Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

There are a bunch of things I want to see, but If I had to narrow it down to 5 it would be:

1) The LB group. Going to be a lot of young guys playing there and they have a chance to really make a case to be on the team. Merciless has been out, I don't think Reed will play much...No Cushing...No Dobbins...Lots of guys going to get a chance.

2) Hopkins. He'll have Schaub out there with him I think, so he should get some good looks. Dre won't be playing, so he will likely be our top WR.

3) Swearinger. Keo is starting, but Swagg is going to play a lot regardless.

4) Brandon Brooks. I want to see if he can truly be a beast at RG.

5) Our kicking game. I know Lechler is a beast, but I still want to see him kick just for the awe factor. Bullock, I want him to have tough kicks early and often throughout pre-season. I also want to see him get the ball deep into the EZ on kick-offs.

What do you all want to see?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #2
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing

Good list you've got. I'm interested in seeing Qberry and Newton. Newton could take a big step forward in his second year starting (I think he will start, barring injury). Qberry could be big down the road and this year if someone gets hurt.

I want to see if K. Martin has improved as much as has been written.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #3
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing

Case K. I want to see him have a phenomenal pre-season
Old 08-08-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Good list you've got. I'm interested in seeing Qberry and Newton. Newton could take a big step forward in his second year starting (I think he will start, barring injury). Qberry could be big down the road and this year if someone gets hurt.

I want to see if K. Martin has improved as much as has been written.
I want to see those things to;
I'm thinking, however, that QMan will see some time at LG (as well as Ben Jones.)

Is Jones going to be our next Center or is he going to compete with Q for the LG spot in the future?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see if Merci has improved his strength enough to hold the edge, and whether he had developed at least one pass rush move.
We're gonna need him to step up.
Old 08-08-2013   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would list it like this:

1) Hopkins. I want to see him get a few catches.

2) The RB Group outside of Tate. The #3 RB is up for grabs and they should all get a chance to play.

3) The LB Corp. There should be plenty of rookies getting opportunities.

4) Swearinger. Is he really the leader he's made out to be and can he step in and play right away if Houston needs him to?

5) The O-line. I want to see Brooks dominate myself, the battle for the starting RT & I want to see how Quessenberry performs.

Almost made the five:

The WR Corps. Can any of the young WR's in Martin, Bonner, Jean actually contribute this year? Martin/Jean really didn't last year...

The #2 QB battle Keenum or Yates? Should be fun to watch.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Keshawn Martin, Andy Cruse, Alec Lemon, Alan Bonner,

Ryan Griffin,

Brandon Brooks, David Quessenberry

Dennis Johnson/Cierre Wood

Randy Bullock,

Daniel Muir, David Hunter, Chris Jones

Justin Tuggle, Willie Jefferson,

AJ Bouye,

and of course NukDaBomb & JungleBoi_Swagg.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2013   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I want to see if Merci has improved his strength enough to hold the edge, and whether he had developed at least one pass rush move.
I think you're gonna have to wait until at least the Miami game to see that, as Mercilus is unlikely to play tomorrow night.
Old 08-08-2013   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Is Merciless playing?

I was under the impression that he was a no-go? At least that's what I thought I had read....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Is Merciless playing?

I was under the impression that he was a no-go? At least that's what I thought I had read....
Mercilus will be lucky to be back to practice next week. Preseason game participation even the following game would be very unwise if you want him healthy for the opener.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think you're gonna have to wait until at least the Miami game to see that, as Mercilus is unlikely to play tomorrow night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Is Merciless playing?

Ah well, I forgot about that!

I've read about it, but it slipped my mind.
Well, here's the chance for the youngsters to show what they can do.
Old 08-08-2013   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more interested in NOT seeing something..............INJURIES, that is. Mall of America harbors a Field turf surface.

Data from the NFL's injury surveillance system, which covered 2,680 games played on grass or FieldTurf between 2000 and 2009. They found players suffered 1,528 knee sprains and 1,503 ankle sprains during those games, and both types of injuries were 22 percent more common in games played on FieldTurf. In particular, ACL sprains - often considered season-ending injuries - were 67 percent more common on FieldTurf than on natural grass.

Of course, I am also interested in seeing the things that others have mentioned. But with all of the early rehabbing already going around, here's hoping for an injury free game.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins, Case, LBs, and the kickers I will be concentrating on. But there is a lot about this game to watch besides just those, most especially the 3rd string RB battle who gets the last of the WR positions.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everybody's covered it.

The main thing in this game is to just see the young guys and the fringe players. The starters aren't going to be out there long (if at all.)

The LBs (O and I) will have my attention. I want to see TJ and Case play well. I want to see Cierre Wood vs. Dennis Johnson.

Hell...

I want to see every group. I want to see my 2013 Texans.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #15
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys pretty much covered it, but I'll get specific down to player instead of position. I have many more than 5, but I'll list five.

1) Willie Jefferson - camp phenom or phenomenal?

2) Hopkins - I have a lot of confidence this is the right pick - yet I want to see him carry his success in camp over to the bright lights.

3) Dennis Johnson - I was really happy when we signed him and I'm not shocked about his running. But he's small. Can he do the little things that give him a chance to be the star RB of the future, or will he always have to be a bit player?

4) Case Keenum - He started out like a house afire, and now reports are he's sort of come back to Earth and TJ is coming on strong. I'm really interested to see how Case looks in a game vs. TJ.

5) Keshawn Martin - Reports from camp have been super encouraging. Can he carry his newfound confidence over to a game? Or is he still going to be a tentative guy that lacks concentration and drops too many balls. We'll get our first look see tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2013   #16
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 2473 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited to see a texans game period. First thing is seeing how Matt Schaub is moving in the pocket and in his progression. Second thing is special teams play. Third thing is the right side of the line. Fourth thing is linebackers. Fifth thing is secondary improvement.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #17
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Texan football.
Old 08-08-2013   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm more interested in NOT seeing something..............INJURIES, that is. Mall of America harbors a Field turf surface.

Data from the NFL's injury surveillance system, which covered 2,680 games played on grass or FieldTurf between 2000 and 2009. They found players suffered 1,528 knee sprains and 1,503 ankle sprains during those games, and both types of injuries were 22 percent more common in games played on FieldTurf. In particular, ACL sprains - often considered season-ending injuries - were 67 percent more common on FieldTurf than on natural grass.
Doc, I was wondering if turf injuries would be decreased by using less traction-grabbing soles on their shoes? Like, a slippery sole? More slip/stretch injuries but less ACL type injuries?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

WR corps - tons of young talent out there, and a few guys that might be in their final Texans training camp.

DL - I want to see what Crick and Mitchell can do.

ILB - Is Joe Mays playing? I want to watch him.

QB - Yates vs. Keenum

OL - Want to see Quessenberry. Want to see how Ben Jones does. Not particularly high on Newton, but I want him to make me a believer.

What I don't want to see - injuries.
Old 08-08-2013   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
Case K. I want to see him have a phenomenal pre-season
So do alot of other folks, myself included, but his latest camp reviews have not been stellar. We'll see.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read