Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should start if Matt decided not to play another down?
Tj Yates 9 9.38%
Case Keenum 48 50.00%
Schaub can't do that 10 10.42%
May the best man win 29 30.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2013   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
It's got nothing to do with hate, and I am not seeing any personal attacks. People simply want the best players on the team, as we are fans of the team. To some of us, it seems that others (though certainly not all) are letting their school allegiance cloud their judgment.

To be fair, everyone gets man-crushes at some point. And it is not like Keenum is some scrub- the kid can play. So while I agree with you to an extent, I try not to let it bother me. It just makes it hard to talk objectively about the situation, though it is certainly possible.
Rmartin, remember how we exchanged ideas about different receivers during the draft period.

We can do the same here.
Watch the game and tell us what you think are flaws with Keenum as compared with Yates as well as what they were good at.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'd be interested in what you saw that Keenum did wrong in the last game.
I don't think we've seen Keenum in a position to "really" run this offense. The guys he was playing with didn't give him a lot of time, or a lot of targets. We saw that he's got it enough upstairs to compensate for that (which is a good thing) & whatever negatives he had pre-draft aren't going to stop him from being succesful in this league.

I'm looking forward to seeing him with the first/second team in the next game (even though Miami's first/second team defense is going to be better than what we saw from Minnesota).

I've got no problem with people being excited about Keenum. The only thing that bugs me is when they tear down Tj. I'm not a fan of either of them, I want the better of the two to get the opportunity to be one play away from the big game (even though I doubt Kubiak will go with the best option, I feel he's going to go with more experience).

Tj looked really good out there to me, in command of the offense & running it the way the big guy wants it ran.

Expecting Tj to throw the ball better than he did last year, or whatever is not what we should be expecting from Tj. If he's improved from last year, or the year before, it's going to be in his grasp of the play book. & only Gary, Matt, & Keenum can judge that (we simply don't have enough information).

The gap between Yates & Keenum is in their command of the playbook. Not their physical ability, both have the talent needed to be successful in this league. For them, it's the mental aspect that's separates them from starters.
Old 08-12-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
To be fair, everyone gets man-crushes at some point. And it is not like Keenum is some scrub- the kid can play. So while I agree with you to an extent, I try not to let it bother me. It just makes it hard to talk objectively about the situation, though it is certainly possible.
I'll tell you a good thing about finding someone like Keenum, smart enough to play the game, & with enough physical tools to do it, is that Kubiak is able to take his time developing him, where he wouldn't have that time with a first or second round pick.

Keenum can be exactly the same player he is today, but if we took him with a second round pick, it would be insane around here.
Old 08-12-2013   #64
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder how that number would look if the poll was in the North Carolina Gazette.
Um, probably not that much different.. Yates was highly scrutinized and was booed by his home fans through out his college career.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #65
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
At least they aren't making up flaws as they type.

I haven't seen anybody here claim Case is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady. What I see is people wanting a better backup than TJ Yates and hoping Case can be that guy. And then eventually take over for Schaub down the road.
I think the poll results say they (27 people at this time) want Case to be the #2 regardless. While 19 say "may the best man win".

Who gives a spit where he played? (not directed at you)

Give me the best guy on the field, 2nd best holding the clipboard, and a "maybe someday" on the PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #66
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll tell you a good thing about finding someone like Keenum, smart enough to play the game, & with enough physical tools to do it, is that Kubiak is able to take his time developing him, where he wouldn't have that time with a first or second round pick.

Keenum can be exactly the same player he is today, but if we took him with a second round pick, it would be insane around here.
Can you imagine if VY had been our pick? Some folks around here would still want him to be the QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #67
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we've seen Keenum in a position to "really" run this offense. The guys he was playing with didn't give him a lot of time, or a lot of targets. We saw that he's got it enough upstairs to compensate for that (which is a good thing) & whatever negatives he had pre-draft aren't going to stop him from being succesful in this league.

I'm looking forward to seeing him with the first/second team in the next game (even though Miami's first/second team defense is going to be better than what we saw from Minnesota).

