Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013   #201
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

I thought every player competed for every job. If all things are relatively equal, I can see a vet getting the lead. IMO, if Yates and Keenum continue to play as each did against Vikes, Keenum will be the better player. I don't care whom is # 2 as long as he is the better. If Schaub plays as he did 2012, neither back up will get much field time; at least until the end of the season.
Old 08-10-2013   #202
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I thought every player competed for every job.
Not in TK's world. Coaches in TK's world do not support competition. They support caste systems.
Old 08-10-2013   #203
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I said in my inital post here I don't know who the best QB is right now, but to me Yates wasn't all that great in that stretch of games he started and wasn't great last preseason. I want the best QB TODAY on the field. Vince Young is 31-19 as a starter, but it took him forever to get another shot. If TJ shows that he's better then fine, but his play from 2 years ago shouldn't win him the job THIS year. Just my opinion.
It would be great if what we thought was taken into account by Kubiak.... but it's not. If Kubiak was as unimpressed as you were in Tj's performance, he'd have brought someone in to compete with Tj last season.

Since he did not, I assume he saw enough in Tj to think he could be at the very least a decent insurance policy in the event Schaub doesn't play 16 games in 2012. The goal then was Super Bowl, same as it is today.

I mentioned in another thread, completions, TDs, ratings, etc.... or lack thereof are not as important as knowing the playbook, running the offense as designed, getting the ball out on time, & taking care of the football. So what we saw in the preseason last season most likely wasn't what Kubiak saw in the preseason last year.

Before anyone says I'm contradicting myself, I said "not as important" not "not important" If he's got the playbook, runs the offense, gets the ball out on time, & takes care of the football (the fundamentals) + the numbers, that's an A+ grade. If he's got the numbers, but not the fundamentals (as defined earlier) that's a C grade. If he's got the fundamentals but not the numbers, that's a B+ or something similar.

Kubiak can plan around the fundamentals. He can give his team a reasonable chance to win if he can reasonably expect a certain level of "production." We saw it with Tj the rookie, we saw it with the 2012 OL & WRs. It's much more difficult to squeeze out wins if he's got a maverick QB (not that Case is maverick) or wild variations of performance from key components of his offense. We saw that with Tj the rookie as well. We saw it with Jacoby.
Old 08-10-2013   #204
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's not my philosophy. It's what it is. If Keenum was truly competing with Tj, they never would have brought McGee in (McGee also has NFL experience). Keenum playing as well as he is, is earning his spot on the roster. It wasn't just given to him.

I'd have an easier time believing Tj was competing for his job, if McGee was in the third spot..... but he's not.

& yes, there are still a lot of questions concerning Tj. He's never been given the full play-book in a game. If Matt gets hurt in the regular season, Yates is going to go in & prove to us he deserves to be starting. If he can't successfully answer the remaining questions, Keenum will go in. At that point, Kubiak won't have a choice. He'll have to admit that he's wrong & he'll answer the questions about 3 years back to back with green QBs.

But for Keenum to give us our best chance of winning, Tj has to stop putting up 90+ QB ratings, 60% completions, 7.2 ypc, & start turning the ball over.
I'll take Keenum's 70% completion ratio, accurate passing and making plays with his feet for 6.9 YPA over Yates' performance. A 62% completion ratio is only great of you're the QB in Buffalo, Jacksonville or Arizona.
Hell, I'm dang near ready to bet my $70K truck that Keenum will succeed Schaub rather than TJ or some future draft pick. I'm also willing to say it will happen by 2015. 2014 might actually be the year due to cap concerns.
Old 08-10-2013   #205
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not in TK's world. Coaches in TK's world do not support competition. They support caste systems.
Who's competing with Ben Tate?

Who's competing with Ben Jones for the back up center spot?

Who's competing with Brice McCain for the nickel corner?

Who's competing with Garrett Graham as the #2 TE?

Coaches blow smoke. Some make it seem obvious, some catch you off guard.

Some people fall for it, some don't.
Old 08-10-2013   #206
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who's competing with Ben Tate?

Who's competing with Ben Jones for the back up center spot?

Who's competing with Brice McCain for the nickel corner?

Who's competing with Garrett Graham as the #2 TE?

Coaches blow smoke. Some make it seem obvious, some catch you off guard.

Some people fall for it, some don't.
I think a lot of Kubiak talk about the QB's is his way of motivating both TJ and Case.

I basically liked how both of them played last night. TJ was a little slow to start, but in the end did well. Case was in control the whole way against 3s and 4s. Let's see him get a shot with 1s, 2s, and 3s.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #207
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'll take Keenum's 70% completion ratio, accurate passing and making plays with his feet for 6.9 YPA over Yates' performance. A 62% completion ratio is only great of you're the QB in Buffalo, Jacksonville or Arizona.
I would too, if they both had 100% of the playbook. Only Kubiak knows what he feels comfortable asking them to do. He'll never say it, but Yates will be our #2 QB going into San Diego because Kubiak trusts him with more than he trusts Keenum.

Quote:
Hell, I'm dang near ready to bet my $70K truck that Keenum will succeed Schaub rather than TJ or some future draft pick. I'm also willing to say it will happen by 2015. 2014 might actually be the year due to cap concerns.
& I wouldn't touch that bet with a 10 foot pole. I think Kubiak thinks we can win with Yates... I don't think he believes Tj is the future. I think Kubiak believes Keenum may be the future, but that doesn't make him the back up for 2012.
Old 08-10-2013   #208
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I think a lot of Kubiak talk about the QB's is his way of motivating both TJ and Case.

