. Ive got a lot I can improve on and I can come back and do a lot better than I did.
8/15 Quotes on HT.com

I love this. This is the right attitude. Sounds like he's getting a strong dose of AJ and not letting things go to his head.

Hope he's not just blowing smoke...
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read