Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013   #561
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing

Dang Joel Meyers... those glasses...
I haven't seen lenses that thick since I worked on the Hubble Space Telescope...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #562
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Dang Joel Meyers... those glasses...
I haven't seen lenses that thick since I worked on the Hubble Space Telescope...
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #563
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Willie dropped back into coverage quite a bit.

Braman and trevardo rushing from the edges in a passing situation...they exploded off the line. I liked that. A lot. It ended up being a screen, but just the burst they had off the line was nice to see.

Keyshawn Martin still looks scared to catch the ball in traffic.

Broadcast is still garbage.
From what I hear about these two guys, I'd run a draw or delay right at them on 2nd or 3rd down with medium or long to go. That burst off the line lends itself to giving up longer runs when it's right at them. If either one can show that they can set the edge or have anything other than a speed rush, maybe that will change. As it is right now, I'd pick up my 6+ YPC going right where they were, pre-snap. Just my
Old 08-10-2013   #564
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
From what I hear about these two guys, I'd run a draw or delay right at them on 2nd or 3rd down with medium or long to go. That burst off the line lends itself to giving up longer runs when it's right at them. If either one can show that they can set the edge or have anything other than a speed rush, maybe that will change. As it is right now, I'd pick up my 6+ YPC going right where they were, pre-snap. Just my
Key word there was passing situation. I don't care who is on the field. If offenses want to take the ball out of the hands of their qb's to run draws in third and longs, that's a win for us.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #565
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Key word there was passing situation. I don't care who is on the field. If offenses want to take the ball out of the hands of their qb's to run draws in third and longs, that's a win for us.
Understood in my response. I'd run a draw or delay right at those guys in a "pass situation". They will be moving up field in a hurry and leaving a vacuum behind them. They have to show more than one move before opposing O's will respect them. Braman has a bull rush, Williams is more of a speed rush. QB sees who's in and adjusts accordingly. 1st down.
Old 08-10-2013   #566
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understood in my response. I'd run a draw or delay right at those guys in a "pass situation". They will be moving up field in a hurry and leaving a vacuum behind them. They have to show more than one move before opposing O's will respect them. Braman has a bull rush, Williams is more of a speed rush. QB sees who's in and adjusts accordingly. 1st down.
Agree to disagree. Matter of fact, I'd love for another teams star qb to run draws ever third and long. That'd be awesome.
Old 08-10-2013   #567
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agree to disagree. Matter of fact, I'd love for another teams star qb to run draws ever third and long. That'd be awesome.
That's cool. What I suggested isn't revolutionary. The old Oilers(Chuck and Duck era) and the Texans do that fairly regularly, with success. Pick your poison and all.
Old 08-10-2013   #568
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's cool. What I suggested isn't revolutionary. The old Oilers(Chuck and Duck era) and the Texans do that fairly regularly, with success. Pick your poison and all.
Texans didn't have great success converting running draws on third and long. And if I'm picking a poison ill pick the poison that doesn't involve some teams star qb. If Brady wants to hand the ball of on third down and long all game long, I'm down.
Old 08-10-2013   #569
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So size matters???
I think the question is does it matter to.....you?
Old 08-10-2013   #570
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

this sucks they have the game from the vikes broadcasters
Old 08-10-2013   #571
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Texans didn't have great success converting running draws on third and long. And if I'm picking a poison ill pick the poison that doesn't involve some teams star qb. If Brady wants to hand the ball of on third down and long all game long, I'm down.
Really? AF has had pretty good success on those plays. So did Slaton. I'm keeping my opinions to Kubiak's tenure.
Old 08-11-2013   #572
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Really? AF has had pretty good success on those plays. So did Slaton. I'm keeping my opinions to Kubiak's tenure.
Still, we didn't give up too many 3rd & longs to draw plays. I'm with Rey. If they'd rather do that than challenge our secondary, I'm all for it. We'll win most of those, I'm sure of it.

That will work against a lot of teams, but we've got some speed on D & they're all pretty good tacklers.
Old 08-11-2013   #573
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Still, we didn't give up too many 3rd & longs to draw plays. I'm with Rey. If they'd rather do that than challenge our secondary, I'm all for it. We'll win most of those, I'm sure of it.

That will work against a lot of teams, but we've got some speed on D & they're all pretty good tacklers.
So you can see into the future and tell how rookies are going to do against the run? Remember how well Merci did against it? The argument is about how Braman and Williams will do against the run, not how our offense did against it. I was merely pointing out that we have had success against those kind of players.
Old 08-24-2013   #574
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Yeah, I missed it too. He's a short throw touch passer like leinhart is. He'll never be able to threaten a team who clouds the middle or forces throws outside the numbers. I was at practice a couple of days ago and its clear his lack of arm pop vs yates in terms of velocity and energy. His inability to stretch the field in any sort of way doesn't blow my skirt up. Oh well,carry on
I got a chuckle out of this.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #575
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I have really enjoyed these types of opinions. My background and
career choice has led me to put more emphasis on data than
opinion -- even expert opinion at that..

I've seen so many folks (even in my circle of friends) that poo poo
Keenum because of his lack of "arm strength" and his "height",
and those are the same folks raving about guys like Russel Wilson.

Keep in mind that Keenum's combine ball velocity was the same as
Wilson's, and Keenum is also taller than Wilson.

The only measureable that I recall being in Wilson's favor was foot
speed.

Given that Gary isn't planning on running read-option any time soon,
I think Case will be just fine in the current system.

I still keep going back to the fact that Gary should take a lesson from
Shanahan, and incorporate some of the schemes Case used in
college from time to time.

He was more successful with it that Kaepernic was at Nevada, so
why not take a shot..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I got a chuckle out of this.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read