Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2013   #541
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 93420 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Nervous habits. These are kids. They're intimidated enough talking to adults, not to mention a TV crew.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #542
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Nervous habits. These are kids. They're intimidated enough talking to adults, not to mention a TV crew.
It has to be intimidating.

Ya know?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #543
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Deandre made a heck of a catch in that game, and he showed a lot promises in general; however, I still think that we need to temper the enthusiasm.

The Vikings didn't play their top five CBs.

The sixth one is #27 Brandon Burton; I haven't zeroed in to see if Hopkins had any catch on this guy or not.

Actually, the sixth one is Marcus Sherels #35.

The Vikings had made some off-season moves; basically with the addition of Jacob Lacey (a 5th-yr spot starter for the Colts until he got injured) and Xavier Rhodes in the draft, so Sherels was bumped to the 7th spot.

Bobby Felton, the guy that Hopkins abused, was a PS player, and considered to be the 8th CB on their depth chart.

Unless there's an injury or two, Felton will most likely see the PS again.

I do like Hopkins a lot, and had upgraded the possibility of him to become a number one down the road if he keeps working hard on his craft.
(From 5% around draft time to 10-12% at the moment.)

I did assess that eventually, Hopkins should be an upgrade over Walter; however, I'm still not sure that I want to expect 40 plus catches in his rookie year (if all the main weapons for the Texans remain relatively healthy.)
There's a decent possibility, not a strong probability.

Lead not the cart in front of the horse, but enjoy what should unfold in his future.
Knock on wood, Hopkins doesn't incur an injury himself.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #544
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Deandre made a heck of a catch in that game, and he showed a lot promises in general; however, I still think that we need to temper the enthusiasm.

The Vikings didn't play their top five CBs.

The sixth one is #27 Brandon Burton; I haven't zeroed in to see if Hopkins had any catch on this guy or not.
This is preseason. Personally I think even if it were their top CB, we don't know if he's playing at 100% or if he "understands" it's a preseason game.

All offseason, we heard that DeAndre is the kind of receiver you could throw the ball up for & he'll go get it. We saw him do that. Good for us. Whether he can do it with any regularity won't be "known" until Dec 30th.

I think that's why some folks are so discouraged with LeStar Jean. They put too much stock in that first preseason performance, even though they know it was all meaningless & does not translate as well into the regular season as we'd hope.

Football is a team game & the way the defense plays you in the regular season, is totally different from the way they play you in the preseason. Schemes are different, teammates are different, situations are different..
Old 08-12-2013   #545
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming health and the number of snaps expected only 40 catches (2.5 average per game) would be a mild disappointment, although not career damning.
Old 08-12-2013   #546
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Assuming health and the number of snaps expected only 40 catches (2.5 average per game) would be a mild disappointment, although not career damning.
I honestly don't care what his receiving yards are, or his total catches. I'll be disappointed if he's got less than a 13 ypc average. I'd like for it to be over 16.

Whether that comes off of YAC or a bunch of deep passes doesn't matter. It stretches the defense & that's what we need our WR to do. Back them up & spread them out.

If he's got KDub numbers, less than 13 ypc he's not much of an upgrade. He's an undersized TE.
Old 08-12-2013   #547
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really Arlington; I think it's a realistic goal considering Kubiak's penchant to work the ball to AJ and spread the wealth depending on how the defense plays us.

OD and Graham may see a lot of catches if the D doesn't want to get burned by the play action.

Foster may see 74 catches like he did that one year if the D decide to play deep.

Or the Texans may see only 467 attempts like in 2011 (thus limiting the pass catching opportunity for everybody on the roster.)
Old 08-12-2013   #548
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There were 114 players in the league who caught at least 40 catches last year. On average that is around 3.5 players per team. Even if Hopkins winds up as the Texans 4th option he should be 50/50 at worst to clear 40 reception.

the Texans force the ball the Andre Johnson because the rest of the WRs, were not good WRs (when walter was his better version of himself he was 60 catch guy) As good as he is, Johnson could easily take one less catch per game still have 100 catches probably being more efficient/effective.

If you force me I will list some the unimpressive WRs in bad passing games with way worse QBs who caught 40 balls. That is not a standard of anything significant.
Old 08-12-2013   #549
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I honestly don't care what his receiving yards are, or his total catches. I'll be disappointed if he's got less than a 13 ypc average. I'd like for it to be over 16.

Whether that comes off of YAC or a bunch of deep passes doesn't matter. It stretches the defense & that's what we need our WR to do. Back them up & spread them out.

If he's got KDub numbers, less than 13 ypc he's not much of an upgrade. He's an undersized TE.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings

Jacoby jones did exactly what you said as a Texans at least catch, stretching the defense and people could not wait to run him out of town.

and undersized TE describes Walter.

Hopkins was drafted and is expected to be a legitimate starting NFL WR. This means he is a complete player...get open, catch the ball several times a game, get yards per catch, block well enough..and on occasion make a play that average WRs can't make.
Old 08-12-2013   #550
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jacoby jones did exactly what you said as a Texans at least catch, stretching the defense and people could not wait to run him out of town.

