Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2013   #21
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is No Tackling in Our Practices Leading to Missed Tackling in Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
link

And there in lies a great deal of the problems of any team not allowing follow through tackling.

Effort to the ball=Looks like Tarzan

Not wrapping up=Plays like Jane
Swagg, was that you?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #22
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is No Tackling in Our Practices Leading to Missed Tackling in Games?

I think this whole concept is rather silly. People forget that the best athletes in the world are running with the ball. They are at those offensive positions for "a reason." That reason is because they are extremely elusive and strong amongst other attributes. It ain't easy tackling any top flight offensive skill player. These guys know how to tackle just fine. If it was so easy we wouldn't see hardly any scoring from any teams all these years. I don't think that doing less tackling drills is causing any of this. I think that people are just looking for reasons to point the finger at for missed tackles. You can do all of the tackling drills in the world, but it's not going to make it a hell of a lot easier to tackle a guy like AP in the open field or Jamal Charles if you take a bad angle at the guy running across the field, or have a healthy Andre Johnson running at you when you don't have great timing to get your body ready to explode at him when he gets close. Guys know how to tackle just fine in the NFL. They're having to tackle the best guys in the world. It aint easy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

DJ looked like Keo bouncing off that FB instead of a future starting S. If I remember correctly Keo bounced right off guys his first game also. I think some of these "big hitters" in College find out that they better use more technique at the pay for play level since the Pros are a little bigger and stronger than College boy. I think we see sloppy tackling just about every year right off the bat. It takes a game or two for everybody to adjust to the contact every year, especially the rookies. It's hard and a little bit unnatural giving up your bodies welfare and throwing your body at someone. It's all a part of getting in "football shape".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #24
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm afraid that the tackling in preseason does impact the number and severity of injuries and I'm kinda freaked about all the injuries this year.

I'm going to have to vote leave it alone and fix the tackling as we get to and into the regular season. Tackling is a something you can control/fix short term.....you're kind of stuck with the injury. Injuries aren't someting "we'll work on fixing that on Wednesday"
Old 08-11-2013   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Swearinger missed that tackle on Line, but he had an ok game otherwise. He had some other good tackles as well. Pleasant couldn't get him down either, but he had a nice game otherwise as well.

I'm not worried about that. Yeah, I'd like to see then get the guy down, but I think we'll be fine. Everyone that's ever played defense has missed some tackles. It happens. You just don't want it to become a habit.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #26
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Swearinger missed that tackle on Line, but he had an ok game otherwise. He had some other good tackles as well. Pleasant couldn't get him down either, but he had a nice game otherwise as well.

I'm not worried about that. Yeah, I'd like to see then get the guy down, but I think we'll be fine. Everyone that's ever played defense has missed some tackles. It happens. You just don't want it to become a habit.
DJ agrees as well. In his post game interview he said he made a mistake by trying to "blow him up" instead of going low and taking his legs out, that he's learned his lesson and it wouldn't happen again. I really hope that's the case. I wonder how difficult it is to 'unlearn' a playing style though as the hard hit vs. wrapping up has been his MO seemingly forever.

If he's really learned his lesson I think he'll only improve. I can't wait to see that!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #27
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
DJ agrees as well. In his post game interview he said he made a mistake by trying to "blow him up" instead of going low and taking his legs out, that he's learned his lesson and it wouldn't happen again. I really hope that's the case. I wonder how difficult it is to 'unlearn' a playing style though as the hard hit vs. wrapping up has been his MO seemingly forever.

If he's really learned his lesson I think he'll only improve. I can't wait to see that!
I hope DJ learned a lesson, but you CAN make a good tackle and blow they guy up at the same time. I hope THAT is the lesson DJ learns.

I've seen way too many examples of DB's diving at the feet of receivers and whiffing. Just wrap up instead of lowering the shoulder. Not difficult.
Old 08-11-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how many people have actually seen him play and not just watched highlights or heard people talk about him. Yes he has some big hits, but he's a solid tackler. On the play where he missed the tackle, he tried to deliver a blow and wrap up. Look at it again...he brought his arms, he just missed.

As far as db's not wrapping up a lot of times, it's because they are usually smaller than the guys they are tackling. Not many db's are meeting a rb in the open and tackling how a LB would. Some guys just can't physically wrap other guys up and make tackles so they try to go through their legs and take them out that way.

Then you have some guys that can wrap up but they want to deliver a massive blow and they'll hit a guy up top without wrapping up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #29
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Tackling was always rough once you got to make full speed contact, it's all about the angles and small adjustments. It takes a bit to get back used to the speed of the game.. it's the first pre-season game relax.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #30
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve McKinney was on 13's extra points show and said that even when he was playing all the way back with the Colts they didn't do much tackling at training camp.

So, it's not really a new thing.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Steve McKinney was on 13's extra points show and said that even when he was playing all the way back with the Colts they didn't do much tackling at training camp.

So, it's not really a new thing.
When did the Indy Colts ever have a good defense?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
When did the Indy Colts ever have a good defense?
Old 08-12-2013   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
DJ looked like Keo bouncing off that FB instead of a future starting S. If I remember correctly Keo bounced right off guys his first game also. I think some of these "big hitters" in College find out that they better use more technique at the pay for play level since the Pros are a little bigger and stronger than College boy. I think we see sloppy tackling just about every year right off the bat. It takes a game or two for everybody to adjust to the contact every year, especially the rookies. It's hard and a little bit unnatural giving up your bodies welfare and throwing your body at someone. It's all a part of getting in "football shape".
/EndConverstion

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read