I've got no problem with people being excited about Keenum. The only thing that bugs me is when they tear down Tj. I'm not a fan of either of them, I want the better of the two to get the opportunity to be one play away from the big game (even though I doubt Kubiak will go with the best option, I feel he's going to go with more experience).

Tj looked really good out there to me, in command of the offense & running it the way the big guy wants it ran.

Expecting Tj to throw the ball better than he did last year, or whatever is not what we should be expecting from Tj. If he's improved from last year, or the year before, it's going to be in his grasp of the play book. & only Gary, Matt, & Keenum can judge that (we simply don't have enough information).

The gap between Yates & Keenum is in their command of the playbook. Not their physical ability, both have the talent needed to be successful in this league. For them, it's the mental aspect that's separates them from starters.
Keenum says he dint grasp ****.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Can you imagine if VY had been our pick? Some folks around here would still want him to be the QB.
I'm watching him in GB right now. Still looks competent, made some nice throws, a couple of good runs.... he can hand the ball off like a mutha... Looks better than that Harrell guy they had out there, but there's no way he knows the playbook as well.

Watching this, I can imagine some GB fans (or a bunch of fanboys posing as GB fans) arguing that Vince is ahead of Graham, and there's no way.

True, they brought him in to push Harrell, they want a better option behind Aaron Rodgers, but if Vince doesn't make major strides learning that playbook, he won't make the team.

Same thing here. I don't know how anyone could have seen enough to have an opinion of how much of the playbook Case knows. Half the guys out there were probably thinking they were running the plays right, but weren't. All together, they probably "knew" enough to run 30% of the playbook right, if that much.

We don't "know" anything about his grasp of the playbook, or his ability to manage this offense & won't until he plays with the 1s&2s. Anyone saying different is selling something.
Old 08-12-2013   #69
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Um, probably not that much different.. Yates was highly scrutinized and was booed by his home fans through out his college career.
Not so much his senior year.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #70
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Same thing here. I don't know how anyone could have seen enough to have an opinion of how much of the playbook Case knows.
I'm gonna go with only ONE GUY here that can form an opinion on how much CK has a grasp on the playbook and that the HC. Kubiak is on record countless times since mini-camp saying that Keenum has a grasp on what's going on, knows the playbook and can now just go out there and play without thinking. As a football simpleton and as naive as I am I have a tendency to believe that what Kubiak is saying is more than mere 'coach speak'.

Granted, I don't have a clue as to what I'm watching but I *think* I watched #7 chuck three TD passes in a very short period of time. Granted Maehl stone handed two of 'em at two separate pylons but they were both right on the money, right in his hands and they both appeared to me to be very catchable. Looked kinda like a couple of those oft' talked about 'off schedule plays'.

I'm gonna (in my best Spencer Tillman voice) "hold my water" for the present but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #71
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

The reasonable thing to assume is that we're in big trouble if Schaub isn't available. Keenum looked average against the 4th worst defense's 3rd stringers. He showed "escapability", but he also showed sloppy mechanics and below-average arm strength (it would be ironic to see Schaub bashers drooling over Keenum).

TJ looked like TJ...meh.

In terms of the back-up competition, remember that Uncle Bob likes a good story. If it's even remotely close, Keenum is getting the job.
Old 08-12-2013   #72
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
He showed "escapability", but he also showed ... below-average arm strength (it would be ironic to see Schaub bashers drooling over Keenum).
Can you actually name some plays which demonstrate this or are you just reciting reputation?
Old 08-12-2013   #73
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
I'm a little surprise that you're so totally against Keenum.
He's the anti-Schaub that you seem to like; I guess you want a superstar right off the bat.

Let me just remind you that Brady was only 1-3 for six yards in his rookie year.

He had an up-and-down sophomore season, winning the SB with 145 yards passing. The Rams were a 14-pt favorite; only 3 turnovers did them in.

