Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-10-2013   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL pulls plug on customize face masks

Quote:
The National Football League is pulling the plug on elaborate, customized face masks that several prominent NFL defensive players had planned to wear this season.
In an email to the Associated Press, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that the customized mask that Indianapolis Colts linebacker Robert Mathis had been wearing during training camp would not be approved for use during games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...235936743.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: NFL pulls plug on customize face masks

Shweww..... for a minute there I was worried about the integrity of the game.

Old 08-10-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

So Justin tuck won't be able to wear his patented woven face mask either?

I liked those. I wonder if there's a safety reason for it?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

They are allowing them if you get a note from your doctor. Two players have already had them approved.
Old 08-10-2013   #5
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad to see this. Unless there is a functional reason for having such a mask, they need to stay with the standard options.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard for me to think of a reason for this rule except the league may have a concern over the player playing with "blind spots" or opponents' fingers getting caught and twisted/broken in the small spaces, or in the case of visors, creating reflection into the opponents eyes. With that said, I'm starting more and more to warm up to the idea that face masks should be removed altogether. Have the players think twice before they engage their skulls and faces........without first engaging their brain.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #7
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I'm glad to see this. Unless there is a functional reason for having such a mask, they need to stay with the standard options.

Why would they need to stick to the standard?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Undoubtedly for the same reason they need to have their socks pulled up and their jerseys tucked in. (Please don't ask me why they would need to have their sock pulled up and their jerseys tucked in). (Thanks!)
Old 08-10-2013   #9
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Undoubtedly for the same reason they need to have their socks pulled up and their jerseys tucked in. (Please don't ask me why they would need to have their sock pulled up and their jerseys tucked in). (Thanks!)

Not really the same thing and there are already a number of available face mask, having a few more designs does nothing to the overall look such as an untucked jersey or socks around your ankles
Old 08-10-2013   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's hard for me to think of a reason for this rule except the league may have a concern over the player playing with "blind spots" or opponents' fingers getting caught and twisted/broken in the small spaces, or in the case of visors, creating reflection into the opponents eyes. With that said, I'm starting more and more to warm up to the idea that face masks should be removed altogether. Have the players think twice before they engage their skulls and faces........without first engaging their brain.
Every time I look at those particular face masks I think that very thing. I instinctively retract my fingers to my hand...lol.
Old 08-10-2013   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really the same thing and there are already a number of available face mask, having a few more designs does nothing to the overall look such as an untucked jersey or socks around your ankles
You don't think those face masks draw more attention than the "standard" ones? You don't think it differentiates those wearing them from those not wearing them (working under the premise of course that "different is bad")
Old 08-10-2013   #12
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You don't think those face masks draw more attention than the "standard" ones? You don't think it differentiates those wearing them from those not wearing them (working under the premise of course that "different is bad")
Draw more attention? From who? I think it may be an overreaction on your part
Old 08-10-2013   #13
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like one of those things where you give someone a little leash to work with and that one guy goes over the top and screws it up for everybody.

I could care less but I guess the league disagrees.
Old 08-10-2013   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Draw more attention? From who? I think it may be an overreaction on your part
You asked a question and I gave a facetious answer, and then you get all "well what about this and well what about that" over it. Jeez - look in the mirror and then decide about overreactions.
Old 08-11-2013   #15
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You asked a question and I gave a facetious answer, and then you get all "well what about this and well what about that" over it. Jeez - look in the mirror and then decide about overreactions.
I'm pretty sure I didn't get all "what about this or that" and your overreaction came by way of a face mask being a distraction
Old 08-11-2013   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From speaking to a League official last year , this is what I essentially walked away with. Most of these I had already surmised.:

Rules for jerseys, pants and socks are based on 2 premises.

1)NFL players and team personnel are expected to dress in a professional manner while representing the League.

2)All of these uniform pieces are designed to fit like a second skin over pads and the body parts to minimize the ability for these apparels to be caught on one's own other body parts or your opponents'. This would apply to such examples as cleats on socks or a player being able to pull the top part of the untucked socks when lower limb tackling. The requirements of pants fitting over the socks and specifically fitting over the knee is there because once the pant ends ride up over the knee, they tend to continue to ride up further, eventually releasing the underlying socks. In that the league does not allow easy to tear away jerseys, they expect their jerseys to be skin tight with no loose ends to be grabbed and used to an opponent's advantage either and possibly to the players detriment such as simulating a whiplash in the form of a mini-horse collar. Once the jerseys are no longer properly tightly tucked, the entire jersey tends to become loosened.
Old 08-11-2013   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The National Football League says so. That's it. No further reason necessary and the players need to STFU and cash their checks. It's no different from the NFL telling us that we can only bring approved transparent bags in the stadium or any of a countless number of of other sort of pointless rules that exist "because the NFL says so".

The NFL says no facemasks they don't approve. That's all the explanation necessary. Obviously there are justifications for things (re: Cloak's post about the uniform being designed to fit like a second skin) but beyond that these guys work for the NFL and the NFL says you have to wear what they say when you come to work. Sometimes it's silly and sometimes it's annoying but that's what they want so that's how it is.
Old 08-11-2013   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The National Football League says so. That's it. No further reason necessary and the players need to STFU and cash their checks. It's no different from the NFL telling us that we can only bring approved transparent bags in the stadium or any of a countless number of of other sort of pointless rules that exist "because the NFL says so".

The NFL says no facemasks they don't approve. That's all the explanation necessary. Obviously there are justifications for things (re: Cloak's post about the uniform being designed to fit like a second skin) but beyond that these guys work for the NFL and the NFL says you have to wear what they say when you come to work. Sometimes it's silly and sometimes it's annoying but that's what they want so that's how it is.
You want to keep your job? So, I must have it wrong. You aren't really complaining about the dress code here, are you?

Old 08-11-2013   #19
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 11446 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I showed up to work wearing ties for the last 15 yrs. I'm still waiting for that one rebel in the building to take off his and slam it to the floor yelling," I hate ties! Why do we have to wear them?"
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #20
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because there are plenty of options, from QB masks with very little iron to line and LB masks with plenty of protection.

The ones they are banning aren't adding any extra protection in the design. These guys are pushing the envelope to try to do anything they can to visually set themselves apart. They have a number and a visible name on their jersey unless they wear their hair so long that it can't be read. That's enough.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read