I basically liked how both of them played last night. TJ was a little slow to start, but in the end did well. Case was in control the whole way against 3s and 4s. Let's see him get a shot with 1s, 2s, and 3s.
He needs Case to understand & prepare as if he will be the #2 QB at some point in the season.

Odds are that he will be.
Old 08-10-2013   #209
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would too, if they both had 100% of the playbook. Only Kubiak knows what he feels comfortable asking them to do. He'll never say it, but Yates will be our #2 QB going into San Diego because Kubiak trusts him with more than he trusts Keenum.

& I wouldn't touch that bet with a 10 foot pole. I think Kubiak thinks we can win with Yates... I don't think he believes Tj is the future. I think Kubiak believes Keenum may be the future, but that doesn't make him the back up for 2012.
You need to change your username to Crawfish. LMAO!!!!
Old 08-10-2013   #210
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
How am I crawfishing? Your bet is for 2014, or 2015.....

I'm saying Tj will be the back-up in 2012 regardless how well Keenum does this preseason.
Old 08-10-2013   #211
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post

If this happens - if Kubiak actually sends Keenum in with the twos - then I'll start to buy into the thought that Kubiak is actually considering Keenum as his number two. I don't recall Kubiak doing something like that since we had both Sexy Rexy and Matty Hottub vying for the #2 spot. That's the last time I remember #2 being truly up for grabs.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #212
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How am I crawfishing? Your bet is for 2014, or 2015.....

I'm saying Tj will be the back-up in 2012 regardless how well Keenum does this preseason.
um....it's 2013....can't really make a bhet about the past....just sayin....
Old 08-10-2013   #213
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If this happens - if Kubiak actually sends Keenum in with the twos - then I'll start to buy into the thought that Kubiak is actually considering Keenum as his number two. I don't recall Kubiak doing something like that since we had both Sexy Rexy and Matty Hottub vying for the #2 spot. That's the last time I remember #2 being truly up for grabs.
I think he does it. He needs Keenum to be a true back up QB for 2013. If Matt gets hurt, he'll be the #2. If Yates don't get it done, Keenum will get his shot.

Keenum is on the fast track to get as ready as he possibly can without playing in an actual NFL game that counts. He will eventually take snaps with the 1s & 2s (however that's defined this year).

But Yates will be the back up come Sept 9th
Old 08-10-2013   #214
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
um....it's 2013....can't really make a bhet about the past....just sayin....

read my mind damnit!!!
Old 08-10-2013   #215
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:

read my mind damnit!!!
I couldn't resist. I know what you meant.
Old 08-10-2013   #216
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Ok...... now I'm going to crawfish on ya.

Let's say Kubiak really believes Keenum is ahead of Tj, & makes Keenum the #2 to start the season. Then when we get an early lead, he can put Keenum in the game to get real game experience. He has 16 games to get him up to speed.

That could happen & that's a "good" argument against my no competition argument.

Another one, would be Colin Kaepenick. He had no real game experience, or very little, before he was made the #2 in San Fran & he got his team to the Super Bowl. If Schaub leads us to 5-1 or 7-1 type of season, I can see Keenum going in & taking a shot. If he fails, Kubiak can fall back on Yates without jeopardizing our Super Bowl quest too much.

So that could happen. If you think Kubiak is the roll the dice kind of guy.

If you think he's the conservative, run a draw on 3rd & 19 kind of guy, then you know there's no chance in Hades that Keenum will be our #2 Sept 9.
Old 08-11-2013   #217
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok...... now I'm going to crawfish on ya.

Let's say Kubiak really believes Keenum is ahead of Tj, & makes Keenum the #2 to start the season. Then when we get an early lead, he can put Keenum in the game to get real game experience. He has 16 games to get him up to speed.

That could happen & that's a "good" argument against my no competition argument.

Another one, would be Colin Kaepenick. He had no real game experience, or very little, before he was made the #2 in San Fran & he got his team to the Super Bowl. If Schaub leads us to 5-1 or 7-1 type of season, I can see Keenum going in & taking a shot. If he fails, Kubiak can fall back on Yates without jeopardizing our Super Bowl quest too much.

So that could happen. If you think Kubiak is the roll the dice kind of guy.

If you think he's the conservative, run a draw on 3rd & 19 kind of guy, then you know there's no chance in Hades that Keenum will be our #2 Sept 9.
We're not talking about SF. Schaub is def better than A Smith.
I think Kubes believes in what he sees. If Keenum is better than Yates, Keenum will be the back up. See also Arian Foster for clarification. Kubes will play the better player, regardless of draft position,on offense.
Old 08-11-2013   #218
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 74864 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Need aspirin.

Have a headache.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #219
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55057 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Need aspirin.

Have a headache.

Too much crawfish.
Old 08-11-2013   #220
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
We're not talking about SF. Schaub is def better than A Smith.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that. I'm saying if Schaub gets us to 5-1 or 7-1 or something like that, then gets hurt... he can throw Case in there for a couple of games & see if he's got "it"

If he doesn't & Schaub is still not ready, he can give Tj another shot.

I'm just saying Keenum is an unknown & if we build a lead early in the season Tj's experience is less of a factor. OR even without a lead, if Kubiak's plan is to get Case some reps in real games, Tj's experience is less of a factor.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read