He then accumulated a career low 85.7 QB rating in his third year.
You are taking one example of a QB who's been with one of the best orgs and coach since day 1 to make a point that case keenum, woahfully undersized, and UofH hopeful to make the roster and lead the texans to a dream team.

- undersized
- not great arm strength
- not great mobility, but better than what we are used to.
- spread QB

What's there really to like about this kid at this point in his career? He doesn't seem to have the "it" factor.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #74
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
And look at the update on the poll at the Chronicle website.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/

58% percent of the voters think Keenum deserves the second spot while only 7% think that Yates gets the nod.

That's a huge margin.
Hmm a local town kid against an non local town kid.. shocker that Keenum is ahead in the voting..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #75
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Can you actually name some plays which demonstrate this or are you just reciting reputation?
An obvious one would be the TD pass to Jean. It floated for what felt like 10 seconds and almost didn't get there. Yes, it was a bootleg to the left, but that's no excuse.
Old 08-13-2013   #76
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
An obvious one would be the TD pass to Jean. It floated for what felt like 10 seconds and almost didn't get there. Yes, it was a bootleg to the left, but that's no excuse.
If you mean an obviously wrong conclusion then you are correct. That ball and play went exactly as intended. Almost didn't get there? - Hopkins had to use his ups to go get the ball.
Old 08-13-2013   #77
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72763 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He floated it because there was a defender in his grill trying to knock it down.

3 passes indicate he has good arm strength - Jean's facemask boink, the sneaky one that hit Griffin in between two defenders, and the near-sack he avoided and gunned to Jean while going out of bounds.
Old 08-13-2013   #78
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't one of yall buy the ALL-22 (all 22 angles) package from NFL.com? I really want to in order to make points and use video proof for backing, but downloading, then uploading videos is gonna take forever, plus the cost.

I don't know why I thought that package was gonna be free coming into this year.

Either way, this debate should hopefully get some clarification Saturday evening.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
You are taking one example of a QB who's been with one of the best orgs and coach since day 1 to make a point that case keenum, woahfully undersized, and UofH hopeful to make the roster and lead the texans to a dream team.
It was a great example.

As good a QB that Tom Brady is today; he had to start somewhere.

It was quite humbling a start to be exact.

If you would rather take Doug Flutie as an example, I would be fine with it, too.
Flutie was nowhere as good as Keenum in college.

There, is that OK with you as far as comparison goes?
Old 08-13-2013   #80
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

- undersized
- not great arm strength
- not great mobility, but better than what we are used to.
- spread QB

What's there really to like about this kid at this point in his career? He doesn't seem to have the "it" factor.
Well, Flutie was listed at 5'10, but I think he was shorter than that.

Dave Krieg was listed at 6'1, but I think he's shorter than that, too.
But let's say he's 6'1, that's only 3/8 of an inch more than Keenum.
And he played 19 years in the NFL.

Did Keenum's height led to batted passes more than the guys that were drafted?
No.
Did it lead to more INT?
No.

What is it that concern you?

Drew Brees is listed at 6'0 and 208lbs by Wiki.
Keenum measured in at 6-5/8 and 208lbs at the combine.

His ball velocity was clocked at the same number as Yates, I believe.
It also compares favorably with many drafted QBs the last several years.

I've seen him throw the ball 52 yards from the LOS (pro-rating to a straight line.)
Before last year, the furthest I've seen Schaub throw was 47 yards, and Yates 50 - in a real game.

We have Schau and you talk about mobility?
You know it's funny, don't you.

Do you know that Keenum ran for 2,000 yards and 41 TDs in 42 high school games?
Does that sound like a lack of mobility to you?

Spread QB?
Brady and Brees are playing in a spread system right now.
Brees played in a spread system at Purdue, too.
(I don't know about Brady.)

RG III played in a spread system with Art Briles, the same coach that Keenum had when he first arrived at UH.

Brandon Weeden played in a spread system, too.
The offensive coordinator at UH in 08-09 was Dana Holgorsen.
He left to take the job at Okla. St. in 2010.

Are you satisfied with my answers?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read