Hopkins was drafted and is expected to be a legitimate starting NFL WR. This means he is a complete player...get open, catch the ball several times a game, get yards per catch, block well enough..and on occasion make a play that average WRs can't make.
Hopkins appears to have better hands than the trio of crap named Jean/Jones/Walter. (Blasphemy)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #551
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There were 114 players in the league who caught at least 40 catches last year. On average that is around 3.5 players per team. Even if Hopkins winds up as the Texans 4th option he should be 50/50 at worst to clear 40 reception.

the Texans force the ball the Andre Johnson because the rest of the WRs, were not good WRs (when walter was his better version of himself he was 60 catch guy) As good as he is, Johnson could easily take one less catch per game still have 100 catches probably being more efficient/effective.

If you force me I will list some the unimpressive WRs in bad passing games with way worse QBs who caught 40 balls. That is not a standard of anything significant.
You really don't need to because - seriously - we have gone over this.

Teams are not alike in their make-up and their offensive philosophy.

Bad teams, for example, find themselves behind the eight-ball very often, and are forced to open up their passing game.

Some teams run a spread with more emphasis on their receivers than TEs, FB (some don't even have a FB) and RBs.

There are several reasons why things happened, and they vary for different teams.

But the Texans are not one of those teams.

It is possible that the defense might allow Kubiak to target Hopkins more, but it's not a given.

Look at Ashley Lelie, who was drafted at #19 overall by the Broncos in 2002.
He had 35 catches as a rookie and 37 in his second year, and the dude was 6'3.
Old 08-12-2013   #552
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You really don't need to because - seriously - we have gone over this.

Teams are not alike in their make-up and their offensive philosophy.

Bad teams, for example, find themselves behind the eight-ball very often, and are forced to open up their passing game.

Some teams run a spread with more emphasis on their receivers than TEs, FB (some don't even have a FB) and RBs.

There are several reasons why things happened, and they vary for different teams.

But the Texans are not one of those teams.

It is possible that the defense might allow Kubiak to target Hopkins more, but it's not a given.

Look at Ashley Lelie, who was drafted at #19 overall by the Broncos in 2002.
He had 35 catches as a rookie and 37 in his second year, and the dude was 6'3.
The Texans passing game did not work against good football teams, so they need something more than some replacement level 40 catches from the "other" guy. lestar jean can drop 40 passes with enough snaps. This is not a Texans offense works this way thing, this is a Texans offense did not work when it mattered thing. I don't need screen shots and watching games 8 times to tell me the obvious. The obvious is that 40 catches from your number 2 WR does not work in the current NFL (Ashlie L...really).
Old 08-12-2013   #553
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I've said time & time again if I had to choose between Walter & Jacoby, I'm going with Jacoby. The Texans chose to go with Watler & we got what we did in 2012.. still a respectable offense, but I blame our quantity over quality run game squarely on that decision.

Jacoby was as good a blocker as KDub, but Jacoby was blocking 40 yards down field.
Old 08-12-2013   #554
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
I've said time & time again if I had to choose between Walter & Jacoby, I'm going with Jacoby. The Texans chose to go with Watler & we got what we did in 2012.. still a respectable offense, but I blame our quantity over quality run game squarely on that decision.

Jacoby was as good a blocker as KDub, but Jacoby was blocking 40 yards down field.
TK, there is something to this post ...like it.
Old 08-12-2013   #555
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:

TK, there is something to this post ...like it.
Old 08-12-2013   #556
ArlingtonTexan

BTW, for those who think I am being meanly dismissive of A. lelei

never caught more than 54 ( was a high YPA catch dude though) and was gone after 4 season with 3 years under 40 catches. Basically, was a 1st round bust.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...L/LeliAs00.htm
Old 08-12-2013   #557
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

2006 Eric Moulds 57 rec.
2007 Kevin Walter 65 rec.
2008 Kevin Walter 60 rec.
2009 Kevin Walter 53 rec.
2010 Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones 51 rec. each
2011 Kevin Walter 39 rec.- without Schaub for a third of the season.
2012 Kevin Walter 41 rec.

Not seeing where Kubiak's system keeps WRs not named AJ below 40 rec.

Also I think it is more than a little absurd to think they drafted Hopkins and are going to turn around and treat him just like Walter.
Old 08-12-2013   #558
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans passing game did not work against good football teams, so they need something more than some replacement level 40 catches from the "other" guy. lestar jean can drop 40 passes with enough snaps. This is not a Texans offense works this way thing, this is a Texans offense did not work when it mattered thing. I don't need screen shots and watching games 8 times to tell me the obvious. The obvious is that 40 catches from your number 2 WR does not work in the current NFL (Ashlie L...really).
It worked just fine against Denver, Baltimore, and Cincinnati.

That being said, upgrading is necessary. Part of the 2nd guy issue is all the throws to the tight ends. Owen Daniels had 60 catches last year, and Garrett Graham had another 28. Daniels is certainly the 2nd best pass catcher the Texans have had. There's a good chance that changes this year, due to both Owen being a little older (lowest y/r since his rookie year) and Hopkins being that good.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #559
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
It worked just fine against Denver, Baltimore, and Cincinnati.

So you missed the last month of the NFL season and a couple weeks of the playoffs save one game?
Old 08-12-2013   #560
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you missed the last month of the NFL season and a couple weeks of the playoffs save one game?
Ah, so what you really meant was "the last month of the season and one of the two playoff games" as opposed to "against good teams."

My bad.

In which case, I'd say that the right side of the line has more experience and is healthier and Hopkins/ healthy Graham/Daniels > Daniels/Walter/injured Graham.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read