Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should start if Matt decided not to play another down?
Tj Yates 9 9.38%
Case Keenum 48 50.00%
Schaub can't do that 10 10.42%
May the best man win 29 30.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2013   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Let's say Matt's wife talks him into hanging it up before the season starts.... go live on a Hawaiian Island or something (it could happen), Who would you rather as our starting QB?

Tj Yates: From North Carolina, been running "our" system for at least 4 years.

Case: NCAAF passing leader (of all time)... he has "it"

poll coming
Old 08-11-2013   #2
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
There you go. Been running it 4 years and still not all that good at it.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

After the Vikings game, I'm partial to Case. Before the Vikings game, I was partial to TJ.

I'd need to see more of both of them before I could say.

As a UH grad, I would love it story-wise if Case beat out TJ and turned into the second coming of Joe Montana. But I just want the best QB on the field, not the best story.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to state for the record that I didn't read all the options and didn't see "May the Best Man Win". I was thinking it was an either or and looked for my choice between the two and clicked away.

Had a finished reading the options I'd have clicked on "May The Best Man Win"

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
After the Vikings game, I'm partial to Case. Before the Vikings game, I was partial to TJ.

As a UH grad, I would love it story-wise if Case beat out TJ and turned into the second coming of Joe Montana. But I just want the best QB on the field, not the best story.
I feel pretty much the same way , pre Vikes I figured it was Yates job but post Vikes , I think its an open competition.
Its probably still "Yates job to lose" , but the pressure is ratcheted up a few notches. Keenum likely has to significantly outplay Yates but he has a shot to earn the job.

I do believe that Keenum had the better showing Vs the Vikes by a pretty wide margin. Yates started very slowly ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's say Matt's wife talks him into hanging it up before the season starts.... go live on a Hawaiian Island or something (it could happen), Who would you rather as our starting QB?

Case: NCAAF passing leader (of all time)... he has "it"

poll coming
This is Yate's 4th year in the system. He hasn't been running the system for four years. Next preseason you can say he's been running the system for four years.

I voted for Keenum. That "it" he seems to have is greater than the sum of Yates' experience, IMHO.
Old 08-11-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Had a finished reading the options I'd have clicked on "May The Best Man Win"
No worries. If there's plenty of participation in this thread, I'll start another one after week 2, then week 3, then week 4
Old 08-11-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This is Yate's 4th year in the system. He hasn't been running the system for four years. Next preseason you can say he's been running the system for four years.

I voted for Keenum. That "it" he seems to have is greater than the sum of Yates' experience, IMHO.
Actually I was trying to include his Junior & Senior year at UNC.... but my math is bad either way.
Old 08-11-2013   #9
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub had to hang it up before the season started I would have to say that the QB who gives us the best chance to win isn't on our roster.

We'd trade for someone. I'm not going to say who but I know that Kubiak has connections. *Hint Hint*

If Schaub finishes out his contract I could see Case possibly improving more and being able to hold the starting job.

Yates wasn't even impressive at UNC.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

May the best man win.

But I have a feeling it'd be Case eventually taking over whether he got it immediately or not. TJ seems like a career backup to me, but Case has starting potential if he can learn the pro game.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post

Yates wasn't even impressive at UNC.
Uh.... he was drafted. The other guy was passed by 32 teams 7 times.

That's 32 x 7 = Something like a million times.
Old 08-11-2013   #12
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Matt Cassel never played a down in college and got drafted.

Jason White won the heisman and went undrafted.

Matt Flynn was a 7th round pick and came in and torched the Lions as a back-up which led to his nice paychecks in Seattle and Oakland.

It all depends on what scouts see during the pre-draft process. It doesn't mean all scouts are right.

If all scouts were right, Ryan Leaf would be in the elite status, Tom Brady would be a nobody, Charles Rogers would be better than AJ, and Watt wouldn't have had 20.5 sacks last season....

Direct quote from Watt's combine scouting report

Quote:
WEAKNESSES: Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get off or quickness. Plays high at times, can be blown off the ball by the double team, but does fight hard to hold ground. Lacks some lateral mobility both rushing the passer and playing in space. Will occasionally give up outside contain.
Bolded everything wrong in this scouting report.

Obviously scouts/coaches saw more in Yates than they did in Keenum but that doesn't mean Yates will be the better pro.

Scouts aren't always right. Scouts don't decide a player's future.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #13
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No worries. If there's plenty of participation in this thread, I'll start another one after week 2, then week 3, then week 4
Yeah, I voted 'may the best man win' due to how early it is. I'm sure one or the other will win my vote in the weeks to come.
Old 08-11-2013   #14
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

This thread should have waited until at least next week. I'm really not going take a position on this yet
Old 08-11-2013   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
This thread should have waited until at least next week. I'm really not going take a position on this yet
I think its pretty telling that Kubiak stated they are considering playing Keenum ahead of Yates against Miami ....

Yes , we need a greater sample size from both to make a decision .... But I'm somewhat surprised that its a battle at all. When camp opened , I didn't give Keenum much of a chance at making the roster much less being the #2.

After watching parts of camp and both play against Minny , I have to believe that both are on the table for Keenum.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #16
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69762 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub can't do that!

Old 08-11-2013   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I genuinely don't give a rats ass who the QB. Let the better QB win.

FTR - Case had it in college. There's no proof he has it in the pros. Actually 32 franchises decided he didn't have it when he went undrafted. Minor point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

May the best man win. I've never had a problem with Yates winning the #2 job. I have a problem with people who are writing off/want to write off Keenum without letting them compete. If Yates beats out Keenum (he ought to, given his experience), then good for him. Frankly, I had hoped he'd be competing with Schaub at this point instead of Keenum.

But don't push another man down just because you want confirmation of your bias.
Old 08-11-2013   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow!!! You are bad at math!!!!
Old 08-11-2013   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
It should have stayed in the existing Keenum thread. I would have merged it, but I don't know what would have happened to the poll.

There won't be another poll after each preseason game. This is THE poll. Two threads about the backup QB is enough.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read